• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Random K-Earth Observation

ScottBurns

Star Participant
Is it me, or does the music on K-Earth make the station sound like one of those failed "80s and More" formats of about 15 years ago?

Is it me, or does the music on K-Earth make the station sound like one of those failed "80s and More" formats of about 15 years ago?

The difference is that KRTH cumes 3 million people and has been Top 5 in 25-54 since February and top 10 for over a year.

That's the funny thing about 15 years, Scott. Stuff changes. The folks who were 30 then and still listening to CHR are 45 now and lovin' KRTH.

Not in LA, but an oldies radio guy from way back. Used to love the oldies station in my midwestern home market. But times change. Stations evolve. I rarely listen to that radio station now. But their numbers are better than ever. I have to admit, every time the monthly PPM drops showing them again at number one, I find myself thinking I don't get it and wondering just what it is about them now that attracts that large of an audience? Then I move on with the business of life -- until that next monthly.

Perhaps those "80s and More" formats needed more time before gaining popularity. I know that K-Earth is successful. And while I miss the old K-Earth, the station has had no choice but to evolve.

I have to admit, every time the monthly PPM drops showing them again at number one, I find myself thinking I don't get it and wondering just what it is about them now that attracts that large of an audience?

In the last 13 books, KRTH has not been #1 in any month.

I know that, Mr. Eduardo. Read my post again. I was commiserating with "ScottBurns" by referencing the former "oldies station in my midwestern home market," not K-Earth. That's the station that evolved, that I rarely listen to, and has moved to #1 in its market for at least the past year. Sorry if my poor grammar resulted in any confusion.

Perhaps those "80s and More" formats needed more time before gaining popularity. I know that K-Earth is successful. And while I miss the old K-Earth, the station has had no choice but to evolve.

It seems to me that the "Oldies" formats need about a quarter century from the target decade to be popular. The Bay Area had a 70s's station in the early 90s, and it didn't to very well - KFRC crushed it with the 60s, early 70s - but by the early 00s - KFRC was playing mostly 70s. For the first time, an 80s station is doing OK in the Bay Area now (I think) - 'iHeart [email protected].. So I'm speculating that people in their 20s aren't especially nostalgic for the music of their youth, but get more into it in their late 30s, and 40s.

Well more 90's songs and 2000's songs would have to be built into the oldies/classic hits format of K-Earth 101 though given the demos of KRTH

I know the Goo Goo Dolls and Gwen Stefani manage to have their songs on KRTH though. Note Goo Goo Dolls and Gwen Stefani are associated with Hot AC playlists around the country for the past 20 years and they have been on K-Earth too in some cases.

The classic hits format is evolving on KRTH. Eventually alot more 90's product will be added. For example back in 2013 when nearby KOLA FM added 80's. They slowly evolved and added 90's. Now they spin 2 sometimes 3 90's songs per hour at that station and they have enjoyed So much success with that variation of Classic hits. Only difference is KOLA aims a little bit younger I think than K-earth but eventually They (k-earth) will catch up and add a 90's song an hour or maybe even 2.

You can't stall a playlist for the next decade and play the same hits. You have to evolve with your listening audience as well as the advertisers that support them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KUDL

You mean when a Sacramento station attempted to make the 1990's as oldies at the time on 106.5 fm Sacramento.
But that was executed too early though given that Hot AC stations were still using 90's songs in their playlists at the time.

I dunno, I wouldn't bust my KWOD for that. Besides as an alternative station that we were playing most of the best 90s songs...unless they wanted to do old school hip hop. A fine line between throwback and throw-up!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom