• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the week: 720

@ Charleston :

When my Folks lived in Florida, between maybe 1994 and 2011, WRZN and the more local WVLG 640 were the only two stations on either AM or FM to play the Standards. I thought that was a disgrace, considering all of the retirees who had been induced to retire to that state.
At the time, WVLG (in The Villages) played the more 'popular' nostalgia, while WRZN could really go off on the 30's and 40's stuff. They must've had quite a library. Both stations were live, too.

I believe WRZN signed off at 10 PM. But being directional, they'd used to get seriously chewed up by (I think) Cuba, and by WGN Chicago.

When non-subscribing stations were listed in the public Arbitron ratings, WRZN used to show up faithfully, albeit with things like 1.5 and 1.8. I only saw WVLG pop up in one book -- the Gainesville-Ocala book.

Daytime:::A hint of KDWN, but very very faint!!

Nights:::KDWN is strong, but I clearly hear another station underneath it. I cannot confirm if it is WGN, but something is their.

Well, Last night I was able to confirm, it's maybe 95% WGN underneath KDWN

For some reason, I question my catch though

I'm in San Jose,California but I'd like to hear from others, here on the west coast if that truly is WGN. I was able to confirm the programming matched a live stream I pulled up on my iPad. When KDWN faded out, the live stream came in pretty good.

KFIR is just north of me, in Oregon, but I did not pull up their live stream. There is a small chance, it could have been them ( syndicated programming ).

If this is WGN ( not only was this a very good signal ), this would be my second farthest catch to date, at just a hair over 1815 miles.

For some reason, I question my catch though

I'm in San Jose,California but I'd like to hear from others, here on the west coast if that truly is WGN. I was able to confirm the programming matched a live stream I pulled up on my iPad. When KDWN faded out, the live stream came in pretty good.

KFIR is just north of me, in Oregon, but I did not pull up their live stream. There is a small chance, it could have been them ( syndicated programming ).

If this is WGN ( not only was this a very good signal ), this would be my second farthest catch to date, at just a hair over 1815 miles.
WGN does make it to the west coast and I have heard it in the past on the Hawaii SDR. WGN comes in pretty well sometimes on the Haida Gwaii SDR in the Pacific Northwest.

I've heard WGN up and down the west coast multiple times. Not an easy catch, but not "mission impossible" either, Nicely done!

Probably much easier to get WGN out west than KDWN in the East.
KDWN downgraded their signal from 50 kW fulltime to 25 kW days and 7500 watts nights in recent weeks. I believe they moved their transmitter to another site, and as a result, lost their protected status. They have to protect WGN now.

KDWN downgraded their signal from 50 kW fulltime to 25 kW days and 7500 watts nights in recent weeks. I believe they moved their transmitter to another site, and as a result, lost their protected status. They have to protect WGN now.
I think the signal had been downgraded already last winter because WGN could be heard on the Hawaii SDR. In the past KDWN could be heard there.

In the southwest suburbs of Chicago, it's WGN all the time. Once, way back, I caught a Cuban that a radio guide said of CMGN in Colon, Cuba, running 30 kw.

If my car radio isn't acting up, I can get WGN during the day nearly to St. Louis to the southwest, almost to Columbus, Ohio to the east, and to about La Crosse, Wis., to the northwest. On some winter nights, I've picked it up in Orlando, Fla.

In the southwest suburbs of Chicago, it's WGN all the time. Once, way back, I caught a Cuban that a radio guide said of CMGN in Colon, Cuba, running 30 kw.

If my car radio isn't acting up, I can get WGN during the day nearly to St. Louis to the southwest, almost to Columbus, Ohio to the east, and to about La Crosse, Wis., to the northwest. On some winter nights, I've picked it up in Orlando, Fla.
I've heard WGN during mid day in the summer near the Minneapolis Airport. This was in the 90s when there was better car radios with good whip antennas.

I've heard WGN during mid day in the summer near the Minneapolis Airport. This was in the 90s when there was better car radios with good whip antennas.
As posted previously, Minneapolis was a frequent business destination for me during a stretch of nearly 30 years. On a good car radio, WGN (and WMAQ/WSCR) were usually doable daytime on an "in an out" basis most of the time throughout the Twin Cities. (By "in and out" I mean you could catch WGN, then lose it in a dead spot or in a high noise area, then drive a block or two, and pick it up again. I followed more than a few Cubs games between my appointments in this fashion).

As a couple of us mentioned, CMGN 720, produced about a 20 Hz heterodyne to WGN, which frequently interfered. What were they thinking with the "GN" in CMGN? How did that happen? Maybe David knows. I assume that the calls preceded the Revolution.

As I recall, the Class II-As were protected from new interference other than the Class I-As, but I don't remember what that protection levels were. I didn't have the access to that information then like today.

As I recall, the Class II-As were protected from new interference other than the Class I-As, but I don't remember what that protection levels were. I didn't have the access to that information then like today.
KDWN first came on the air around 1975. I don't remember if it was called a Class 1B or a 2A. Either way, until it downgraded, it covered most of Nevada, southern California, and Arizona.

WGN really doesn't need to be heard in this part of the world on Ancient Modulation, especially considering their online presence, which includes Blackhawks broadcasts.

As posted previously, Minneapolis was a frequent business destination for me during a stretch of nearly 30 years. On a good car radio, WGN (and WMAQ/WSCR) were usually doable daytime on an "in an out" basis most of the time throughout the Twin Cities. (By "in and out" I mean you could catch WGN, then lose it in a dead spot or in a high noise area, then drive a block or two, and pick it up again. I followed more than a few Cubs games between my appointments in this fashion).
That was my experience too. WMAQ was also in. WBBM was not possible during the daylight because of the local 770 in the Twin Cities.

Baldwin County, Alabama:

Day: Nothing
Night: A mix of Cuba (Progreso?) and WGN.

Like so many of the US clear channel allocations, I get a 50/50 mix of Cuba and America on those frequencies and 720 is certainly no exception. Even the mighty WSM can be lightly nulled here and you'll find Progreso wafting in.

That was my experience too. WMAQ was also in. WBBM was not possible during the daylight because of the local 770 in the Twin Cities.
WLS also not a possibility either because of a local on 900 and a a high powered 880 about 60 miles away in Wisconsin. That said, the whole notion of hearing WLS daytime in the Twin Cities may be moot to begin with due to the higher dial position and the fact that WLS transmits from a site well to the south of the other Chicago blowtorches.

The flip side of the situation with WLS is that....at least in my experience at my home location....I never hear WCCO during the daytime. Their stick is northwest of the immediate metro in Anoka, MN.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom