• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Skyview Networks, ABC and CBS News Radio

nowradioguy

Star Participant
Just curious.

As of 01 Jan 2018, CBS News Radio will be distributed by Skyview Networks, the same folks who distribute ABC News Radio.

Does this imply that the CBS O&O's will no longer be taking news feeds from the no-name WW1 service "powered by CNN"?

I, for one, hope so, since I liked when WBZ used to get news feeds from both CBS and ABC, particularly the latter. And they did this as a CBS O&O, so don't tell me it's not possible.

By January 1st there will be no CBS Radio. It will be Entercom.

And there will be a CBS News Radio, since that entity, I believe, is under the auspices of CBS News, not CBS Radio.

Even so, who knows at this point whether Entercom will even keep any of those 50,000-watt clear-channel, all-news blowtorches?

But assuming, say, WBZ remains with Entercom, and still picks up news feeds from CBS News Radio via Skyview Networks. I mean, they can still decide to carry WW1's no-name feeds, but I'd prefer they try to get back with ABC News Radio. Wishful thinking, sure, but there's really not that much exciting happening in radio these days.

And there will be a CBS News Radio, since that entity, I believe, is under the auspices of CBS News, not CBS Radio.

Even so, who knows at this point whether Entercom will even keep any of those 50,000-watt clear-channel, all-news blowtorches?

But assuming, say, WBZ remains with Entercom, and still picks up news feeds from CBS News Radio via Skyview Networks. I mean, they can still decide to carry WW1's no-name feeds, but I'd prefer they try to get back with ABC News Radio. Wishful thinking, sure, but there's really not that much exciting happening in radio these days.

You mean westwood talk shows. No

WBZ won't air anything from CBS News Radio by then mainly because WBZ will become the Iheart owned station in Boston.
WBZ will air stuff from Total Traffic under the Iheart produced NBC Radio News label.

IHeart runs Fox News on their newstalkers, as they do now.They will have both 680 and 1030 so maybe one will run CBS news if nobody else wants it.
RKO was a CBS radio affiliate for awhile and maybe briefly owned by CBS during the whole process where CBS and Atlantic Ventures went through some kind of anti trust..I think same process led to them dropping Jerry Williams (was not signed to CBS).Entercom got RKO eventually.

Wikipedia entry on WRKO:"After several mergers, Atlantic Ventures (renamed American Radio Systems) decided that owning broadcast and cellular telephone towers was its preferred business and merged with CBS, Inc. WRKO was spun off to Entercom since the merger brought CBS over FCC ownership limits."

They will probably put Fox News on the station where the Limbaugh-Hannity network lands.

But it will be interesting who will get skyview's contract in 2018 now that WBZ-AM is no longer with CBS Radio/Entercom.

Also Iheart will use the NBC News Radio affiliation for their News/talk stations around the nation. For a lot of you if you want CBS News Radio or ABC News Radio on Skyview. ABC News Radio will only be seen on Slacker radio apps and CBS News Radio will be seen on Tunein and Radio.com apps if you can't find an OTA station in your area with these affiliates.

But it will be interesting who will get skyview's contract in 2018 now that WBZ-AM is no longer with CBS Radio/Entercom.

Also Iheart will use the NBC News Radio affiliation for their News/talk stations around the nation. For a lot of you if you want CBS News Radio or ABC News Radio on Skyview. ABC News Radio will only be seen on Slacker radio apps and CBS News Radio will be seen on Tunein and Radio.com apps if you can't find an OTA station in your area with these affiliates.

As of today, 10 Nov 2017:

WBZ-AM (CBS Radio) carries news feeds from CBS News Radio, Westwood One ("powered by CNN"), and the AP.

WRKO (Entercom) carries ABC News Radio, as well as NBC News Radio, the latter during their news feeds from iHeart's TTN. (BTW - in TTN's news feeds heard on WRKO, an ABC News Radio clip is often heard, though less frequently than something from NBC News Radio.)

WKOX (iHeart) carries Premiere's Talk lineup, along with Mark Levin (delayed basis) from WW1. Their local news, such as it is, comes from TTN, their national news feed is from Fox News Radio.

WXKS (iHeart), presently carrying Bloomberg, is slated to cease that arrangement early in 2018. Speculation on these boards is that they will carry Fox sports Radio, but there's no public confirmation of this.

(Shortly after iHeart takes ownership of both WBZ and WRKO, WKOX will be put into a trust until it is sold. So, it will not be a player in this board game.)

What I'm getting at - and again, spoiler alert - it's just conjecture on the part of a non-insider, so, please, hold your fire, is this:

IF iHeart chooses to run WXKS as syndicated talk and WRKO as local talk, then Fox News could be heard over either station, but I'M GUESSING Fox News moves to WXKS, and NBC News Radio would be heard on WRKO.

That leaves WBZ. Again, I'M GUESSING that they either re-sign with CBS News Radio, or re-unite with ABC News Radio, a service they carried until ABC News Radio jumped off of WW1 and onto SkyView.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom