Orioles on D.C. radio
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orioles on D.C. radio

Orioles on D.C. radio

Just got back from a long weekend in the D.C.-Baltimore region, including a visit to the Cubs-Orioles game on Saturday night (I'm a Cubs fan). Driving back to Ohio today I noticed neither 570 nor 980 was carrying the Orioles pre-game, at least when I checked in, and I found a stronger station up the road on which I could listen to the game.
    My question is, what is the rhyme or reason as to how 570 and 980 carry Orioles games? Both are advertised within Camden Yards itself as the D.C. affiliates, a rare thing in my experience (usually only flagship stations get a nod), which surprised me all the more today that neither station was carrying network programming when I tuned in.

Quote Originally Posted by schmave View Post
    My question is, what is the rhyme or reason as to how 570 and 980 carry Orioles games?
    Might be a holdover from the days when DC's only local baseball team was the Orioles. There still a lot of Os fans in DC.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Might be a holdover from the days when DC's only local baseball team was the Orioles. There still a lot of Os fans in DC.
    AFAIK, there are no restrictions on radio coverage inside other MLB markets, unlike TV. Especially when considering that Baltimore and Washington are only 35 miles apart.
    We have to save the Earth! It's the only planet with football and beer.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithE4 View Post
    AFAIK, there are no restrictions on radio coverage inside other MLB markets, unlike TV. Especially when considering that Baltimore and Washington are only 35 miles apart.
    However, I think the OP is correct that it's rare for a station other than the flagship to be advertised w/in the ballpark.

Another factor may be that WBAL 1090, the flagship's night time signal, barely reaches the DC border.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithE4 View Post
    Correct. The Dodgers have a very far-flung radio network today, ranging from Honolulu to the U.S. Virgin Islands, and including Oklahoma City (which is claimed for TV purposes by the Royals, Cardinals, Rangers, and Astros).
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

Quote Originally Posted by PTBoardOp94 View Post
    Correct. The Dodgers have a very far-flung radio network today, ranging from Honolulu to the U.S. Virgin Islands, and including Oklahoma City (which is claimed for TV purposes by the Royals, Cardinals, Rangers, and Astros).
    The Dodgers' top farm club is in Oklahoma City, which probably explains their presence on OKC radio. Their Class AA team, oddly enough, is also in Oklahoma -- Tulsa. I don't suppose there's a Dodgers affiliate there, though. I wonder how many other major league teams have radio outposts in cities that host their minor league teams. A Twins affiliate in Rochester? A Mets affiliate in Las Vegas? A White Sox affiliate in Charlotte?

Quote Originally Posted by schmave View Post
    which surprised me all the more today that neither station was carrying network programming when I tuned in.
    I checked their website, and it showed them carrying Sunday's game. However perhaps it's possible they only carried the game and not the pre-game.

http://www.espn980.com/espn-980-on-air-schedule/

Appreciate the responses folks. Thanks!
    My question was more about the rotation between the stations themselves than why the Orioles are carried at all in D.C. (I think they absolutely should be given the large number of fans in the market). Where I stay with my buddy in Gaithersburg, there are many areas where you can barely hear flagship 105.7 out of Baltimore, and when I have visited and know the Orioles are playing it's a gamble as to which D.C. station is playing the game. Almost every time I have tried, it's been on 570 even though 980 is more advertised as the affiliate.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    The Dodgers' top farm club is in Oklahoma City, which probably explains their presence on OKC radio. Their Class AA team, oddly enough, is also in Oklahoma -- Tulsa. I don't suppose there's a Dodgers affiliate there, though. I wonder how many other major league teams have radio outposts in cities that host their minor league teams. A Twins affiliate in Rochester? A Mets affiliate in Las Vegas? A White Sox affiliate in Charlotte?
    Doing some digging, I have found a few MLB teams with affiliates outside their typical home area.
    NY Yankees : Honolulu and Tampa for their Spring Training home and Single A affiliate.
    Cubs: Omaha, Las Vegas and Vermillion, SD
    Red Sox: Albuquerque and Jackson, WY
    Angels: Salt Lake City (AAA Affiliate)
    Dodgers: Gallup, NM, OKC, Albuquerque.

FYI, WBAL is not the flagship station and does not broadcast the Orioles games. They are on 105.7 WJZ-FM in Baltimore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast