• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Are there songs that specifically bring back memories of DXing?

A modern short wave side-note here. It's 7:15 AM and I have the stream of R. Rumbos taping.

Wow -- it's the same morning news show I remember. That presentation must take a whale of a lot of writing for those two duelling anchors to fill up the non-stop barrage of audio.

The doorbell gongs are more subdued now, a quarter of a century after I remember enjoying them. The SFX aren't as bawdy and crass and as 'WAKE UP!!!' as they had been then.
Still, positional sonic upgrades noted: that must still be quite a wakeup nudge for listeners in Caracas and enviorns.

That sounder between news stories is what made R. Rumbos easy to identify. I had no idea they were still on SW....especially with all the turmoil going on in Venezuela.

YVRQ-910 Caracas 'RQ 910' also has a doorbell sound at their TOH. When the aurora is raging on the east coast, check out 910 and listen at the TOH for a doorbell gong. Easily IDed.

This old American Contemporary News sounder from WABC is so nostalgic.
ABC exploited a loophole in the FCC's restriction against any company operating more than one network.
From New Years Day, 1968, they sent four newscasts down the same line, but at different parts of the hour.
The American Information Radio Network at :00
The American FM Radio Network at :15
The American Entertainment Radio Network at :30
The American Contemporary Radio Network at :55
ABC Direction and ABC Rock were added when satellite delivery began on January 4, 1982.
Things changed as Citadel in 2007 and Cumulus in 2014 became involved. O&O's now carry CNN news
Here are some more details.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom