• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FCC Issues $66K Proposed Fine to Alaska Broadcaster

Actually the EAS is only a very small part of the problem. There were other major serious issues. Even so, the average station would not be faced with the same fine for the same infractions. The problem was the FCC had been dealing with them, pointing out the issues one by one and giving the station 30 days to explain and tell them how they'd come in to compliance. The station never responded once in 3 years, I think. It is highly unlikely the station can afford a $66,000 fine and I am not sure how lenient the FCC will be if they prove they cannot pay such a fine. I suspect the FCC took the easier route of the two choices: fine them into surrendering the license versus starting a case to revoke the license. In the manner chosen, if the fine is not paid, the license will not be renewed as in 'red lighted' and the station will have a D in front of their call letters.

There were violations on public files, main studio, transmitter access and control of transmitter including monitoring. There might even be some other issues. I read the document in the Daily Digest and it was quite lengthy and detailed.

Morale of the story: If the FCC sends a letter demanding an explanation of a violation they found, by all means respond. The FCC, due to their inaction, can now justify the words 'willful' and 'lack of candor', simply the most severe terms that can be used for a licensee's performance.

The FCC is radio's police. What they have done is essentially no different than refusing to pull on a traffic stop, then refusing to get out of the car. You've likely seen what happens to those that choose to do so on TV. You're just asking for it. And, in the FCC's case, they just delivered but the FCC is not done yet.

In short, I sure wouldn't want to be in their shoes right now.

In my experience, I contend the FCC makes the rules and interprets them. They will always have the upper hand. However they are run by human beings. If you treat them with the respect they deserve and are candid with them, they're generally very understanding and helpful. That does not mean you will not be fined for a violation. It does mean they may help you understand how to get in compliance and give you some tips on anything else they might see that could go awry.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom