• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the week: 720

cyberdad

Staff member
Daytime/Nightime: WGN from 25 miles away.

Retro: With WGN off, the channel is fairly empty, but when Cuba was running much higher power on the channel, I could easily hear them when WGN was off at night. Which wasn't very often.

On Business trips to Canada, I'd start hearing (The late, great) CHTN east of Toronto. By the time I'd get to Ottawa and/or Montreal, CHTN would be on top as often as not.

Other Locations: It was fairly common to hear them on a good radio under KDWN on my business trips to the west coast. Especially in the San Francisco Bay area. But it's been at least 20 years since I heard them out there.

Florida: As often as not, I hear WGN over WRZN or whatever is still on the channel from Cuba or elsewhere.

Here in Phoenix, WGN was a regular on winter nights before KDWN started up in the early '70s or thereabouts. KDWN could still be nulled out, as they're 90 degrees or so apart. Nowadays, WGN has been inaudible here.

In the near north Chicago suburbs WGN is loud & clear 24 hours a day. A few times in the past when WGN was off the air I heard what I think was a weak Cuba underneath.
During times I'm out west KDWN rules the frequency at night.

Retro: Before KDWN came on the air I think around 1974, WGN could be heard throughout the western US. I heard it many times at night on trips to California in the 60s & early 70s.

East TN: Daytime: WGCN, Pisgah Forest, NC.
Sunrise/sunset/night WGN.

Other locations: It's usually been one of those 2, but WVCC in Hogansville GA would make it into Ohio around sunset. I've heard WGCN north of Indianapois and in Dayton, Ohio.

Last edited:
Daytime - nothing

Nighttime - KDWN with WGN sometimes appearing in the background and even dominating for brief periods of time.

It's things like this that make me realize my location is an AM DXer's utopia.

Houston, daytime moderate KSAH. Nighttime, mostly WGN.

Daytime - nothing

Nighttime - KDWN with WGN sometimes appearing in the background and even dominating for brief periods of time.

Hawaii was the best place I ever Dxed from. It reminded me of the old days when there were clear channels.

Reynoldsburg, Ohio ...
* Daytime: A very weak WGN if anything, and that is only on the best of radios. During the winter, you might catch WGN on a run-of-the-mill radio, but that is doubtful. You have to go at least 50 miles northwest of Columbus before you can reliably hear WGN during the day.
* Nighttime: All WGN, all the time, usually with a strong signal. If anything else ever shows up on the channel, it's the 720 from North Carolina (WGCR) during critical hours.

Warminster PA(Philly 'burbs):

Daytime: sometimes WHYF(religious station) from the Harrisburg area; otherwise zippo.
Night: always WGN.

About 100 miles NNW of where Ryan lives:
Daytime -- Is that same religious station near Harrisburg. I have 'em logged as WWII.
SSS -- nothing logged of note.
Nighttime -- WGN. And I managed to hear the aforementioned CHTN once. Canadian stations, however scarce nowadays, seem to be the only ones that play music.

@ Ryan : Why don't you sign with the Yankees? They need a first baseman, and you'd hit 35 home runs a year at the Stadium by accident, :)

Last edited:
Daytime - nothing

What about KUAI-720 on Kauai or does that station no longer exist?

I can't speak for Gar, but when I was in Hawaii on Oahu KUAI was a factor, but Gar is on the big island so perhaps he can have more success nulling KUAI.

I don't see anything licensed to HI on 720; the KUAI letters are on the 570 station on Kauai.

When I lived in Hawaii, there was only one station AM station on Kauai It was on 1490. I'm pretty sure that either was the original KUAI. and/or the station that morphed into what wound up on 720. I'm also pretty sure that the move to 720 was made before KDWN showed up. I could understand a move from 720 to 570 to get out from under KDWN, although 570 could involve issues of its own from KVI and KLAC (at least after the latter went to 5kw at night). When KGMB (now KSSK, Honolulu) on 590 had a relay on the big island that took their feed directly over the air, an engineer who worked there told me that the station on 590 in Washington State used to give them fits.

In Charleston, SC, 720 is usually slop from our local on 730. That 730 was off for a few months around 2010, and we got WRZN from Hernando, FL there. At night, WGN usually comes in OK even with the local.

In Independence, OH (7 miles from downtown Cleveland), I just got a weak WGN with my PR-D15 and a loop antenna helped the signal. Not bad in the middle of the summer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom