• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KBAI Dumps Progressive Talk for Classic Hits

discjockeyj1964

New Participating Member
KBAI 930 AM and low power FM 98.9 (K255DC) in Bellingham, has jettisoned its Progressive Talk format. Management stated it has been difficult to fill a full schedule of liberal talkers. Now with a Classic Hits format, it will be a flanker for KAFE 104.1. The new format began in the past few days, and they are now going by K-BAY 98.9, relive your favorites every day! Website is: http://989kbay.com/.

Saw this too...bet our resident "Hippie of Bellingham", (Bongwater) isn't happy with this!

KBAI 930 AM and low power FM 98.9 (K255DC) in Bellingham...
The FM is actually a translator, not a low power FM - thought I'd get that in before the geek squad comes in and rips you a new one. :rolleyes:

As for the flip - it's a sad statement for the format that it's been replaced in a liberal-leaning burg by 200 burned out songs from the Nixon and Reagan years.

Heard it playing last night on my Sony portable while working on my bicycle, fairly decent Classic Hits fare, slick liners. "K-Bay 9-30"...

I was sort of surprised to hear the flip, as Bellingham is probably more liberal than Seattle is. One would think that if prog talk could survive, it would survive there even if the format were dead everywhere else in the country.

Heard it playing last night on my Sony portable while working on my bicycle, fairly decent Classic Hits fare, slick liners. "K-Bay 9-30"...

I was sort of surprised to hear the flip, as Bellingham is probably more liberal than Seattle is. One would think that if prog talk could survive, it would survive there even if the format were dead everywhere else in the country.

I imagine that a lot of their progressives tune in to NPR on KQOW 90.1.

Progressives don't have the need to be constantly reminded of their political persuasions.

Music belongs on FM anyway, and not Progressive Talk radio. I'd like to see KITZ here in Ktisap County go the same route. Add a much needed FM translator for Bremerton \ Silverdale \ Port Orchard, and flip to a music format, but still have news at the top of the hour possibly. (I don't see KBRO flipping formats).

I doubt KITZ will flip.

If Progressive Radio couldn't cut it in Bellingham, there are probably few markets where it can, as a complete format. As part of a broader general news/talk package, I can see Thom Hartmann and Stephanie Miller continuing to be cleared in several markets, but full on Progressive talkers are basically headed to extinction.

Progressives don't have the need to be constantly reminded of their political persuasions.

I have found it on the contrary. The more political the person (of either side -- progressives included), the more they constantly need their dose of confirmation bias, as my FB news feed indicates. My FB friends are 90% progressive, and it's all trading of news stories, blog posts, etc. etc.

They aren't as much into radio as conservatives are. They've moved on to the internet -- where all the brakes are removed completely, instead of just most of them. :)

I doubt KITZ will flip.

If Progressive Radio couldn't cut it in Bellingham, there are probably few markets where it can, as a complete format. As part of a broader general news/talk package, I can see Thom Hartmann and Stephanie Miller continuing to be cleared in several markets, but full on Progressive talkers are basically headed to extinction.

We have a station in suburban Tacoma that has a mix of talk from different perspectives -- 1180 KLAY Lakewood. I think they have Thom Hartmann as well as Jim Bohannon, and other shows that go all over the map -- which I think is quite cool.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom