• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Philadelphia Radio PPM Ratings: July 2017

The July 2017 ratings (June 22 - July 19)

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb007

http://www.allaccess.com/nielsen/q/market/89/philadelphia-pa

The August 2017 ratings (July 20 - August 16) will be released on 9/5/2017 . Any thoughts?

Not a huge amount of major movement.

Real 106.1 debuts... kind of low. iHeart was probably hoping for a Boom type first book, instead, it's right around where Mix was hovering (if up, slightly.)

WDAS-FM off a chunk, but still above a 6.0

WHYY took a step back this book. Vacation month maybe?

Biggest drop went to... K-Love. But still a 2.1 is nothing to laugh at. Do they do ANY advertising for that signal? Kind of curious since I've never seen them promote it once... but if it can pull a 2 to a 3 share like that, that's not that bad.

Biggest drop went to... K-Love. But still a 2.1 is nothing to laugh at. Do they do ANY advertising for that signal? Kind of curious since I've never seen them promote it once... but if it can pull a 2 to a 3 share like that, that's not that bad.

I never heard of K-Love. What was it's previous name & signal?

Been awhile since I participated in this forum. Good to be back. What prompted me to come back was seeing how well WOGL has been doing. I never though I'd see WBEB get bumped several consecutive times. Not sure if this has been discussed before but is the reason perhaps WTDY shaving away just enough listeners from WBEB to make WOGL #1? If that's the case, WTDY is serving its purpose very well and probably won't go anywhere anytime soon. So much for KYW-FM.

I never heard of K-Love. What was it's previous name & signal?

K-Love is currently on 106.9 (WKVP- Camden). It used to be on WYPA, 89.5 Cherry Hill.

106.9 previously was for a little over a year WWIQ, IQ106.9. Conservative Talk, owned by Merlin Media. Merlin sold off their stations and EMF bought it flipping it to their national Christian K-Love network.

Previous to WWIQ, since about 1968, it was Christian/Preaching under Harold Camping's "Family Radio" as WKDN. That format now resides at 950AM

Been awhile since I participated in this forum. Good to be back. What prompted me to come back was seeing how well WOGL has been doing. I never though I'd see WBEB get bumped several consecutive times. Not sure if this has been discussed before but is the reason perhaps WTDY shaving away just enough listeners from WBEB to make WOGL #1? If that's the case, WTDY is serving its purpose very well and probably won't go anywhere anytime soon. So much for KYW-FM.

WBEB continues to hold its position at the top in 18.34, 18-49, 25-34, 25-49 and 25-54. WOGL is big in 35-64 and 55-64, but not as strong in the sales demos. The real issue is that WOGL has increased time spent listening.

Mr. Eduardo, - I'm curious if there's ever been any research showing if or how a CCM like K-Love impacts the mainstream AC stations, classic hits or country stations?

WBEB continues to hold its position at the top in 18.34, 18-49, 25-34, 25-49 and 25-54. WOGL is big in 35-64 and 55-64, but not as strong in the sales demos. The real issue is that WOGL has increased time spent listening.

I forgot to add that in the latest book, WBEB is 50% ahead of WOGL's share number. While WBEB is #1, WOGL is #10, but is definitely up from the #12 range it occupied before the recent changes.

WBEB is doing, on average, a bit better than it was doing mid-2016.

Mr. Eduardo, - I'm curious if there's ever been any research showing if or how a CCM like K-Love impacts the mainstream AC stations, classic hits or country stations?

If there is, it's likely proprietary market-specific research done by a local station to find out what the dynamic is between their format ad CC.

Seems like everyone's WOGL wishes coming true has certainly been good for the station. WBEB's shares and cume have been pretty steady so, who knows, maybe #2 is their new home.

What made WUSL suddenly pep up?

What's happening with WMMR? They're on an ugly streak.

Oh, and does anyone think the format at WISX is really Hot AC?

Seems like everyone's WOGL wishes coming true has certainly been good for the station. WBEB's shares and cume have been pretty steady so, who knows, maybe #2 is their new home.

What made WUSL suddenly pep up?

What's happening with WMMR? They're on an ugly streak.

Oh, and does anyone think the format at WISX is really Hot AC?

WBEB is still by far the #1 radio station in Philadelphia. WOGL would switch places with them in a second. WBEB has the best ratings for adult women, while Preston and Steve is the best morning show in Philly for the amazing male demos that the show consistently delivers. Once their show is over it is a a free fall all day long for WMMR's ratings. It seems many of their listeners flip over to 102.9 when that show is over.

WUSL is the consistent hip hop brand in Philly, I think their ratings have been low so just ppm panel turnover finally reflecting the true state of their ratings maybe?

As for WISX it is at best maybe rhythmic hot ac, but they are more hip hop oriented that those that have used that description before, yet they are not urban like the boom stations are, it is a fairly mainstream and mass appeal mix of hip hop and rnb music from the late 80s till 2010 or so, with the occasional Ed Sherran for whatever reason.

I think Beasley really has something with WTDY. In Philly a station like this is going to take time to build but I could see them creep up to the high 3's in the beauty pageant while seeing some strong adult female numbers. By forcing WBEB to stay younger it has actually helped both WBEB and WOGL.

But WBEB is so far ahead in 25-54 that there is no comparison in the sales demos.

I always find it interesting when reading these type of forums how people feel like they have to jump to 101.1's defense. I wasn't saying anything negative about them. I think everyone knows that More FM makes a ton of money and likely always will. All I was saying is that people have complained for a long time about what music WOGL should be playing and now that they're moving in that direction, they are on top in the rankings. That would leave WBEB in the #2 spot but...the #2 spot isn't bad!

I always find it interesting when reading these type of forums how people feel like they have to jump to 101.1's defense. I wasn't saying anything negative about them. I think everyone knows that More FM makes a ton of money and likely always will. All I was saying is that people have complained for a long time about what music WOGL should be playing and now that they're moving in that direction, they are on top in the rankings. That would leave WBEB in the #2 spot but...the #2 spot isn't bad!

My "complaint" was an observation about how this situation points out again the uselessness of looking at the free Nielsen 12+ numbers vs. the ones stations use to program and advertisers use to buy which are not based on those broad numbers.

WBEB targets 25-54, and has about 50% more listeners in that demo than WOGL. WOGL is trying to improve its 25-54 numbers, but is still barely in the top 10 (although there has been a definite improvement from their even lower number prior to recent changes).

Last edited:
Wait. I think I get it now. Others seem to want to pit WBEB and WOGL against each other. Cool, cool. LOL.

And anyone who doesn't already know that advertisers don't buy based on 6+ numbers is a numbnuts. Besides, it's been stated here about a kajillion times already.

WOGL is trying to improve its 25-54 numbers, but is still barely in the top 10
This is interesting. Is there another demo where they perform better than they are with 25-54? Because that would really bend my mind a little!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom