• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Pioneer Car Radio - 2017 models, has the Supertuner IIID gone downhill?

Hi guys,

I am looking to replace the radio in my 2005 Subaru Forester. Before the factory radio quit, it got great AM and FM reception. While the radio I am considering (the Pioneer FH-X830BHS) has bluetooth connectivity to put me in the modern era, the tuner specs don't seem all that impressive. 11dBf for useable FM and 25uV for AM. The specs of my 10 year old DEH-P6800MP are 8dBf FM and 18uV AM. The old specs put the radio reception on par with the Chrysler/Infinity unit it replaced - which also got fantastic radio reception on all bands. While I have been reading rave reviews of Pioneer's Supertuner IIID on these forums, none of the accolades are recent. It seems all of the Pioneer head units have the same specs and all of them are supposedly "Supertuner IIID" on their website, although none of them wear the logo on the faceplate. (I suppose it is to make room for all the other logos like HD Radio, Bluetooth, Pandora, Sirius/XM, etc.)

Does anyone here have any "hands on" experience with their current radios with the 11dBf/25uV specs? If so, I'd love to hear what you have to say. I am also open to other brands. I have been a fan of Pioneer car audio since the eighties, when I saved for months in high school for my first Pioneer Supertuner II cassette head unit. (digital tuning!) I have strayed a couple of times to find that while some brands offered good FM reception, most of them didn't spend a nickel on the AM section - and yes, I listen to AM stations for news, talk and sports. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trent

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom