• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Looks Like Newsradio 106-7 Is Here To Stay

Actually I was one of the folks who thought All News was what Atlanta Radio needed before 106.7 came about. I was hoping that CBS would have done it on 92.9. They have several successful all news operations. But they went a sports, which was smart, because the Dickies owned 680 the Fan. Cumulus would never had put sports on 106.7 and kill the CEO family’s cash machine. 92.9’s signal eventually wore down 680 and it’s translator. All news operations are not cheap to run. I knew Cumulus did not the financial ability the wait 4 or 5 years (or longer) to turn a profit. Now we have a similar operation that not working at the old ABC O&O’s in bigger markets. At least the the old ABC AM's can explain away their failures as being on AM.

When a C1 on the same tower and antenna as a full C is severely out billing the class C there is something wrong. IMHO 106.7”s current operation is like someone taking a Rolls Royce and using it a taxi. Yes, you will make a little money as a taxi but at least go the limo route. I would bet a cup of coffee that if 106.7 and 100.5 swapped formats there would be a significant increase in billings on 106.7 that would more than offset any decrease at the news talk operation.

BTW I do enjoy the Kimmer. I do occasionally catch 780 on the skywave at night where there are no storms in the area.

Last edited:
When a C1 on the same tower and antenna as a full C is severely out billing the class C there is something wrong.

You keep saying that as though its true. Being on the same tower doesn't entitle a station to equal billings.

Your post still doesn't explain how a bankruptcy of a company that owns hundreds of stations would lead to a format change of this particular station. I'd suggest that if a judge really wants to focus on underbilling, they might start with the New York cluster. WABC is a 50KW clear channel station that can be heard throughout the east coast, and it's getting killed by the much weaker WINS.

Nothing is forever in radio, but Rodney Ho is reporting that 106.7 9-noon talk host Shannon Burke has signed a new 3-year deal. So it looks like the Cumulus brain trust expects the news/talk format to be around at least that long.

Does this really matter at all? Surely the contract has some outs for both sides in the event of things like format changes or personal conduct. And hell, they can change hosts or whatever they want and just having him do a remote show for some other city until his contract term is fulfilled. It doesn't mean they have to keep the station as-is.

That said, they ARE using him as filler overnight and on weekends. So they're getting a lot of run out of him. Which is fine. Kimmer's senility and missing words from what he is trying to say is hard to listen to. It's even in the ads he records "you don't want some guy in pickup truck pulling up in driveway" and all the time on the show. And the afternoon guy, while interesting, sounds like he has to fight to keep his Irish accent suppressed. It's grating to hear how Kimmer and Burke trash the guy. Definitely a bunch of backstabbers at that station.

Does this really matter at all? Surely the contract has some outs for both sides in the event of things like format changes or personal conduct. And hell, they can change hosts or whatever they want and just having him do a remote show for some other city until his contract term is fulfilled. It doesn't mean they have to keep the station as-is.

That said, they ARE using him as filler overnight and on weekends. So they're getting a lot of run out of him. Which is fine. Kimmer's senility and missing words from what he is trying to say is hard to listen to. It's even in the ads he records "you don't want some guy in pickup truck pulling up in driveway" and all the time on the show. And the afternoon guy, while interesting, sounds like he has to fight to keep his Irish accent suppressed. It's grating to hear how Kimmer and Burke trash the guy. Definitely a bunch of backstabbers at that station.

Personally I found the more in control the PM or Operation Manager is, the less back stabbing takes place (at least on air).

To your first point, WZGC made Moby do traffic to serve out his contract when they dumped his morning show. As long as they pay they can pretty much call the shots.

The "trashing" and "backstabbing" from Kim Peterson is most likely shtick. Back at WGST the Kimmer had a fistfight with someone at the station, on the air. Real as rasslin'. Not everyone's taste, but apparently enough folks like him (he apparently has the highest-rated daypart of the whole station).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom