• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

B 97.5 on 107.3

Ah, that makes sense. Your original point is true though about the translator's signal reach. There is a tendency to think these translators will be able to compete against the big guys but listeners on the outskirts aren't going to put up with such an inferior signal.

I think actually that 97.1 has the best translator coverage from way up there on Bluff Mountain. Can you imagine what their signal would be if they were the full 250 watts?

I was just looking at 97.1's coverage on Radio-Locator. Looks like they have a CP to move the translator to Sharp's Ridge & power up to the maximum 250watts. Not sure if it's moved yet or not, but this should put their signal/reach pretty equal to that of 107.3 & 99.7 as far as Knoxville proper coverage. Seems like these translators on Sharp's Ridge do ok, but not great. With Knoxville's hills & valleys & sprawling suburbs, coverage w/ a single translator is difficult. Seems like the Sharp's Ridge ones cover downtown, north Knox, & the near west suburbs decently. But once you venture out past say West Hills or C Bluff, they get spotty. Probably, optimal situation would be two translators (Sharp's Ridge & one somewhere in west Knox Co).

They'll be trading one audience for another moving from Bluff Mtn to Sharps Ridge. I still question that there's a sufficient number of oldies collectors to keep it afloat, but hitgh school sports helps. The new signal will be directional toward Seymour and away from Somerset. Still doesn't look like much in the way of West Knoxville coverage.

Yes, I would say around West Hills is where you start to get some static from those Sharps Ridge translators (as well as WKCS.) It feels like there may be a slight elevation change around there which also contributes to it. It's too bad that 97.1 is relocating because their signal from Bluff Mountain comes in very well on the west side and even over in Maryville/Alcoa. I used to have them on a preset (until I got tired of the obscure oldies.)

I have WKCE on my second=tier presets but it's rare I can sit through more than one title. I'd program more along the lines of WDJO, Cincinnati or iHeart's Real Oldies Channel ("from the Cas Walker Markets Studios....."). I wasn't getting 107.3 so well in South Knoxville this morning.

They got ejected from my second tier presets so that means there are 12 stations I prefer over WKCE. I do manually tune over once in awhile to see what they are doing. I still think they wouldn't lose any of their current listeners if they went to a mass appeal '60s format and they would gain a lot more.

Maybe I'm weird but I love wKCE. Of course I don't live there anymore, so I have to listen online, but I like the wide playlist with the emphasis on pre-Beatles era.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom