• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Neil Diamond lyric question

ixnay

Star Participant
"Cracklin' Rosie you're a store bought woman/but you make me sing like a guitar hummin'"

What does "store bought" mean in such a context? Is it meant to be a pejorative? "Cracklin' Rosie" makes it sound that way. Other than in Neil's hit, I've hardly heard it used.

ixnay

"Cracklin' Rosie you're a store bought woman/but you make me sing like a guitar hummin'"

What does "store bought" mean in such a context? Is it meant to be a pejorative? "Cracklin' Rosie" makes it sound that way. Other than in Neil's hit, I've hardly heard it used.

ixnay

The way I heard it explained - "Cracklin' Rosie" isn't a woman at all - it is a bottle of booze. So the whole song is about a hobo getting drunk on a bottle of cheap wine.

ixnay

It's about drinking a bottle of rosé wine.

It's about drinking a bottle of rosé wine.

Yep, and the song is written from the point of view of a bum. The line "Hitchin' on a twilight train" makes that pretty obvious. I wonder if he ran into Brook Benton in that boxcar musing about the Georgia rain and how it must be "rainin' all over the world."

Yep, and the song is written from the point of view of a bum. The line "Hitchin' on a twilight train" makes that pretty obvious. I wonder if he ran into Brook Benton in that boxcar musing about the Georgia rain and how it must be "rainin' all over the world."

I wonder if he ran into a gambler that knows when to hold them, and knows when to fold them.

Rich Appel played Cracklin' Rosie during a show featuring songs about food and drink in November 2019- the "Thanksgiving 30 Countdown." It was played back to back with Red Red Wine by UB40 (a Neil Diamond cover of course), and during the same hour as Elderberry Wine by Elton John. So it's quite clear what the song is about.

The Moët & Chandon 2012 Grand Vintage Brut Rosé is a lovely cracklin' rosie. 🍾

The way I heard it explained - "Cracklin' Rosie" isn't a woman at all - it is a bottle of booze. So the whole song is about a hobo getting drunk on a bottle of cheap wine.

Hey, careful what you say about cheap wine. It was better than Ripple!

Here's a pic of the label:

For many songwriters, a bottle of wine can be likened to a woman.

The song was written by Neil himself by the way. Recorded in LA with the Wrecking Crew. Al Casey played guitar.

From a comment on a site with lyric meanings:
>
Neil Diamond said he was once travelling though a small hick town (forgotten where) which was on the outskirts of a Native American Reserve. The Natives were addicted to alcohol, but didn't have enough money to afford real drink. So they purchased an aftershave lotion from the local drugstore. Neil remembered it was pink in colour, and THIS WAS THE REASON the Natives called it "Cracklin Rosie"... as though it was some fancy sparkling wine or something.
And Neil was there when they sat around drinking this stuff in order to get drunk and forget all of their troubles... If you have EVER had to help get a loved one though the agony of alcohol addiction (like I have)... YOU'LL UNDERSTAND just how lovely... and how SAD, this song really is.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom