• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KCSN - KSBR partnership about to commence

Can anyone here record for Joe ('goriajk') the aircheck of KSBR's transition starting at approx 9:30 am to approximately 10:30 am when the simulcast happens next week on Tuesday Sept 12th? Joe is on vacation now so he can't do it. Anyone? -- certainly will be appreciated!!

Can someone explain how a combined KCSN and KSBR can expand their signal well into Los Angeles with two relatively low-powered signals placed at polar opposites of the area? Is this just marketing?

This is a fine idea as far as it goes, but they are really missing the boat by not getting on some HD channel with one of the strong FM frequencies in town, particularly The Sound on 100.3. I've mentioned before that having KCSN on one of The Sound's HD channels is a win-win for both parties. KCSN gets major market coverage that would not otherwise be attainable to them, The Sound gets to show off their musical cache/street cred and keep listeners who tire of the repetitious Santana records and want to hear something different (but still in a similar genre) nearby instead of having them surf down to KLOS or Jack. Both stations cross-promote the other since they are not really in competition, but get the increased benefit of the shared audience.

This makes even more since now then when I mentioned it several years back as almost all new car radios have HD subchannels built into the radio and it is now much easier to program them into your channel line-up.

I'd like to see this. I recently purchased a new vehicle and was surprised to see that it came as a standard feature. My brother's new Honda also includes HD Radio as a standard feature. I know iBiquity doesn't promote HD Radio as much as they did in the past, but would love to see some new unique HD channels pop up, instead of just AM radio simulcasts.

Can anyone here record for Joe ('goriajk') the aircheck of KSBR's transition starting at approx 9:30 am to approximately 10:30 am when the simulcast happens next week on Tuesday Sept 12th? Joe is on vacation now so he can't do it. Anyone? -- certainly will be appreciated!!

I maybe "out of it", but I wouldn't even know how to record live radio any more. Of course back in the day, you simply got a combined radio receiver and cassette deck, and then pushed "play" and "record" at the same time whatever you wanted to record came on. But we don't even have a cassette player any more and I recently (and very reluctantly) threw away all of my old cassettes. The memories they carried were priceless, but with the tape all stretched and decayed, it wouldn't matter whether I had a working cassette player or not.

Great station and how a real AAA should sound like. In my point of view better than the NYC one WFUV. More familiar music and artists, a great mix of real good rock.
But is the station running jockless at the moment? No Nic Harcourt at the moment.

Great station and how a real AAA should sound like. In my point of view better than the NYC one WFUV. More familiar music and artists, a great mix of real good rock.
But is the station running jockless at the moment? No Nic Harcourt at the moment.

Erwin....I've been listening this AM (9a and 10a hours) and Nic is opening the mike every couple songs or so. Have heard him during multiple stop-sets, including local providing weather updates.

Yes, I hear him also later, but what I saw on the schedule he should be on from 6 AM but he wasn't this morning.

I still want to know how adding a small Class A in Orange County can add 8 million people to the coverage area? David - do you know?

I am equally mystified.

The two stations believe that having the frequencies synchronized will allow a new "interference free" zone to be created.

That theory may help a bit in cars with good FM radios, but what they think will happen defies the laws of physics.

I am equally mystified.

The two stations believe that having the frequencies synchronized will allow a new "interference free" zone to be created.

That theory may help a bit in cars with good FM radios, but what they think will happen defies the laws of physics.

Except to have an interference free zone, you'd have to have the areas overlap like the 103.1's - which don't...

You're not extending the area...

Except to have an interference free zone, you'd have to have the areas overlap like the 103.1's - which don't...

You're not extending the area...

The part where the idea fails the most is in the presentation in a deck on the Saddleback radio website where they talk about the combined 40 dbu coverage area.

I wish my radio could pick up stations at that level!

I am equally mystified.

I like the concept, but I agree with David, the reception is spotty and with the simulcast there will be a pronounced picket fence effect through most of north and central Orange County right on through Irvine to the El Toro Y. As you said the law of physics cannot be repealed!

I tuned into 88.5 in my car radio near my office close to John Wayne Airport. KSBR barely piped through.

Good idea and would love to listen, but I have a feeling the signal will continue to be terrible.

I tuned into 88.5 in my car radio near my office close to John Wayne Airport. KSBR barely piped through.

Good idea and would love to listen, but I have a feeling the signal will continue to be terrible.

My office is also close to JW Airport (Baker Street and Red Hill Avenue) but heck I listen to any station I want that streams and is available on Tune In Radio or I-Heart-Radio so OTA reception is not really a factor for me. The KCSN signal is supposed to be directional but it still interferes with KSBR even around the airport EVEN in parts of Mission Viejo (its COL) where I live. If there were a way for the engineers to prevent any seepage of KCSN into Orange County, that might help. KSBR is non-directional

My office is also close to JW Airport (Baker Street and Red Hill Avenue) but heck I listen to any station I want that streams and is available on Tune In Radio or I-Heart-Radio so OTA reception is not really a factor for me. The KCSN signal is supposed to be directional but it still interferes with KSBR even around the airport EVEN in parts of Mission Viejo (its COL) where I live. If there were a way for the engineers to prevent any seepage of KCSN into Orange County, that might help. KSBR is non-directional
John, I work at the AT&T offices on Red Hill @ Edinger in Tustin - KSBR comes in quite well

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom