• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New format on KNLY 91.1

It's no longer simulcasting LA NUEVA, now they have a new format named LA JEFA playing Regional Mexican music and reaching houston more than normal. Maybe it's tropo tunneling.

It's no longer simulcasting LA NUEVA, now they have a new format named LA JEFA playing Regional Mexican music and reaching houston more than normal. Maybe it's tropo tunneling.
Still picking this station someone good here in the Northside. Once I go to the Heights I lose signal, heard the call signs saying LA JEFA 91.1 FM HOUSTON.

Presentation sounds different, not the same guy who presents the Translators here in Houston. Did the Guevarras sale it? Are they leasing it to someone? What benefit do they have with this format on a non commercials frequency? Or is this just temporary?

They mention AQUI SUENA LA MÚSICA DE LA JEFA.

Claiming to cover NORTH HOUSTON but they seem to be covering more than what the map shows. Was driving on I10 and 610 close to the Budweiser building and I picked it up somewhat listenable. I am on 249 and Aldine and am picking it up very choppy.
NO SURPRISE THERE RIGHT?

Claiming also to have 16,000 watts of power RADIO LOCATOR says 15,000 so some hint here of over power.

They're selling it to NORTHWOOD HISPANIC COMMUNICATION CENTER.

$200,000 US Dollars is a lot for a non-commercial station that mostly covers pine trees.

Yeah and the link Anyhuman sent says it will be an English Christian station. Doesn't seem that way, it's not Christian and it's not in English

Purchased permit in 2012 for $5,000 (plus legal fees) and sold it for $200,000 in 2017. I'm assuming that even after construction costs, Centro Something Something Christ came out ahead.

Nice profit.

Purchased permit in 2012 for $5,000 (plus legal fees) and sold it for $200,000 in 2017. I'm assuming that even after construction costs, Centro Something Something Christ came out ahead.

Nice profit.

It depends. If they put in new equipment, built a tower, had to construct studios and a transmitter site, pay for permits, legal fees and manpower while the station was being built, the profit is not likely to be very much. And they may have wanted to recover some of their operating expenses over the last half-decade... in which case, the project resulted in what could be a significant net loss for the previous owners.

I suspect it will be zero commercials. At 91.1, they are on the non-commercial educational (or NCE) part of the FM dial (88.1 - 91.9). Don't mistake Underwriting for commercials (ever watched PBS TV? Underwriting is what they do). Running commercials is illegal for a station in the NCE part of the radio dial.

I suspect it will be zero commercials. At 91.1, they are on the non-commercial educational (or NCE) part of the FM dial (88.1 - 91.9). Don't mistake Underwriting for commercials (ever watched PBS TV? Underwriting is what they do). Running commercials is illegal for a station in the NCE part of the radio dial.

How to tell a difference? I know Radio Aleluya has many announcements of restaurants and stuff like that. So as long as they don't mention the word PRICES it's legal? So Budweiser being the official beer of such and such event is that a commercial?

How to tell a difference? I know Radio Aleluya has many announcements of restaurants and stuff like that. So as long as they don't mention the word PRICES it's legal? So Budweiser being the official beer of such and such event is that a commercial?

There cannot be a "call to action", such as "stop by Budweiser's booth and try their new low calorie beer" or something like that. If you really want a good example of what's legal, listen to KUHF.

How can you tell? That is the argument I have with non-commercial broadcasters and hit a brick wall. The average person listening to the radio doesn't know the difference.

For the official stuff, here are a couple of links:
https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/nature-of-educational-broadcasting
http://www.npr.org/sections/ombudsman/2015/03/11/392355447/nprs-underwriting-guidelines-part-one

This is not bad: https://keeppublicradiopublic.com/2010/07/27/ad-vs-underwriting/

And, finally, an article I wrote:

I add these words: Underwriting rules are vague to allow greater flexibility for stations. That flexibility hinders stations instead of helping. When stations get fined for following the rules (see Last in this article) the opposite happens. Years ago Montana had no speed limit. People got stopped and got huge tickets for things like 'unsafe driving' instead. I suspect folks in Montana welcomed a speed limit because what was legal became illegal for some other reason that was subjective, or seemingly so (a difference in opinion). The thing to remember: The FCC writes the rules and interprets them. It's hard to prove the entity that wrote the rule interpreted the rule incorrectly.

EXPLAINING UNDERWRITING WITHOUT LEGALESE

An Underwriting Credit (aka spot) should, per the advice, not rule, of the FCC, be 20 seconds or less. The FCC says the longer the spot, the better the chance you will violate rules.

A credit can include:
The name of the donor
the address, phone number, website (I have not seen an instance when a fine was issued for all three being used but see the bottom example).
a slogan, as long as it does not break the existing rules (Walmart could not use the slogan "Low Prices Every Day")
Products or services offered (be careful here and limit it to two or three...see bottom)
Brand Names (again, see "Last" below)
You cannot compare the Underwriter with others, make the Underwriter appear to be the best choice or better choice or anything else that might persuade the listener to choose that business over a competitor. You have to use your brain on wording.

Long ago a lawyer's spot said "practicing law for over 30 years from the same location". The FCC said the announcement gave the attorney an 'unfair advantage' over attorneys that had been practicing law for fewer years although it is legal to say how long the business has been operating. You'd be okay, for example, saying "First State Bank, serving the financial needs of our area since 1904". Why? An attorney is chosen based on experience, a bank is not.

Likewise, a tow truck company saying they offer 24 hour service might be fine but it would generate a fine if you add they don't charge extra for night and weekend calls. That gives them an advantage over competitors. You must ask yourself why such a statement is included. If the reason is to persuade, then you cannot say it. To say 24/7 service is informative. That you don't charge extra for nights and weekends is simply to have an unfair advantage over competitors, to persuade customers to use them for this reason.

Banks, for example, cannot say what interest they pay on CDs and such. For example they could not offer "free checking" because not every bank does. An auto repair shop cannot offer to check your tire inflation free in a credit. An insurance agency could not offer free calendars, just stop in and take one. These are designed to persuade customers to choose their business.

The official terms: No qualitative or comparative statements.

Calls of action are illegal. Here's what this means. You can give contact information but you cannot direct listeners to phone, stop by or go to a website. For example you cannot say "give them a call" or "go to the website" or "Drop by 1234 Main". You can say "the phone number is 555-1212" or "Online at www dot anybusiness dot com" You can say "offices at 1234 Main Street".

Likewise, it is illegal to say "As a thank you to KXXX listeners, you can get a 10% discount today only". This equates to pricing that is illegal and such pricing is a call to action because it is for a limited time.

You cannot say, for example, "EZ Oil and Lube, home of the 10 minute $14.95 oil change". But think harder: it is a violation to say "home of the 10 minute oil change". That one, while not price and item is competitive indicating other competitors take more than 10 minutes.

Tossing in a monkey wrench, what if the business name indicates competitive advantage: "Joe's Discount Appliances" or a home furnishings shop really named "Real Deals on Home Decor". These would be okay because if that is the legal name of the business as in their DBA, the FCC says you must identify the donor business. So, that trumps all.

You cannot be repetitive. For example, you cannot say "The phone number is 555-1212, again, that's 555-1212"

LAST
: "Menu Listing". If you go to the FCC website to read the Underwriting Rules it never mentions "menu listing". WOBO got fined. Here are the credits. You will see they clearly abide by FCC Underwriting Rules, at least those that are written. However the 'unwritten' menu listing is what got them a $3,000 fine:

Birch Sheet Metal and Building Supplies in Walton, Kentucky, “featuring custom metal roofing, siding, hardware, trim, insulation, trusses, and perma felt paper.”
Fedders Feed and Seed and Pet Supplies in Covington, KY., “featuring bulk and bag mulch, peat moss, potting soil, bulk top soil and decorative borders.”

You will notice there are 7 items listed for Birch and 5 items listen for Fedders. The FCC's response is quoted:
“We find that these excessively detailed menus of multiple product/service offerings by underwriters exceed the type of information that would enable listeners to identify supporters of noncommercial programming and are similar to promotional broadcasts that have resulted in monetary forfeitures.”

One of the larger Public broadcasters, Minnesota Public Radio details what they offer:
You can use up to 40 words that may include:
1) general location of your business
2) up to three trade names, product names, or service listings
3) factual, value-neutral descriptions of products or service
4) length of time your company has been operating
5) established slogans that identify but do not promote
6) web address

How about an example:
"Support provided by Joe's Discount Appliances at 120 Main Street in Greenville, carrying Maytag, G.E. and Amana home appliances from refrigerators to blenders. "Hometown Proud", Joe's Discount Appliances, serving Greenville since 1934, online at Joe's Discount Appliances dot com."

Notes: I intentionally used "Joe's Discount Appliances" because it is the legal name of the business, the DBA, if you will. The word Discount would be a violation of FCC Rules otherwise. "Hometown Proud" might be a stab at a chain appliance store in town but Joe's has used this "Hometown Proud" in all their marketing for many, many years, therefore it is an established slogan that does not promote. While the Underwriter was mentioned more than once, it was a natural use of the name versus intentionally to be competitive (ie: to identify not promote).

Last edited:
They're saying they have a big surprise for everyone Monday at 8 am. Hmmm what could be the surprise? To bad this station doesn't cover much of houston I would love to have a non commercial regional Mexican station here in houston. Something different on FM doesn't hurt, but that's not going to happen soon.

They're saying they have a big surprise for everyone Monday at 8 am. Hmmm what could be the surprise? To bad this station doesn't cover much of houston I would love to have a non commercial regional Mexican station here in houston. Something different on FM doesn't hurt, but that's not going to happen soon.

Yessir Senor Tehano. Probably not gonna happen. Chance of it happening are probably about the same as a real station giving us a decent station like the unnameable 87 pirate down there in your hood. Of course is he a pirate, given that his network is now heard loud and clear up here in Magnolia on a legitimate station? The legal ID also gives the call letters of a TV station in Houston that doesnt reach Magnolia. Is it still just an audio channel, or did they finally put music videos on?

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom