• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Glen Campbell, The ‘Rhinestone Cowboy,’ Dead At 81

I have good memories of my grandparents playing his records on their big old console stereo.
I think I knew the words to Wichita Lineman when I was six.

And of his summer variety series on CBS. R.I.P.

I liked his TV show too but don't remember a thing about it except the theme song.

I've enjoyed his music for years and still get to hear it thanks to the Internet on America's Best Music.

Among several things I never knew about Campbell (but covered in a nice tribute this morning on KSAZ) was that he was offered several permanent spots on well known bands before becoming a solo musician - among them the Beach Boys. That's right! Old Rhinestone Cowboy could have been a Beach Boy. I wonder how that would have altered their sound.

He was a great solo artist and an even greater session guitarist and not too shabby an actor either.

I believe he played guitar on some Beach Boys records.

He was widely thought to have played that riff on Valerie by The Monkees
(you KNEW it wasn't Michael Nesmith, didn't you?)

@firepoint525 I had definitely not heard that one before. Kinda surprise it didn't join the "Ballad of the Green Berets" as July 4th special rotations on classic country stations.

@firepoint525 I had definitely not heard that one before. Kinda surprise it didn't join the "Ballad of the Green Berets" as July 4th special rotations on classic country stations.
That one is on Capitol records, catalog #4515, after they reverted back to their purple "retro" label. 1977 copyright, so I believe it was from the fall of that year. Written by Allen Toussaint, who also wrote "Southern Nights." A-side not from any album that I am aware of (maybe on a compilation?). B-side was "Amazing Grace" from Live at the Royal Festival Hall. Got my 45 of it on eBay earlier this year, but there may be more available.

The bass solos on "Galveston" and "Wichita Lineman" sound like the were done by the same person, but there seems to be some disagreement over who played bass for him on Wikipedia.

Carol Kaye's article says it was her.

Yet only Joe Osborn is listed on the article for the "Galveston" album. Both of them are listed on the "Wichita Lineman" album.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom