KLOS/The Sound Ratings - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KLOS/The Sound Ratings

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AM FM listener View Post
    Aw man, although I am flattered when someone like you, with 22,000+ posts, would reply to someone like me, with only 500+ post; I wish you would reply to my whole idea, not just one portion of it. The key to my idea is 2-fold: acquiring 100.3 and moving KLOS there...AND...doing something new, but practical, with 95.5, such as AC or Hot AC, perhaps with a rhythmic lean to it. What do you think of those two ideas together?
    100.3 is almost the worst of the Wilson signals, while the KLOS signal is much better at covering the whole metro.

We already have a rhythmic AC in the refreshed KTWV, and the value of trying to fragment the KIIS/KBIG/KOST "wall of women" is not obvious as that three station group owns a big piece of the 18-54 female listening.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by AM FM listener View Post
    What do you think of those two ideas together?
    It's always risky when you move a format. Cumulus just did it in New Orleans, and we don't know if it worked yet.

I think the option for any new format in the market needs to be well thought out. So your idea needs a lot more detail in order to differentiate it from existing stations.

Talk we already had 97.1 the talk station. That lasted awhile. But y would they try fm talk again here in la? And tje hot ac market ya got my fm. Ya could do a ac station via 1986 aka billy joel phil collins etc.... Doubt that would work very well. I do miss k-b-i-g "its 3 o clock in the west"

I'm so confused. KSWD was a property of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. So how is the Church's deal to allow Entercom to run the station relate to Cumulus taking over the station.

Now I'm really confused.

Quote Originally Posted by sdwulfdawg View Post
    I'm so confused. KSWD was a property of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. So how is the Church's deal to allow Entercom to run the station relate to Cumulus taking over the station.

Now I'm really confused.
    In late 2015 Bonneville International sold the station to Entercom in exchange for KOSI, KYGO, KEPN and KKFN in the Denver market.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

In late 2015 Bonneville International sold the station to Entercom in exchange for KOSI, KYGO, KEPN and KKFN in the Denver market.

sdwulfdawg: And Entercom and CBS are merging and the combined group will have one too many FM stations. Leading to speculation on this board and elsewhere about which station---the one Entercom owns in Los Angeles, or one of the five CBS owns---will be disposed of, how and to whom.

The Cumulus theory is attractive because it involves trading of assets in different markets, which has tax advantages over a cash sale. Cumulus has room for another FM in Los Angeles and has stations in markets where Entercom could still grow. IF the station to be disposed of turned out to be KSWD (and previous posts make the business case for that) and they did the deal, that would put KSWD and KLOS, which are now direct competitors, under the same roof.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hagerty View Post
    IF the station to be disposed of turned out to be KSWD (and previous posts make the business case for that) and they did the deal, that would put KSWD and KLOS, which are now direct competitors, under the same roof.
    And while I've already said that those two stations are in a format that isn't particularly attractive to advertisers, Cumulus is a company that currently owns stations competing in the same format in Dallas and several other markets. They happen to be top billing stations in those markets, but anything could happen. Or nothing could happen, as the case may be.

I could see 100.3 flipping to All Sports if it were to wind up in Cumulus' hands. Would complement KLOS from a sales standpoint.

If someone else gets 100.3, perhaps Urban AC would be a good way to go? 92.3's flip to Urban Contemporary has left a hole that has not been completely filled.

A rhythmic throwback station similar to San Francisco's Q102 is another possibility, I would think.

Finally, a softer AC akin to 98.1 the Breeze certainly should not be ruled out.

Of course, if someone other than Cumulus were to scoop up 100.3, they might simply choose to keep the current format in place.
    Last edited by MarkW; 08-13-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post

Of course, if someone other than Cumulus were to scoop up 100.3, they might simply choose to keep the current format in place.
    Or it could be a left-field player, such as Meruelo, as an improvement for the 93.5 signal for classic hip hop. Or even a company like EMF with a Christian format.

If Entercom is to sell, rather than trade, it makes sense to sell to an operator who will not likely be a direct competitor. I doubt Entercom, who loves the billing of FM sports, would open the door for someone to do this against them. It's more likely that they make one of the other FMs all sports.

Urban AC tends to cume over 90% African American, and The Wave is filling that void with a more consensus format that reaches all ethnicities. Soft AC is not a likely choice, since Entercom just this month flipped its softer AC in San Diego... the demos are a harder sell.

Or it could be a left-field player, such as Meruelo, as an improvement for the 93.5 signal for classic hip hop.
    If such a thing were to unfold - that would be pretty awesome, actually!

EMF definitely needs to be mentioned as a potential buyer -- excellent point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast