• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS Launches All Traffic/Weather HD in Pittsburgh...could Philly be next?

atthestars

Star Participant
CBS Radio announced that they have launched an All Traffic & Weather channel on WDSY-HD3 in Pittsburgh, which seems smart with their new Traffic departments.

Could we see them try this on one of the HD's in Philly as well with KYW anchors?

Could Total Traffic follow suit (or beat them to the punch in other markets) on an iHeart HD channel?

CBS Radio announced that they have launched an All Traffic & Weather channel on WDSY-HD3 in Pittsburgh, which seems smart with their new Traffic departments.

Could we see them try this on one of the HD's in Philly as well with KYW anchors?

Could Total Traffic follow suit (or beat them to the punch in other markets) on an iHeart HD channel?

Seriously? An HD station with live talent doing just traffic & weather repeatedly? Sounds unnecessary and expensive.

Seriously? An HD station with live talent doing just traffic & weather repeatedly? Sounds unnecessary and expensive.

Well considering that Pittsburgh no longer has a Traffic and Weather channel from SiriusXM, this just sounds like a great alternative. I think Philly will get one powered by KYW.

Unfortunately, I don't see Miami having one anytime soon. :-(

I highly doubt it will be live. The reports will be recorded and fed from KDKA anchors and aired. No extra cost to CBS... same talent just adding extra reports to their daily duties.

Interesting use of an HD channel. New York and LA would be obvious choices. It would fit on 101.1 hd4 in New York. CBS sports is on both HD3 and HD4. There are only two stations that I know of doing the format both in Canada on 730 in Vancouver and in Montreal in French.

Well considering that Pittsburgh no longer has a Traffic and Weather channel from SiriusXM, this just sounds like a great alternative. I think Philly will get one powered by KYW.(

Philadelphia is one of the eight cities still covered by what remains of SiriusXM's traffic and weather channels. There are four now, covering Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, Detroit, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles. Why Detroit and not San Francisco or another larger market is a puzzle -- maybe a quid pro quo to the automakers?

It's almost a no-brainer. One minute traffic report recorded twice an hour remotely, sixty second commercial, one minute weather report recorded once every three hours remotely, two minutes commercials. Lather, rinse, repeat. Just one more duty to offload onto an intern (get the traffic guy and Accuweather guy to provide an added tag "...on WIP-FM HD 4, Philadelphia" that the intern edits onto the pre-recorded "casts") and you wouldn't need to spend a single penny more and wind up with 36 minutes of avails to sell each hour on a station a lot of people will tune into for five minutes at a time.

It's almost a license to print money.

It's almost a no-brainer. One minute traffic report recorded twice an hour remotely, sixty second commercial, one minute weather report recorded once every three hours remotely, two minutes commercials. Lather, rinse, repeat. Just one more duty to offload onto an intern (get the traffic guy and Accuweather guy to provide an added tag "...on WIP-FM HD 4, Philadelphia" that the intern edits onto the pre-recorded "casts") and you wouldn't need to spend a single penny more and wind up with 36 minutes of avails to sell each hour on a station a lot of people will tune into for five minutes at a time.

It's almost a license to print money.

But remember: HD is dead and it ruined radio because I can't pull in out-of-market stations anymore and it will never, ever be profitable and everyone at iBiquity is evil and should probably be in jail. :rolleyes:

But remember: HD is dead and it ruined radio because I can't pull in out-of-market stations anymore and it will never, ever be profitable and everyone at iBiquity is evil and should probably be in jail. :rolleyes:

HD is not dead. And in many cases it is quite profitable. It is being used successfully for niche programming in many markets, for data streams in many more (live traffic updates, etc) and is used by hundreds of stations to allow an FM translator to be employed.

Out of market listening is of zero importance to stations.

Last edited:

HD is not dead. And in many cases it is quite profitable. It is being used successfully for niche programming in many markets, for data streams in many more (live traffic updates, etc) and is used by hundreds of stations to allow an FM translator to be employed.

Out of market listening is of zero importance to stations.

Breathe, David. I was being sarcastic.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom