• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FCC warns pirates on 106.3, 87.7, 101.3

My understanding is that the state is using environmental health and safety law to go after the pirates, citing them for unsafe RF levels or something.

Not defending the operators of illegal pirate radio stations here....but that logic is patently absurd.
We're not talking kilowatts of power here.

On the subject f Connecticut pirates, You and I both know it's not, but 1620 in New Britain claims to be Part 15. They're simulcast on an LPFM WPRF-LP 96.9 . Don't forget the 1KW pirate on 1120 with antennas in Bristol and studios in New Britain.

WPRX? Has it ever been officially confirmed that they've been operating on an expired license? I know that's what online databases open to the public indicate, but as we all know, the "insiders" often have different, updated info available to them.

WPRX? Has it ever been officially confirmed that they've been operating on an expired license? I know that's what online databases open to the public indicate, but as we all know, the "insiders" often have different, updated info available to them.

All I know there is a letter from the FCC addressed to the station (but at the wrong address. Their old studio on the Berlin Turnpike instead of their current studio at Hartford Square in New Britain) that said their license had been revoked. They were supposed to cease broadcasting immediately and their tower to be dismantled. I think it was also mentioned in NERW, but I'm not a subscriber.

Datz Hitz 99.7 was shut down for not only interfering with WCRB but also Logan aircraft radio.
As for WPRX Wikipedia says "WPRX's license was canceled on June 7, 2017 for not paying debts it owed to the FCC, which prevented the renewal of the station's license." A.pdf file of the FCC letter can be downloaded in a link on the WPRX Wikipedia page.

Last edited:
Datz Hitz 99.7 was shut down for not only interfering with WCRB but also Logan aircraft radio.
As for WPRX Wikipedia says "WPRX's license was canceled on June 7, 2017 for not paying debts it owed to the FCC, which prevented the renewal of the station's license." A.pdf file of the FCC letter can be downloaded in a link on the WPRX Wikipedia page.

Wikipedia also says the station's last broadcast was on June 7. Yet it's still broadcasting and still streaming online. Putting a decent signal into Meriden right now. The FCC doesn't have the staffing/money/desire to enforce its own action? Or might the matter have been settled and the documentation either not posted to the Web yet or in an obscure corner of the FCC website that none of us non-government types have been able to find yet?

Last edited:

shows as deleted

http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine...bSearchType=Appl&sAppIDNumber=124226&sHours=D

shows last application dismissed.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/w...xt=25&appn=101604195&formid=303&fac_num=13630

history of applications and actions:

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/app_list.pl?Facility_id=13630
letter from 2015 informing them of "red light" status...

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=59176

letter denying on past monies due reasons

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=76670

copy of returned certified mail receipt

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=77469

Last edited:
OK, call me convinced. Now, why no enforcement? This isn't a neighborhood pirate, it's a (formerly) licensed AM station openly ignoring an FCC order.

Not defending the operators of illegal pirate radio stations here....but that logic is patently absurd.
We're not talking kilowatts of power here.

I wouldn't be surprised if "Big City 101.3", that can be heard well beyond Route 128/95 in many areas from its transmitter on Blue Hill Ave in Roxbury, is putting out at least 1 kW. "B87.7" also has a strong signal and could also be up there in power.

I wouldn't be surprised if "Big City 101.3", that can be heard well beyond Route 128/95 in many areas from its transmitter on Blue Hill Ave in Roxbury, is putting out at least 1 kW. "B87.7" also has a strong signal and could also be up there in power.
Another post suggests the WJIB translator may go live by August 4th, and Big City 101.3 is still on, of course. There is no way that WJIB will be listenable in a large part of the coverage area if Big City stays on 101.3. Of course, WJIB may create enough interference to Big City that they will have to move... On top of another station, probably.

Another post suggests the WJIB translator may go live by August 4th, and Big City 101.3 is still on, of course. There is no way that WJIB will be listenable in a large part of the coverage area if Big City stays on 101.3. Of course, WJIB may create enough interference to Big City that they will have to move... On top of another station, probably.

I predict that if "Big City" is still on, the WJIB translator will not make it across the Charles River into Boston AT ALL (except for maybe Brighton/Allston, Charlestown, and possibly East Boston), and it may even get interference from "Big City" in the end of Cambridge toward Boston (Cambridgeport, Kendall Square/MIT, East Cambridge).

"Big City" will get no interference at all from the WJIB translator in it's main target area of the Boston neighborhoods from Boston proper southward, it will completely overpower it there.

I predict that if "Big City" is still on, the WJIB translator will not make it across the Charles River into Boston AT ALL (except for maybe Brighton/Allston, Charlestown, and possibly East Boston),

I am hoping Bob goes on the air even IF Big City is on the air too.

Somehow the point has to be made that they are interfering with a legal licensed station.

ANd not just operating on an "open frequency" as they have claimed.

They may scoff at levied fines or even equipment seizures but the FCC needs to get them off the air, as they did with Touch 106.1. And Datz Hits 99.7 which managed to interfere with aircraft radio. The frequency will be open no more.

>> the point has to be made that they are interfering with a legal licensed station.

ANd not just operating on an "open frequency" as they have claimed.

They may scoff at levied fines or even equipment seizures but the FCC needs to get them off the air, as they did with Touch 106.1. And Datz Hits 99.7 which managed to interfere with aircraft radio. The frequency will be open no more.

101.3 in Boston wasn't an "open frequency". A full-power station could not have gone on there due to being second adjacent to 101.7 WBWL and first adjacent to 101.1 WGIR-FM Manchester, NH and possibly others. The frequency could only legally be used by lower power applications such as translators or LPFM.

True a full powered station couldn't have gone there but as you say a lower powered one could.And any pirate still running on 101.3 when the translator fires up would be interfering with a licensed station.The FCC says a low powered station will go on there and they deserve the right to broadcast without illegal broadcasters cutting in.
The dial is crowded with stations and LPFMs and translators add to that, but the allocation for a translator was set up and the law should be respected.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom