• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Translator Applications in Connecticut

MarcB

Walk of Fame Participant
The list is out for new translator applications in Connecticut.

WCUM 1450 in Bridgeport wants 103.3
WINE 940 in Brookfield wants 102.3
WXLM 980 in Groton wants 101.9
WHDD 1020 in Sharon wants 97.5 in Kent.
1150 WMRD in Middletown wants 105.5
1340 WYBC in New Haven wants 105.5
1350 WINY in Putnam wants 97.1
1240 WWCO in Waterbury wants 106.3
1260 WSHU in Westport wants 93.5

Source: https://recnet.net/fcc/window98_shortforms.pdf (Scroll Down to page 2)

Marc's Thoughts: I don't think WHDD should be allowed a translator because they already have an FM station WHDD-FM. I also don't know about WSHU on 93.5 FM. Isn't that too close to WZMX on 93.7 on Meriden Mountain? Plus I don't think Sacred Heart should be allowed any more translators. (And that includes WYBC since they LMA that from Yale).

WRYM is now LIVE on 107.3 from Newington.

Tried listening to it in Newington and have WAAF HD sometimes overpowering their signal!

The list is out for new translator applications in Connecticut.

WCUM 1450 in Bridgeport wants 103.3
WINE 940 in Brookfield wants 102.3
WXLM 980 in Groton wants 101.9
WHDD 1020 in Sharon wants 97.5 in Kent.
1150 WMRD in Middletown wants 105.5
1340 WYBC in New Haven wants 105.5
1350 WINY in Putnam wants 97.1
1240 WWCO in Waterbury wants 106.3
1260 WSHU in Westport wants 93.5

Source: https://recnet.net/fcc/window98_shortforms.pdf (Scroll Down to page 2)

Marc's Thoughts: I don't think WHDD should be allowed a translator because they already have an FM station WHDD-FM. I also don't know about WSHU on 93.5 FM. Isn't that too close to WZMX on 93.7 on Meriden Mountain? Plus I don't think Sacred Heart should be allowed any more translators. (And that includes WYBC since they LMA that from Yale).

Is there a maximum in the number of translators a noncommercial station can have? And I assume you're referring to WYBC(AM) 1340, which carries WSHU(AM)'s news/talk format, not WYBC-FM, the urban AC. Full-power AMs carrying the programming of other AMs aren't part of the AM revitalization plan at all.

As far as adjacent-channel interference with WZMX, if the translator is going to be covering Westport, that shouldn't be a problem at all.

WRYM is now LIVE on 107.3 from Newington.

Tried listening to it in Newington and have WAAF HD sometimes overpowering their signal!

Scott, do you know where is 107.3 broadcasting from? A look at a map on FCCINFO.COM makes it look like it's coming from somewhere in downtown Hartford. They're 99 watts? Anyway if they are actually on the air I can't pick them up on the radio in the Honda Civic here in Southington.

Scott, do you know where is 107.3 broadcasting from? A look at a map on FCCINFO.COM makes it look like it's coming from somewhere in downtown Hartford. They're 99 watts? Anyway if they are actually on the air I can't pick them up on the radio in the Honda Civic here in Southington.

1 Haynes Street in Hartford is where 107.3 looks to be. No surprise you can't really hear it in Southington.. it would take good conditions and a good antenna to hear it where you are

1 Haynes Street in Hartford is where 107.3 looks to be. No surprise you can't really hear it in Southington.. it would take good conditions and a good antenna to hear it where you are

Must be all about antenna height because I have no trouble picking up BOMBA 97.1 W246CC from Bolton in Southington and Bristol on the car radio. They're supposedly 10 watts. And it's multiple car radios that i can pick it up on.

Must be all about antenna height because I have no trouble picking up BOMBA 97.1 W246CC from Bolton in Southington and Bristol on the car radio. They're supposedly 10 watts. And it's multiple car radios that i can pick it up on.

It is, as you say, all about antenna height. W220CE, which relays WMNR Monroe from Middlefield, gets all the way to downtown Wallingford on Rt. 5 with its 10 watts. Ten watts from 36 feet off the ground at 810 feet above sea level.

I'm getting a weak stereo signal of that Spanish station on 107.3 FM. I'm checking it on an old Panasonic "Walkman" on the Berlin/Newington town line, near the Eversource HQs.

Strange. 107.3 the translator for WRYM La Gigante 840 was coming in crystal clear in stereo on Overlook Avenue in the Forestville/Plainville area. (Just down the street from the Stop & Shop where I used to work). Overlook Avenue is off of Pine Street and runs along side Valero Gas Station and D&D Liquors/2 Brothers Restaurant and Pizza. Stock Radio 2010 Honda Civic.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom