• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

98.3 kuil??

That's 98.3 KULM Columbus. Another station brought to you by your favorite gringo. No "tornatos" please.

I have nothing against Mr Henderson, don't know the guy. I have never heard any of his stations. I didn't even know a tornado destroyed his tower last year. I went to Facebook trying to find the exact words that they said about K287bq and the first thing I saw was someone posted KARMA IS A B. And showed pictures of the destroyed tower, yes I was wrong for saying what I said.

Mr Henderson if you saw my comment I apologize.

Doesn't change the fact that the main complaint isn't the signal reach for some of these people. It's the format that they're complaining about. I personally don't listen to RADIO DABANG I have no idea of what they're saying or singing about. To me RADIO DABANG, HUM FM, and 98.7 sound the same. Just like to many MEGA 101, 106.5 más variedad, 102.9 sound the same to yall.

I just think they should be able to listen to their favorite music on FM. Kinda sucks to not have a TEJANO STATION on FM, just like not having a OLDIES STATION on FM. Same goes to the south Asian community that has worked so hard to have something on FM.

I just think they should be able to listen to their favorite music on FM. Kinda sucks to not have a TEJANO STATION on FM, just like not having a OLDIES STATION on FM. Same goes to the south Asian community that has worked so hard to have something on FM.

Of course, what you have presented is a good example of the market working to satisfy demand.

There are obviously both listeners and advertisers for the various Asian and South Asian formats, so they can succeed on limited facilities. There are very few listeners and no advertisers for Tejano and the few listeners that are left are widely dispersed in the metro, requiring a good signal and big investment: not viable. There are plenty of listeners for oldies, spread across the metro and also requiring a good signal... but essentially no advertisers with any interest in the demos it would reach: not viable.

Of course, some formats may be sustainable on a listener supported station but that means reaching enough people willing to donate enough money to keep a station going.

Doesn't change the fact that the main complaint isn't the signal reach for some of these people. It's the format that they're complaining about.

See, you're actively looking for ways to be offended. The complaints are reasonable. No one on here is a racist (or at least said anything to insinuate that they are racists).

You constantly say that if the format was oldies, that we would have a different tune. But that's just absolutely false! This entire board rallied against one certain individual who ran an illegal Classic Hits format. It got so heated that we can no longer say names or even mention the pirate.

We don't care who runs a station or what they broadcast. What we care about is following rules.

Smokey, this isn't 'Nam. This is broadcasting. There are rules.

Now picking up KMJR La Caliente

I was getting a bit of DX from South Texas last night, driving along the north belt. Was getting some Tejano on 99.9, extremely strong, over KSHN... think it was KSAB. KMKS was coming in strong as well.

just like not having a OLDIES STATION on FM.

Just stream WROR. They have a really good phone app. It is surprising me how little I use the tuner on my car radio these days. Oh and at least half of WROR commercials are for national services and brands.

I was picking up KQQK most of the time out in Lavaca county KIXS must be off or low power?

I was picking up KQQK most of the time out in Lavaca county KIXS must be off or low power?
Probably the atmospheric conditions. It is summer after all in the gulf coast.

KIXS has been known to obliriate KQQK inside Houston under the right conditions. On average, this probably happens 2 to 3 times a year. I'm assuming the same happens to KIXS' edge of service on a handful of nights per year (which is what you saw). DXing is like a box of chocolates...

On an interesting note, a carefully placed antenna in Katy will get you KIXS instead of KQQK any time of the year.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom