• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Unusual Song Selection for KTWV The Wave

Hmm.. I reckon the Russians have hacked the Wave programming software.
I heard his real name is Winwoodolov, and his brother Muff was a KGB mole at Island records.

Hmm.. I reckon the Russians have hacked the Wave programming software.
I heard his real name is Winwoodolov, and his brother Muff was a KGB mole at Island records.

Really KGB 101.5 fm in San Diego? Maybe same guy, I remember a rhythmic dj around 1997 that went by the moniker "Muff-Daddy". I'd love to hear that one!

I remember listening to the KMET to KTWV transition and hearing "...Free, free, set them free..." and not knowing what format The Wave was going to be, as that song had a multi-format appeal. After several songs, I got it and was very intrigued. I was a big fan of the old "mellow rock" KNX-FM and recognized some of its elements in The Wave so I kept listening. Over the next 5 years or so, The Wave was my favorite station. I loved the way it blended mellow rock, contemporary jazz and new age music. I even loved its TOH ID, "KT...WV...Los Angeles...Ninety-Four-Seven...The Wave." Aah...the memories...

http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/WMXD

Wow interestingly a Detroit Station back in the 1980's even used the KTWV logo but its on 92.3 fm. I've heard stuff that the Wave was franchised to other parts of the country at one point but that faded over the years though.

We think of music radio formats and stations as temporary - coming and going within a few years. But it occurs to me that by now, The Wave has lasted about a decade longer than "The Mighty Met." And KIIS-FM has lasted probably 3 times as long as the "legendary" KHJ. Within these formats, I realize there is a lot of evolution and adjustment.

Then there's K-Earth - about 45 years, I'm guessing.

Well 93KHJ is more legendary in America Samoa than in Los Angeles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KKHJ-FM

93KHJ has been a Hot AC/CHR station in America Samoa for close to two decades. This is way longer than the original 93KHJ in Los Angeles.

Wow interestingly a Detroit Station back in the 1980's even used the KTWV logo but its on 92.3 fm. I've heard stuff that the Wave was franchised to other parts of the country at one point but that faded over the years though.

"The Wave" branding was owned by Westinghouse, which licensed it to Owen Leach and Frank Cody's "Broadcast Architecture" for syndication and consulting. Owen and Frank were the creators, along with a number of other "big names" of the original KTWV format.

"The Wave" branding was owned by Westinghouse, which licensed it to Owen Leach and Frank Cody's "Broadcast Architecture" for syndication and consulting.

TTBOMK Broadcast Architecture, once home to a number of syndicated shows including Delilah, is no more.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Chz4V6OOZ90

Interestingly KTWV's first song 30 years ago was Sting and Set them free the song at the time. Sting is a staple on AAA radio though and KTWV in its early years was Just taking over the 94.7FM frequency from KMET at the time. I seen some bumper stickers at the time showing that the Police was also on the old KMET though. Sting has to be one of a few artists who managed to have their songs on both the Old KMET 94.7 and the then infancy of KTWV at the time.

Steely Dan would be the leader in this category. KTWV played nearly all of the Aja album cuts in regular rotation plus a few from Gaucho as well (which helped me stay tuned in at the time as those are not just two of my favorite Steely Dan albums, but two of my favorite albums period).

TTBOMK Broadcast Architecture, once home to a number of syndicated shows including Delilah, is no more.

Broadcast Architecture was a research company which also developed the Wave concept, and then marketed it as a concept that included research as well. They were based in Princeton, NJ.

BA was sold to Clear Channel, which then, with Critical Mass Media, had two research companies. They eventually moved BA to LA, where they continued to do the smooth jazz format consulting and also AMT's, one-on-ones, format searches, perceptuals and other radio research products. Except for a couple of smooth jazz shows, I don't think they syndicated anything else. They were, however, on a floor of the Sherman Oaks building where Premier and all their shows are managed or produced, Delilah being one of them.

They were, however, on a floor of the Sherman Oaks building where Premier and all their shows are managed or produced, Delilah being one of them.

IIRC, Delilah (and Lia, for that matter) were first syndicated by Broadcast Programming out of Seattle. BPI was bought by Jones. Delilah left for Premiere. Lia (and whatever else that might have remained from BP) got folded into Westwood One with the rest of Jones.

I don't think BPI ever was part of Broadcast Architecture. BPI's business was automated formats, first on reel, and then with the CD jukebox UDS system before they started selling dayparts via satellite. BPI used to call on me to pitch stuff back in the day.

Steely Dan would be the leader in this category. KTWV played nearly all of the Aja album cuts in regular rotation plus a few from Gaucho as well (which helped me stay tuned in at the time as those are not just two of my favorite Steely Dan albums, but two of my favorite albums period).

http://pastdaily.com/2013/09/28/ste...plant-kmet-1974-past-daily-backstage-weekend/

And interestingly Steely Dan was also played on both KMET and KTWV at some point. But then again this was when 94.7 was transitioning from AOR to NAC at the time.

IIRC, Delilah (and Lia, for that matter) were first syndicated by Broadcast Programming out of Seattle. BPI was bought by Jones. Delilah left for Premiere. Lia (and whatever else that might have remained from BP) got folded into Westwood One with the rest of Jones.

I don't think BPI ever was part of Broadcast Architecture. BPI's business was automated formats, first on reel, and then with the CD jukebox UDS system before they started selling dayparts via satellite. BPI used to call on me to pitch stuff back in the day.

BPI was Seattle owned, then sold to Broadcast Electronics, which -- after a few years -- then sold it to Jones. Then it was sold again of course.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKX-FM

A Canadian radio station was the last known station to borrow KTWV's branding until 2011. And this Canadian Radio station even used the exact format as KTWV during their Smooth Jazz era until 2011. Currently 94.7 Canada is a country music outlet as Wikipedia is referencing too.

As David noted Broadcast architecture was the one that licensed and franchised the Wave Brand to other radio stations outside of Los Angeles.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom