• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KGYN On Day Power at Night?

cyberdad

Staff member
A couple of hours before sunrise this morning, I was surprised to find KGYN from Oklahoma overpowering Philadelphia's WPHT on 1210. Is anyone else hearing this?

My first thought was that they simply "forgot" to power down. Bit it turns out that they have a construction permit to increase day power to 50 KW....with a pattern that is somewhat favorable to my direction. (39KW Critical Hours). Maybe they were testing that.

I've heard KGYN quite a few times on the west coast and a couple of times here in the Chicago area around sunrise and sunset. But never at night blowing out WPHT. (Which did surface during KGYN fades.).

I'll try to revisit 1210 during the next few nights to see if this is still going on. Meanwhile, some of you guys may want to check this out for yourselves. Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Speaking of 1210, in the 70's when I visited northern California, very late at night I could hear WCAU Philadelphia when the Oklahoma station went off the air.

WPHT would be my dream catch here in Hawaii if it weren't for the 1210 in Honolulu. I still haven't completely given up hope, as I'll try again towards the winter.

I grew up so close to the then WCAU's stick that I could hear them on one of my record players that didn't even have a radio receiver.

A couple of hours before sunrise this morning, I was surprised to find KGYN from Oklahoma overpowering Philadelphia's WPHT on 1210. Is anyone else hearing this?

KGYN is on daytime, non-directional mode frequently at night. Here in east central KY, it often rips up WPHT all night long. This has been going on for years! The FCC obviously does not monitor these situations anymore as many stations seem to thumb there noses at the rules.

I'm hearing a station under WPHT. That's KGYN. I've heard the call letters kinda under WPHT. The station is airing Country Farm format. Other stations that airs country, has not that kind of 39KW. It's really that small on other stations. I'd heard KGYN rips WPHT's watts out of it's way. Just like KR4BD said. But goes away and then under WPHT and it's overpowering WPHT I've heard sometimes tonight. I'm gonna try to vist this dial every night this, and next week (Maybe). The reason I said maybe is because the start of school.

Last edited:
KGYN is on daytime, non-directional mode frequently at night. Here in east central KY, it often rips up WPHT all night long. This has been going on for years! The FCC obviously does not monitor these situations anymore as many stations seem to thumb there noses at the rules.

So let me see if I understand this......

We're now living in a world where you can operate illegally on a routine and frequent basis. All you want. And not only is the FCC not paying attention, but when you want to upgrade your facility, the FCC rewards you with a CP!

Last edited:
WPHT would be my dream catch here in Hawaii if it weren't for the 1210 in Honolulu. I still haven't completely given up hope, as I'll try again towards the winter.

WPHT's signal is something of an underperformer versus other east coast signals here at my location northwest of Chicago, so that might mean that WPHT could be tough duty in Hawaii. As for KZOO (the 1210 in Honolulu), their day signal was competitive with the other Honolulu stations when I spent a couple of days on the Kona Coast. Salt water path. I'm guessing, however, that they can't make the hop over the mountain to your place via groundwave.

@ Gar ....

I 'hear ya' on WCAU's local signal.
For a few years I sort of trampolined in Philly (out of NYC and then here to NEPA). WCAU's stick was just about directly across the Delaware from my pad in Northeast Philly.
I took that apartment because the neighbourhood looked quite like where I grew up -- Queens NY.

Despite the modest WCAU stick -- what is it, about 40 feet high? -- I was able to re-calibrate the dial on my Lafayette HA-600. Great DX radio for the price. I wanted the job done *my* way, even the short-wave bands.

Anyway, WCAU would come in well on 1210. And on 2420. And on 4840. And on 9680, etc. It made my task a little easier, hi.

My experience has been the same. KGYN is almost always booming in on 1210 at night. This has been the case for several years now. Usually WPHT is absent. Occasionally, it's there, but with KGYN present as well. It has crossed my mind many times that they might be operating on higher power but I was never sure, since they are supposed to be 10K watts day and night. Years ago, KGYN was a rare catch. WPHT was never a particularly strong east coast signal in my area, but it used to be there a lot more often than today.

WPHT is an underperformer here in the near north Chicago burbs. However, KYW more than makes up for it. Even back in it's WRCV days when I first heard it the signal was strong.

I was going to add earlier that KYW is the best Philly signal around here on a nightly basis.

Same here in Columbus. 1210 will show up every night, but it's usually not a blaster by means. KYW can get very loud.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom