• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Should soda be allowed to advertise on radio & TV ????

hamster

Frequent Participant
My boss is on an anti-soda kick. Not only in the past two weeks she had the soda machines removed but if we are seen drinking a soda at work we will lose our health insurance. Actually she kept her word on that as my co-worker was seen drinking a Pepsi and she cancelled his insurance. She claims that the internet is full of anti-soda stories and people need to read it. Right now you can"t advertise tobacco on TV but she thinks they shouldn't advertise soda either. Oh for the record my boss in encouraging us to drink more coffee and energy drinks even though it has been said that energy drinks like Red Bull are worse than soda but she isn't buying that. Do you agree with my boss ??

I personally gave up drinking it about six years ago due to health concerns.
I am happy with the decision and confident I made the right choice.

That being said, I am not a fan of the idea of government being able to squash the free speech rights of anyone selling a legal product. They got away with this through a series of consent decrees with the tobacco industry starting in the 1970's, but I think it's a slippery slope. I am sure if they had it to do over the tobacco industry would have stood their ground and fought over First Amendment issues.

If a product is proven to be that harmful to human health, they need to just outlaw it.
But instead the government regulates it, and, in the case of tobacco, turns it into a revenue stream. That is both disgusting and dishonest. I do not want to give them the opportunity to do the same with soda pop.

Last edited:
I am sure if they had it to do over the tobacco industry would have stood their ground and fought over First Amendment issues.

Maybe. The original case in 1966 began with a group demanding anti-smoking ads under the fairness doctrine.

Soda pop bad but energy drinks good? I think your boss may have some mental issues. If I were working there, I'd be looking for other employment ASAP, before she really goes off the deep end over something even less serious.

Is she the actual owner of the business? I don't see how she can legally cancel anyone's insurance, especially is she isn't the owner.

In my job the insurance has been changed to where smokers have to pay a larger amount, but even with that they aren't denied insurance. ON the other hand I won't be surprised to see some employers charging more for being overweight. That's where they'd get me, even though I've lost some weight and am trying to lose more.

In any case she does sound nuts if she thinks Red Bull is better than soda. :confused:

My boss is on an anti-soda kick. Not only in the past two weeks she had the soda machines removed but if we are seen drinking a soda at work we will lose our health insurance. Actually she kept her word on that as my co-worker was seen drinking a Pepsi and she cancelled his insurance.

That seems like a mighty tall drink of Mississippi Mud. Assuming the story is true and she did in fact cancel an employee's health insurance for drinking a Pepsi, I suspect the lawyers would be on the case in a Cedar Rapids minute.

She's an idiot. If it is legal to consume, she has no right. I'd be talking to an attorney. She is what is WRONG with this country. It's her way or the highway based solely on her personal convictions. I'd look for a new job. I have no issue with paying more for insurance for taking risks that may hurt my health. I have an issue with people forcing their views on me, especially when the activity is perfectly legal. Maybe she should deny insurance to those that have received a ticket for unsafe driving, or skydiving or any number of other activities that occur. Where do we draw the line?

Is she the actual owner of the business? I don't see how she can legally cancel anyone's insurance, especially is she isn't the owner.

I'm pretty sure this isn't legal. Otherwise, it would be legal for employers to dump individual employees off their insurance if they became ill - and that wasn't legal, even before Obamacare came along.

If a product is proven to be that harmful to human health, they need to just outlaw it.
"They, them, those people, the suits in Washington".
This is a noble endeavor for which you are to be commended.
Al Capone and every bootlegger and undocumented pharmaceutical manufacturer and importer would join us in this praise.

Can you think of any easilly grown plant that if you made paper, nylon rope, construction materials, beverage alcohol,
or any of a number of pharmaceutical agents and had a few extra billion dollars laying around,
you might want to contribute to some election campaigns and describe with colorful words such as
deadly, destructive, easilly abused, addictive, and gateway?
Yes, dangerous things should be banned, but on a personal level.

Last edited:

A person can develop a fantastic business selling products that the government has banned. Just ask Al Capone. :D

right now, we are lucky Soda hasn't been given the full tobacco and alcohol treatment. i'm sure in 20 to 40 years from now, they will be treated as bad as tobacco, in fact, wouldn't be surprise if they add a "Surgeon General" warning label on soda drinks and energy drinks saying "this product may cause Weight Gain, Diabetes, Cancer, Heart Disease, Osteoporosis, Stomach illnesses including Acid Reflux/Heartburn and gastrointestinal issues, Kidney illnesses including Kidney Stones and Kidney Disease, Liver damage and Liver Diseases, Tooth Decay/Gingivitis/Gum Diseases, Hypertension (High Blood), this product should only be ingested in moderation and should not be on a normal diet, ingesting this product in excess could lead to illness and death, drink at your own risk".

right now, we are lucky Soda hasn't been given the full tobacco and alcohol treatment. i'm sure in 20 to 40 years from now, they will be treated as bad as tobacco, in fact, wouldn't be surprise if they add a "Surgeon General" warning label on soda drinks and energy drinks saying "this product may cause Weight Gain, Diabetes, Cancer, Heart Disease, Osteoporosis, Stomach illnesses including Acid Reflux/Heartburn and gastrointestinal issues, Kidney illnesses including Kidney Stones and Kidney Disease, Liver damage and Liver Diseases, Tooth Decay/Gingivitis/Gum Diseases, Hypertension (High Blood), this product should only be ingested in moderation and should not be on a normal diet, ingesting this product in excess could lead to illness and death, drink at your own risk".

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Inhaling Dihydrogen Monoxide may cause breathing difficulties, loss of consciousness, brain or lung damage, or possibly death.

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Inhaling Dihydrogen Monoxide may cause...possibly death.
May cause possible death?
The following are undisputed facts:

Room temperature DHMO causes death when inhaled in very small quantities.
Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe skin damage.
Gaseous DHMO causes blistering.
It is used as an industrial solvent and coolant and in the production of styrofoam.
Monsanto has admitted that DHMO is used to activate their GMO seeds.
Elite, successful athletes know that it enhances performance.

Last edited:
right now, we are lucky Soda hasn't been given the full tobacco and alcohol treatment.

Mark my words, this is all about money. Activist groups and cash-strapped government are looking at Coca-Cola and PepsiCo and seeing a big heaping pile o'cash, and thinking they'd like some of that too.

Anymore these movements are about rolling somebody for money, not about defending health or
doing the right thing.

I read the comments...a few things here...

!. My boss OWNS the company. She inherited the company two years ago from her grandfather so suing her is not an option.

2. My boss is 27 years old..a millennial !!! That explains a lot here. Growing up in a household of amber alerts and code Adams, can't do this and can't do that or whatever going from that to having your own business but NO soda is really not that big. She grew up on energy drinks so one can not expect her to be against such things.

3. Why don't you find another job ?? I am almost 50. It may be tough but I am not gonna give up.

I really doubt that state law would allow her to cancel health insurance like that. She could institute a risk based premium as many businesses do, but she likely violated the law in cancelling the insurance of your colleague. I understand that there is no desire to rock the boat. She's a fool and the company isn't likely to do well under her stewardship. I hope it sustains itself long enough so you can retire or go elsewhere.

Since the majority of commercials consist of half and non-truths why not just eliminate all products from being advertised?

Since the majority of commercials consist of half and non-truths
why not just eliminate all products from being advertised?
I have never minded being told about who an underwriter is, but I do not like a sponsor telling me what to go out and do.
Tell me an address and phone number but not to call or visit, that will be my decision.
Do not lie and suggest that a bank is responsible for today's traffic report because if they were not there,
someone else would be or the station would run it until they find someone just to attract listeners.
Tell me that Walmart has stores near where I live, but if I need a certain product, I will ask what the price is when I get there.
Tell me where a movie is about to open but I will decide if I want to see it.
We do not even know each other and you have no idea what my tastes are like.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom