• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KCSN - KSBR partnership about to commence

I've been listening last few days to KCSN... Production is much tighter than I can remember, the variety of music is unmatched anywhere in SoCal, I mean where else can you hear a track from Sparks or the track "The Day Brings" - Brad (a track/band featuring Stone Gossard and Mike McCready members of Pearl Jam)

KCSN - KSBR partnership about to commence in September (Labor Day weekend?) with a simulcast on KSBR of the AAA programming available on KCSN; The current KSBR mostly jazz format moves to FM-HD2

I can not figure out how they think they will have a usable signal that covers nearly 8 million more people just by simulcasting. There are no CPs for increased power, and the 60 dbu of KCSN remains at roughly 3,000.000 and that of KSBR remains at 600,000.

My commute is from Mission Viejo to Costa Mesa and the 2 stations start interfering with each other around the 405/133 intersection in Irvine. By the time I get near John Wayne, it's very spotty. I agree I don't see how they can achieve the coverage they're hoping for. Listeners in south Orange County (Mission Viejo, Lake Forest, San Juan Cap, Dana Point, San Clemente) will be pleased. Its not like the previous situations on 93.5. 92.7, and 103.1. That said, with Bluetooth/cell phone/Tune In Radio app or station app combination, OTA reception is not an issue for me ha

I can not figure out how they think they will have a usable signal that covers nearly 8 million more people just by simulcasting. There are no CPs for increased power, and the 60 dbu of KCSN remains at roughly 3,000.000 and that of KSBR remains at 600,000.

It will entail far more than just a simulcast. Without digital transmission, it wouldn't be possible. Digital allows the two signals to be synchronized so the areas where they previously interfered with each other will now be able to get the signal clearly. So they say anyway...

It will entail far more than just a simulcast. Without digital transmission, it wouldn't be possible. Digital allows the two signals to be synchronized so the areas where they previously interfered with each other will now be able to get the signal clearly. So they say anyway...

That might be a slight opportunity for in-car listening. The 65 dbu contours don't even come close to overlapping, and 65 dbu is necessary for in-home and at-work building penetration. Any gain due to synchronization is going to be outside the 54 dbu of either station, and there we are talking about very weak signals that not even all car radios can pick up reliably.

KCSN - KSBR partnership about to commence in September (Labor Day weekend?) with a simulcast on KSBR of the AAA programming available on KCSN; The current KSBR mostly jazz format moves to FM-HD2

Here is the link to the proposed partnership:

https://www.socccd.edu/board/highlights/documents/FINALREVISIONSKSBRKCSNPartnership.pdf

Here is the link to the final revision-

https://www.socccd.edu/board/highlights/documents/6.03-KSBRandKCSNCollaboration.pdf

I'm curious. Will LA have any kind of jazz radio station (on HD1) after this? The Bay area still has non-commercial KCSM (cute coincidence) - in this case for "College of San Mateo." Many of the hosts are veterans of the late lamented KJAZ which was on the air from 1957 to about 1995

That might be a slight opportunity for in-car listening. The 65 dbu contours don't even come close to overlapping, and 65 dbu is necessary for in-home and at-work building penetration. Any gain due to synchronization is going to be outside the 54 dbu of either station, and there we are talking about very weak signals that not even all car radios can pick up reliably.

This is a fine idea as far as it goes, but they are really missing the boat by not getting on some HD channel with one of the strong FM frequencies in town, particularly The Sound on 100.3. I've mentioned before that having KCSN on one of The Sound's HD channels is a win-win for both parties. KCSN gets major market coverage that would not otherwise be attainable to them, The Sound gets to show off their musical cache/street cred and keep listeners who tire of the repetitious Santana records and want to hear something different (but still in a similar genre) nearby instead of having them surf down to KLOS or Jack. Both stations cross-promote the other since they are not really in competition, but get the increased benefit of the shared audience.

This makes even more since now then when I mentioned it several years back as almost all new car radios have HD subchannels built into the radio and it is now much easier to program them into your channel line-up.

"musical cache/street cred"? Please be careful mentioning that term in the same sentence as "The Sound"

That is my point. There is a finite life to spinning 40 year old Boston records on the radio everyday. In order for the Sound, or any classic rock station for that matter, to be around and in the same format ten years from now, they need to figure out how to bring new ears to their station by incorporating new acts. This is the genius of the Jack format - play the classic rock, play the old KROQ music, but little by little slip the new acts that fit the format into the rotation and develop them*. I saw this a lot with the Black Crowes in the 90s. They were definitely of the new generation, but they had a very classic rock sound to the band, so they easily fit in all of the rock formats at the time (still do).

If The Sound can market itself as being partners with KCSN that gives exposure to acts that, because of financial considerations The Sound itself simply cannot, they benefit. They would then take the cream of the crop KCSN acts and "promote" them to the big FM signal and freshen up the format. And KCSN has new acts to offer that do cross over. I know I heard Adele on KCSN months, if not a full year, before she ever crossed over and now she is a star. What new stars has the Sound found lately?

*Actually, Jack doesn't develop the new acts, they develop their certain format that is always evolving. Listening to Jack today is not at all like listening to it ten years ago. The station evolves through careful monitoring and massaging the format. But putting the right mix of new acts is definitely a large part of that.

Last edited:
I'm curious. Will LA have any kind of jazz radio station (on HD1) after this? The Bay area still has non-commercial KCSM (cute coincidence) - in this case for "College of San Mateo." Many of the hosts are veterans of the late lamented KJAZ which was on the air from 1957 to about 1995

KKJZ 88.1 Long Beach

This is a fine idea as far as it goes, but they are really missing the boat by not getting on some HD channel with one of the strong FM frequencies in town, particularly The Sound on 100.3. I've mentioned before that having KCSN on one of The Sound's HD channels is a win-win for both parties. KCSN gets major market coverage that would not otherwise be attainable to them, The Sound gets to show off their musical cache/street cred and keep listeners who tire of the repetitious Santana records and want to hear something different (but still in a similar genre) nearby instead of having them surf down to KLOS or Jack. Both stations cross-promote the other since they are not really in competition, but get the increased benefit of the shared audience.

This makes even more since now then when I mentioned it several years back as almost all new car radios have HD subchannels built into the radio and it is now much easier to program them into your channel line-up.

... except that The Sound is the station most likely to be spun off by Entercom when the CBS deal closes, and the prospective owners will likely not keep the format.

... except that The Sound is the station most likely to be spun off by Entercom when the CBS deal closes, and the prospective owners will likely not keep the format.

Exactly. They should have been proactively strengthening the brand and freshening up the presentation in creative ways similar to what I have described while they had a chance. They have had years in the format, and like most everyone else, sat on it because it was too easy to spin Lynerd Skynerd and Zeppelin records all day. After awhile, people don't care how sweet a home Alabama is.

KCSN

David, I'm already preparing to change my preset to 104.3 from 100.3 when the announcement occurs. John, I'm looking so forward to the improved KCSN coverage, though it will still be a weaker signal, it will be much better than what it is now. I get KSBR interference in Torrance, and I have to go to KCRW or KPCC HD2 (89.3 The Current). I'm so looking forward to "Rockin' 88.5" in September - just in time to renew my KCSN membership!! Joe G

Last edited:
KCSN 88.5 turned back on its HD signal Saturday 08/05/17 and Latin Alternative is on 88.5 HD2 (but for how long?)

KCSN 88.5 turned back on its HD signal Saturday 08/05/17 and Latin Alternative is on 88.5 HD2 (but for how long?)

How long was the HD off?

I wish KSBR would have kept their jazz format and synched with Jazz 88.3 KSDS (right next to it on the dial) and/or KKJZ 88.1 Then we could have a good jazz signal all the way from San Diego to Santa Monica.

KSBR Jazz will be available on HD3 and I listen on TuneIn when I'm out of range with good quality sound too.
There's supposed to be a new website with a stream available to, when they get to it.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom