• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

America's Funniest Home Videos on ABC

If the grand prize was $10,000 in 1990, what is it now?
If they didn't keep up with inflation, why are people still submitting clips?
If all one gets is fame, and submitters don't care about the cash, why does ABC/AFHV even offer a prize?

If all one gets is fame, and submitters don't care about the cash, why does ABC/AFHV even offer a prize?

$10,000 is still a decent amount of money. If you think $10K is insignificant, then please send me $10K. I promise it will be significant for me.:rolleyes:

It's hard to believe this is still on the air, since so many similar videos can now be found online, when such a thing was impossible when the show started. But I don't waste my time looking at online videos. It's only on shows hosted by Alfonso Ribeiro, Nick Cannon and Terry Crews (okay, the last two shows seem to have been cancelled, but I have some unwatched episodes recorded) that I actually see these.

$10,000 is still a decent amount of money. If you think $10K is insignificant, then please send me $10K. I promise it will be significant for me.:rolleyes:

I'm not saying it's insignificant, but to offer the same amount after 25 years is wrong.

I was declared disabled, yet I still was denied SS AND disability, so $10K, would definitely keep me in my home until I pass. It's stuff like that that shows that the top 1% will find every way possible to funnel any extra money into their pockets.

There's nothing wrong with still offering ten grand. If the business model works for them, and it does, then where's the problem? Maybe people submit clips because it's fun AND they have a chance at a prize as well as a little fame (perhaps).

I know in my experience, I'm at the point now where my children enjoy it. Yes, they can--and do--find clips on YouTube, some of them from the show itself. But it's still an hour of kick-back, family-friendly entertainment (and it's relatively cheap, let's not forget). More power to them for maintaining the show for three decades (more or less, with that period of just being occasional specials). That's something special in this day and age.

American's Funniest Home Videos will out live us all LOL. I haven't watched it in years UP TV always shows it on weekends pretty much 24/7.

It also makes a good infomercial for Di$ney parks and cruise ships, notice how the winners tend to involve kids, not geezers or twenty somethings who don't buy trips to Di$neyworld

it worked for the late 80s, 90s and early 2000s, but i don't know how, but it's still on the air in the age of YouTube and high speed internet, where you can see the same type of AFV content at the click of the mouse or tap of the smartphone/tablet touch screen.

it worked for the late 80s, 90s and early 2000s, but i don't know how, but it's still on the air in the age of YouTube and high speed internet, where you can see the same type of AFV content at the click of the mouse or tap of the smartphone/tablet touch screen.

Because for one hour a week, enough families and people enjoy someone having pieced together the show, with hosted segments, enjoying it communally.

Yes, YouTube et almoffer similar content, and the show uses those platforms, but it's not hard to see why the TV version remains viable.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom