• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WFNX flip to Harbor was 5 yrs ago today

https://formatchange.com/101-7-the-harbor-debuts/
Dirty water played a couple times, an intro to the new we play anything format, then Aerosmith's Sweet Emotion.7-24-12 was the Clear Channel flip of alternative WFNX to variety hits the Harbor WHBA.

I think it only lasted till the following Dec when it became Evolution with elec dance music, and then that was gone in June of 2014 when it flipped to country as WBWL the Bull.

Last edited:
https://formatchange.com/101-7-the-harbor-debuts/
Dirty water played a couple times, an intro to the new we play anything format, then Aerosmith's Sweet Emotion.7-24-12 was the Clear Channel flip of alternative WFNX to variety hits the Harbor WHBA.

I think it only lasted till the following Dec when it became Evolution with elec dance music, and then that was gone in June of 2014 when it flipped to country as WBWL the Bull.

Was "The Harbor" ever meant to be a permenant format...or just a placeholder?

I think as The Bull...101.7 has done better than anything they have tried since WFNX had it's brief day in the sun.

My guess placeholder and if it clicked they could have continued. iHR put on their EDM for a time then they finally did dive into country.

My guess placeholder and if it clicked they could have continued. iHR put on their EDM for a time then they finally did dive into country.

Harbor had the sound of a placeholder. Now, did they really think EDM was viable, or was Evolution also a placeholder while the iHeart number crunchers did their research into what format would eventually provide the best profit margin on 101.7?

The Harbor was quite putrid and needed a federal judge to mandate a cleanup.

Evolution was great.
Too bad it didn't catch on, but it was nice they tried.

Wasn't this the flip where they had 3 or 4 or 5 different stunt flips over a few days time including "The Bone" and Mike-FM?

No that was the flip of 96.9 WTKK talk to Hot 96.9..each format lasted about a day.
In the case of WFNX news broke of the sale, there was a series of on air farewells I believe then they were automated FNX music,then Dirty Water got played a few times then into The Harbor. At one point a snatch of a country song came on just before Dirty Water, a fakeout?

On the day of the flip to country word broke on All Access etc that it would go country at 3 pm.Actually country started to be played around noon with announcements saying people should tweet what country songs they wanted to hear with hashtag #CountryOn1017 and by three there was the official announcement of The Bull

No that was the flip of 96.9 WTKK talk to Hot 96.9..each format lasted about a day.

Ah yes. Well thank you for correcting me in front of the entire class. :)

If I recall correctly, I enjoyed that 'Bone' format and I definitely enjoyed the brief return of 'Mike'. Mike was one of my favorite stations.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom