• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WABC: Larry Kudlow Show replaced by Fruits & Veggies

I tuned in for my weekly fix of intelligent radio at 10:00 am, the Larry Kudlow Show, as I religiously do, only to be disappointed to hear it replaced by another UNINTELLIGENT "fruits and veggies" infomercial! Can't get enough fruits and veggies commercials! (Sarcasm)

The WABC website indicates a new time for Kudlow's show, starting at 11 am.

The fruits and veggies commercials have the most idiotic and unbelievable (literally unbelievable) "testimonials" I've ever had the displeasure of hearing, and they are incessant and annoying, with preposterous, unscientifically unverified claims of every affliction cured from multiple sclerosis to back aches to eczema. An insult to one's intelligence. Why the FDA doesn't halt the commercials is beyond me.

BTW, Dr Ronald Hoffman wrote an excellent article refuting the absurd medical claims made by the fruits and veggies, pointing out that dehydrated fruits and vegetables in a pill are essentially worthless

Last edited:
Why the FDA doesn't halt the commercials is beyond me.

Me too. I think it's because "holistic" stuff is outside the FDA's control but it should be regulated somehow.

I just tuned in again to hear the start of the 2nd hour of Kudlow's show. So from now on I'll be hearing two hours a week of WABC, not three. I used to listen to WABC a lot.

10am Saturday seems like a prime hour (by weekend standards) when not many stations would be willing to sell an infomercial slot. 6am on Sunday, sure, I get it.

I wonder what kind of a rate the veggie folks are paying.

I imagine they're paying more than what the station was getting during that time from standard spots. Which is why they made this decision.

Its not a programming decision.

Exactly. But at what point is there not enough real content to support the infomercials? Apparently not yet.

I wonder if the listening public would be dumb enough to tune into "all infomercials all the time."

A favorite line of mine in recent times is: 'If you've been injured installing this refrigerator magnet, call the law firm shown on it. We can help'.

My grump about infomercials is from a DXer's standpoint. There was one afternoon about 1:30 ... a weekday ... when I was on a paint job and listening here in PA to a station on 1530. I had the suspicion that the reception was of the 'Mid-Winter Anomaly' sort. That's rare daytime skip. There are no stations around here on 1530 anymore.

For :45 minutes I had to bite my nails hoping for a station ID, sitting through an informercial for Vitamin E.
The station turned out to be from near Cape Cod -- WVBF. But I had to call them later in the day to verify the station as being them. I got lucky; someone answered WVBF's phone. A live human being was present.
The program, I admit, was well done. Lots of testimonials from people, authorative-sounding people. Almost made me want to stop at some Rite-Aid on the way home and pick up a barrel of Vitamin E pills.

But these G**-D**ned stations with the infomercials never identify themselves!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom