• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Entercom New Digs

Entercom moves several stations this week and it doesn't make this board because ....
(a) doesn't involve dx-ing from Yakima or Tri-Cities
(b) doesn't involve Robin & Maynard (anymore)
(c) no one noticed ....

???

Entercom moves several stations this week and it doesn't make this board because ....
(c) no one noticed ....

???

Probably all of the above lol.

But please fill some of us in on the details. Didn't they once occupy an old building on Dexter N.? (just south of the old KING Center, that once housed KIXI AM/FM?)

Probably all of the above lol.

But please fill some of us in on the details. Didn't they once occupy an old building on Dexter N.? (just south of the old KING Center, that once housed KIXI AM/FM?)

That was KMPS and KZOK, which they might own real soon.

(c) no one noticed ....

???

I don't listen to any of Entercom's station on a regular basis...so yeah, I would not have noticed. As to the topics of R&M, dx-ing, and Kokomo, I could really care less.

Didn't they once occupy an old building on Dexter N.? (just south of the old KING Center, that once housed KIXI AM/FM?)

Originally Tacoma Mall Office Building ... then to Met Park where all the stations came/went as they became part of the family. One odd duck was KBSG [97.3] relocating to Eastlake and anticipation at the time was so it could be spun with KIRO/KTTH.

It's almost sad to see Entercom vacate the Met Park tower. Does that mean the CBS cluster will also be moving into the new 5th avenue studio anytime in the future? Or will they be staying on Lake Union?

(c) no one noticed ....

???

Maybe no one but those in the know actually knew.

It's not like the formats of the stations changed, or something super obvious like that.

Boombox, you're probably right. When iHeart moved in 2011, I didn't even know until I read this board. About the only on-air change was that was also about the time Kiss started pitching. Speaking of Cocamo, I think that joke needs to be updated. When that joke started, KJR was very 70s centric, so it seemed a little odd that they'd be playing a song from 1988. Now, it would be in the center of the very 80s centered playlist, but I've been listening a lot lately and haven't heard it. What I have heard is 90s cuts such as Ironic, Iris, Waterfalls, and The Sign.

They're now in the same 5th ave. office building (was a Bank of America corporate site) where Ruth's Chris used to be when they were still a good locally-owned restaurant! I think it's 800-5th.

Originally Tacoma Mall Office Building ... then to Met Park where all the stations came/went as they became part of the family. One odd duck was KBSG [97.3] relocating to Eastlake and anticipation at the time was so it could be spun with KIRO/KTTH.

KIXI, in any form was never at the Tacoma Mall office building. Your thinking of KTAC(850kHz) and KBRD (103.7MHz).

KIXI, in any form was never at the Tacoma Mall office building. Your thinking of KTAC(850kHz) and KBRD (103.7MHz).

KIXI AM/FM was located on the top of the Tower 801 apartment building (8th & Pine) in the late 70's and early 80's. They moved to 113 Dexter N. in February 1983. When KIXI was bought up it became a studio location for other Seattle radio stations, (someone mentioned KZOK and KMPS, but I can't confirm that).

Last edited:
KISW moved to MPW in 1999 from its Aurora Avenue studios at the same time KBSG moved to Eastlake from the penthouse of MPE. IIRC it was an issue of space constraints at MPW that prompted KBSG's Eastlake move, but those who are more expert in Seattle radio history probably know for sure.

KIXI AM/FM was located on the top of the Tower 801 apartment building (8th & Pine) in the late 70's and early 80's. They moved to 113 Dexter N. in February 1983. When KIXI was bought up it became a studio location for other Seattle radio stations, (someone mentioned KZOK and KMPS, but I can't confirm that).

As far as I'm aware, KZOK was located in the Queen Anne district in the late 1980's (87-ish?). I don't recall KMPS being in the same complex. Just KZOK and KJET. For what it's worth....

Last edited:
(c) no one noticed ....

???

Guess you missed one Eric:
(d) Whatever the topic, it will devolve into a local radio history debate involving 1970 to 2000.

KISW moved to MPW in 1999 from its Aurora Avenue studios at the same time KBSG moved to Eastlake from the penthouse of MPE. IIRC it was an issue of space constraints at MPW that prompted KBSG's Eastlake move, but those who are more expert in Seattle radio history probably know for sure.

I still remember their address from the '80s: 712 Aurora Avenue North, Seattle, 98109. Around 1988, my friend and I drove up to Seattle from Olympia and tried to visit Steve Slaton. We didn't didn't get to see him, but we did get some Rock stickers. ;)

Where did I say history was bad? It is pretty common around here to take a current topic for discussion and turn it around to history, or revisionist history, as the case may be.

It is a little disappointing that nobody commented or even mentioned what sort of studios or technology were being used at the new Entercom plant. Maybe those things don't matter to folks that regularly comment on this board? Not being critical, just noticing there doesn't seem to be any interest in the evolution of things.

As some have been critical the new KING TV studios, broadcast technology is making a huge shift over to IP. For radio, big analog audio boards and studio furniture are being replaced with tablets and cloud-based remote voice tracking applications. Details like floating studio floors or isolated studio walls, are being replaced by less-expensive options. The number of staff to support on air operations are being replaced by "digital" folks, who spend their day carrying the station line on social media sites.

Again, not being critical as to the posts, just noticing the lack of interest in modern radio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom