• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WHLI 1100 AM Nighttime Signal Question

xmradiopro

Star Participant
Did WHLI 1100 ingrate their power ? I usually don't get them at night from South Queens but was getting them pretty good in the middle of the night. before 6AM this morning they were coming in full blast. Just wondering.

If memory serves me correctly, back when I worked at 1440 WNYG we were allowed to go to full power (1000 watts) at 5:30 AM during the months of June & July. WHLI may have a similar scenario and be able to sign on before 6:00 at their full power or at a reduced power.

Did WHLI 1100 ingrate their power ? I usually don't get them at night from South Queens but was getting them pretty good in the middle of the night. before 6AM this morning they were coming in full blast. Just wondering.

A station on a regional channel is intended to operate at full power after sunrise. In June and July, depending on the area of the country, that can be pretty early. I would've said any AM station but sometimes clear channels are bogged down by critical hours protection of the primary station or stations for the two hours after sunrise and before sunset.

Perhaps the engineers aboard here can verify this suspicion of mine .....

The thought is that when WHLI raised their power to 10,000 watts, they went to one of those casual two-tower directional signal limitations NOT as much to protect the full-time Cleveland omni-directional WTAM but the daytime station BETWEEN WHLI and WTAM. That's the wee WGPA Allentown-Bethlehem.

After all, WHLI traditionally has been a strict daytime-only station for decades. WHLI, WGPA and WTAM are pretty darned co-linear. So a new, beefed up 10,000 watt WHLI pulling in their *daytime* signal away from Cleveland also would be protecting the Allentown station.

Two-tower AM arrays effectively maintain a more gentlemanly null that those more severe signals radiated by three or more towers.
Cleveland is over 400 miles west of WHLI's signal when WHLI is on the air in the daytime. I'm just asking if WHLI's casual, relaxed null in that west direction is primarily to protect the closer WGPA.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom