• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

21st Century Fox is in talks with Ion Media Networks for Fox Affiliation deal

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ne...ry-talks-ion-operate-fox-affils-report/167652

This deal affects Fox Affiliates owned by Sinclair/Tribune. Stations like KTXL Sacramento, KCPQ Seattle, WBFF Baltimore and KSWB could lose their Fox Affiliations if Fox signs the affiliation deal with ION

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-with-ion-media-to-operate-local-tv-stations

21st Century Fox Inc. is in talks to operate local television stations across the U.S. with Ion Media Networks Inc., potentially paving the way for Fox to dump Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc. as an affiliate partner, a person familiar with the situation said.

Closely held Ion would contribute its more than 60 independent stations to the joint venture, while Fox would throw in its 28 local stations, which include big markets such as New York and Los Angeles. As part of the deal, Fox would consider switching its affiliation to Ion from Sinclair for 26 stations that are up for renewal this year, said the person, who asked not to be identified.

Fox may also seek to switch 14 stations owned by Tribune Media Co., which is being acquired by Sinclair, upon the change of control, the person said. By doing the deal as a joint venture, Fox could also retain some control over TV stations without having to include the slow-growing local-broadcast business in its financial statements.
While such a move would hurt Sinclair, RBC Capital Markets analysts Leo Kulp and Steven Cahall said there’s also reason to believe it may be a “negotiating ploy” by Fox. Sinclair, based in Hunt Valley, Maryland, didn’t respond to a request for comment outside of normal business hours, while Chicago-based Tribune declined to comment.

“Based on what we know, we believe it’s too early to become overly negative on this,” the analysts wrote in a note to clients. “Although we will watch the situation, as it could be a meaningful negative.”

Sinclair shares were down 3.3 percent to $33.75 in early New York trading, while Fox slid 0.9 percent.

Many TV stations around the country are owned independently of major broadcast networks like Fox, yet carry their programming under affiliation agreements. Ion, which emerged from bankruptcy in late 2009, doesn’t currently have affiliation deals, instead relying on syndicated reruns and some original shows to fill its programming grid.

Fox, controlled by billionaire Rupert Murdoch, has been concerned about Sinclair’s $3.9 billion acquisition of Tribune, which is awaiting regulatory approval. The combined company, with 233 stations, will have even greater negotiating leverage on how to split fees paid by cable providers. Sinclair has also been creating more of its own programming, including conservative commentary, that competes with Fox’s own shows.

Unlike Sinclair, Ion doesn’t have significant local news operations. That could be a challenge if Fox chooses to switch to Ion stations, since many viewers still tune in nightly expecting to get their news and weather reports.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/fox-considering-teaming-up-with-ion-in-attempt-to-thwart-sinclair/192718

The list of Tribune/Sinclair stations that could lose their Fox affiliation is listed here.

But it is the stations in medium and smaller markets that Fox would consider moving its affiliation. Bloomberg reports this may be a negotiating tactic with Sinclair which owns 30 stations that are Fox affiliates including Sinclair flagship WBFF in Baltimore, KOKH in Oklahoma City, WPGH in Pittsburgh, WZTV in Nashville, and WLUK in Green Bay. 26 Sinclair-owned Fox affiliates are up for renewal this year.

Of those markets mentioned, ION owns stations in Oklahoma City (KOPX), Pittsburgh (WINP) and Nashville (WNPX) but none has a local news presence. And building one from scratch would be costly and time-consuming.

Bloomberg also reports that Fox may look to remove its affiliation from 14 stations owned by Tribune, which Sinclair is in the process of acquiring. Tribune-owned Fox affiliates include KDVR in Denver, WITI in Milwaukee, KCPQ in Seattle, KSTU in Salt Lake City and KTXL in Sacramento.

FOX4KC is what we need know about because all other stations have a Duoply but KCTV would then get a Chief Weather person and a Sports Director because don't have one at the moment. KUKC but would get it's HD on all providers. Sprectrumsportskc but could finally get it on CCI,Mediacom,Google Fiber and so on,could do a local News channel. KPXE would replace Shopping channels with 4.2,4.3 but then Charge,TBD still would need a home because doesn't have a home yet and would get Life,Qubo,IONSHOP on Cable Systems.

This makes no sense. I thought Fox and Sinclair had a great partnership. I hate to see where this is going.

What's next? The CW and H&I takes all the NFL rights away from CBS, Fox, and NBC? (I know, it's a joke)

Last edited:
FOX4KC is what we need know about because all other stations have a Duoply but KCTV would then get a Chief Weather person and a Sports Director because don't have one at the moment. KUKC but would get it's HD on all providers. Sprectrumsportskc but could finally get it on CCI,Mediacom,Google Fiber and so on,could do a local News channel. KPXE would replace Shopping channels with 4.2,4.3 but then Charge,TBD still would need a home because doesn't have a home yet and would get Life,Qubo,IONSHOP on Cable Systems.

If the reported situation plays out, in Kansas City, Fox network programming would appear on KPXE/50. I would expect it to be on 50.1, but who knows how this all plays out?

WDAF/4 would presumably keep all of its news personnel, but what it airs from 7 PM-9 PM would be the question. Possibly more news or other programming from Sinclair.

What about this "New Sinclair Network" that's been rumored since the Tribune/Sinclair/Bonten deal came into play. If KTXL Sacramento (one of the Sinclair/Tribune station) loses the Fox Affiliation affiliation they were supposedly going to get Mark Hyman and Boris Epshteyn to get a talk show on the Primetime hours and supposedly from WGN America?

This ploy Fox is doing is only opening the deal for Sinclair start their talk show lineup at Primetime.

Now I'm not confirming this I seen articles citing Sinclair's PR campaign though.

Well also KSPX Sacramento ion affiliate could be the New Fox Affiliate in Sacramento if the Fox/Ion deal is True.

What about this "New Sinclair Network" that's been rumored since the Tribune/Sinclair/Bonten deal came into play. If KTXL Sacramento (one of the Sinclair/Tribune station) loses the Fox Affiliation affiliation they were supposedly going to get Mark Hyman and Boris Epshteyn to get a talk show on the Primetime hours and supposedly from WGN America?

Then they'll discover the difference between having highly rated entertainment shows and having narrowly focused conservative talk shows. Based on the cable ratings, they could lose more than half of their viewers by doing this. The biggest loss will be the NFL.

If the reported situation plays out, in Kansas City, Fox network programming would appear on KPXE/50. I would expect it to be on 50.1, but who knows how this all plays out?

WDAF/4 would presumably keep all of its news personnel, but what it airs from 7 PM-9 PM would be the question. Possibly more news or other programming from Sinclair.

Could there be a possibility that WDAF might try to get the NBC affiliation back?

Could there be a possibility that WDAF might try to get the NBC affiliation back?

Anything's possible, but my money's against it. With only two hours of Fox programming per day, WDAF gets to sell a lot more ad time than they would as an NBC affiliate. If the Fox pulls their affiliation, I'd bet on WDAF doing more news.

I'm probably seeing deja vu, but I think I'm might be seeing a repeat of the 1994-1995 affiliation switch, only this time, affecting newscasts, different than the previous one.

If it is, then in most markets, like Tampa (WTVT), its going to be a TV equivalent of a "suicide", a station losing a newscast despite high ratings, because Ion doesn't do news.

Last edited:
Here's my suggestion,

if the deal falls through,

Sacramento: Fox might move from KTXL 40 to KSPX 29.
Seattle: Fox might move from KCPQ 13 to KWPX 33.
Baltimore: Since Baltimore doesn't have an Ion television station, 21st Century Fox might have to buy WBFF in order to keep the network available in Baltimore, and Sinclair can fully acquire WNUV from Cunningham Broadcasting.
San Diego: Since San Diego doesn't have an Ion television station, Fox might move to KFMB's second digital subchannel, and KSWB might air programming from The CW for the first time since 2008.
Oklahoma City: Fox might move from KOKH 25 to KOPX 62.
Pittsburgh: Fox might move from WPGH 53 to WINP 16.
Nashville: Fox might move from WZTV 17 to WNPX 28.
Green Bay: Since Ion is carried on WBAY-DT3, Fox programming might move over to WBAY-DT2, where StormCenter 2 24/7 currently airs, and the Fox subchannel would carry a newscast produced by WBAY at 9pm.
Denver: Fox might move from KDVR 31 to KPXC 59.
Milwaukee: Fox might move from WITI 6 to WPXE 55, and WITI might return to airing CBS programming for the first time since 1994, plus WDJT could become an Independent station.
Salt Lake City: Fox might move from KSTU 13 to KUPX 16.
Kansas City: Fox might move from WDAF 4 to KPXE 50, and WDAF might return to airing NBC programming for the first time since 1994, plus KSHB could become an Independent station.

For the Los Angeles and San Francisco owned-and-operated stations, they're not going anywhere.
In San Francisco, KTVU and KICU might make a triopoly with KKPX, and in Los Angeles, KTTV and KCOP might make a triopoly with KPXN.

Then where does 7pm to 9pm Fox programming,World Series,All-Star Game,Syndicated programming that's on FOX4KC be shown on? KMCI is Independent and KC is a Major Market and not like Springfield where KSPR had to become LD channel and ABC a Sub channel of KY3. KC doesn't have a 24/7 Local News Channel yet. Know if we had combining Stations would help out with Anchor/Weather/Sports openings and could create a how new News Department.

...and not like Springfield where KSPR had to become LD channel and ABC a Sub channel of KY3...
Yeah, that's what might happen in Baltimore, despite being a big market, because all stations already have Big 4 affiliations and Sinclair owns the rest. If Fox wants to be on a main channel, which they need to be, because it's in a big market, they may have to do something similar to what happened in 1995 with the 3 VHF stations, and switch affiliations with them.

I thought Fox's O&Os were definitely going to be fine, and now Fox wants to betray them?

Last edited:
So where to I place my bet? Is Vegas doing anything yet? Forget ad revenue some one could make a killing off the odds of the Sinclair/Tribune and Fox/Ion and Fox/Sinclair predictions. With so many arm chair network operators on this board, there Should be a chart to keep them straight and a place to bet on the prediction.

So where to I place my bet? Is Vegas doing anything yet? Forget ad revenue some one could make a killing off the odds of the Sinclair/Tribune and Fox/Ion and Fox/Sinclair predictions. With so many arm chair network operators on this board, there Should be a chart to keep them straight and a place to bet on the prediction.

Well TVSpy, Broadcasting& Cable, FTV Live, FierceCable and Tvnewscheck made these speculations first were just commenting ������ . Well according to Fox the Local TV station business is in a slow growth if you seen one of the articles but WOW expect Fox to make MyNetwork TV to cease and have Ion programming take over if the deal is true. See MyNetworkTV essentially does the same programming format as Ion such as syndicated shows and reruns. They should both MyNetwork and Ion together if deal is true.

Expect and If True!!! Those are Gambling words. Replace the names with NFL teams and you have a Fantasy league. No deals have been closed or executed. I just see alot of people expressing what may happen and how the three media deals might affect each other. It's tough to track which Theory of thought has the most support.

Who gets to broadcast to the biggest national population? What will Fox's participation be? Will Fox and Ion join forces. Who will sit on the broadcast version of the Iron Throne (made up of old analog and digital antennas and towers). When all the dust settles will it be settled?

Last edited:
NBC has 2 hours of programming on KSHB and Scripps wouldn't want to get rid of shows like the Now KC,Kansas City Live and so on but if did come Independent more local Shows,Sports and Neewcast.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom