• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The oasis to classic hits?

The Oasis classifies itself as Soft AC, not classic hits.

David:

The lines between Gold-Based AC like WDUV, Adult Hits KYOT, and Classic Hits KOOL can be blurry now. There are markets where the format listings are downright criminal in Nielsen.

Dove in Tampa is playing Pet Shop Boys and big disco songs but no currents... and KOOL plays 2000's songs from Sheryl Crow.

David:

The lines between Gold-Based AC like WDUV, Adult Hits KYOT, and Classic Hits KOOL can be blurry now. There are markets where the format listings are downright criminal in Nielsen.

Dove in Tampa is playing Pet Shop Boys and big disco songs but no currents... and KOOL plays 2000's songs from Sheryl Crow.

And KRTH played "Viva La Vida" by Coldplay the other day from 2008...

David:

We used to call that "Gold Based AC", but it comes down to what the station wants to be known ass to listeners vs. what they want to be known as to ad agencies. I think that any form of AC tends to get a more positive reaction at the lower levels of the buying function than classic hits does.

(I really wanna' hear PSB doing "You Were Always on my Mind"...)

When did 95.1 the oasis switch to classic hits?

I hear them calling themselves "Classic Hits"
Too many stations now all sound alike: 94.5, 95.5, 95.1, 100.7, etc.

To me 94.5 just plays the same 50 songs over & over.

I hear them calling themselves "Classic Hits"
Too many stations now all sound alike: 94.5, 95.5, 95.1, 100.7, etc.

To me 94.5 just plays the same 50 songs over & over.

Actually, I have never heard the same 50 songs over and over again on 94.5. (Might you be talking about 93.3?) Kidding aside, props to 94.5 for playing something like "Pop Life" by Prince and still playing AT40 on Saturdays -- which, by definition, features 40 DIFFERENT songs and a long-distance dedication, too. Are there any other stations in town that can occasionally guarantee no repeats the way 94.5 can?

Honestly: this is the library and positioning that Oasis should have signed on with in the first place.

Last edited:
We used to call that "Gold Based AC", but it comes down to what the station wants to be known ass to listeners vs. what they want to be known as to ad agencies. I think that any form of AC tends to get a more positive reaction at the lower levels of the buying function than classic hits does.

(I really wanna' hear PSB doing "You Were Always on my Mind"...)

That "Gold-Based AC" label brings back bad memories of blowing up Magic 101 and trading in hip currents for The Supremes and The Boxtops. (shudder)

I suspect that one of the flaws of the "light and refreshing" positioning is that it implies a mood service. If you're not in the mood for something soft, you'll never punch in.

But someone needs to really sit down and go through the imaging at KOAI. There's some sweepers still in there that are left over from the light & sleepy days that sound out of place now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom