• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Star's Tower Location

trusty

Star Participant
I'm showing that of the full-power FM towers located in Atlanta:

92.9, 94.1, 94.9, 96.1, 99.7 and 101.5 are at the Shepherds Lane location,
90.1, 98.5 and 103.3 are at New Street,
88.5 is at Old Flat Shoals Road close to I-20 East,
100.5 is on top of the Weston, and
91.1 is on the Tech campus.

Now, Radio-Locator shows that 94.1 has a CP for the Old Flat Shoals Road location, but the mileage shows that the CP should be at the New Street location. (I think someone said they had already moved.)

Where did they go (or are going)? Thanx.

Star 94 used to have one on Bishop St. near Atlantic Station.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm showing that of the full-power FM towers located in Atlanta:

92.9, 94.1, 94.9, 96.1, 99.7 and 101.5 are at the Shepherds Lane location,
90.1, 98.5 and 103.3 are at New Street,
88.5 is at Old Flat Shoals Road close to I-20 East,
100.5 is on top of the Weston, and
91.1 is on the Tech campus.

Now, Radio-Locator shows that 94.1 has a CP for the Old Flat Shoals Road location, but the mileage shows that the CP should be at the New Street location. (I think someone said they had already moved.)

Where did they go (or are going)? Thanx.

No, Star's new site is the candelabra on Chester Street, right off I-20 just east of downtown.

They are moving for business and not technical reasons. Entercom has a relationship with American Tower, owner of the Chester Street candelabra. I believe Public Broadcasting of Atlanta owns the New Street site.

As far as Bishop Street, that's still 94.1's backup site as far as I know. I took a tour of Star's New Street main site several years ago, and Star was using two transmitters, each supplying half the power. CE Scott Trask said that when something goes wrong with one of the transmitters, the other can continue on without anyone noticing a difference except at the fringes of the coverage area. Scott said the Bishop Street site is rarely used for this reason.

Of the three candelabras in the Shepherds Lane area, are the radio stations all on the American Tower tower there (next to the Channel 36 tower)? Is anyone on the Channel 5 tower or the Channel 36 tower?

Nobody is on the Fox5 tower----maybe some two way stuff. But no full power broadcasters---well---except for WAGA

Of the three candelabras in the Shepherds Lane area, are the radio stations all on the American Tower tower there (next to the Channel 36 tower)? Is anyone on the Channel 5 tower or the Channel 36 tower?

All of the FM and digital TV antennas are now on the newer tower. The last 2 stations to move from the original tower were 94.9 and 96.1. I think there may be some aux antennas on the original tower (which I suppose is what you're calling the Channel 36 tower). I don't think there is any station except WAGA on the Channel 5 tower. Of course, WSB-TV (DT) and WXIA still have their own towers.

I think the site is owned by Richland and not American Tower.

American Tower bought Richland out a while ago. So we have the CHester Ave American Tower and Briarcliff American tower sites now.

American Tower bought Richland out a while ago. So we have the CHester Ave American Tower and Briarcliff American tower sites now.

That's interesting because when the Chester Ave tower first went up, it carried the antenna for WUPA (Channel 69). According to a former WUPA CE, CBS wanted to be on a Richland and not American Tower tower, which prompted WUPA's move to the Briarcliff site, where the on-air signal is not quite as good (according to the CE).

True. WUPA Went thru all of that 6 months to a year before American Tower bought out Richland. Supposedly, the WUPA signal has some sort of "bounce' off the downtown skyline, which produces multipath (errors in DTV) back to the Northeast. Hard to say what WUPA plans to do with the repack....along with several other TV signals on that tower. Lots of FMs will be working from Aux sites for an extended period of time whenever that work starts.

Up in North Cobb, WUPA is about the same as it was from the Chester Ave site.

I have always found WUPA to be one of the best signals on DTV here in Atlanta. WXIA has been the most difficult. Doesn't seem to go out as far as the other full power stations in Atlanta.

I have always found WUPA to be one of the best signals on DTV here in Atlanta. WXIA has been the most difficult. Doesn't seem to go out as far as the other full power stations in Atlanta.

WXIA is one of two stations still on VHF (the other is WGTV). WSB and WAGA moved to UHF RF channels with the DTV conversion. WXIA is on RF channel 10, and WGTV is still on RF channel 8.

VHF doesn't work well with DTV, and most DTV antennas are tuned to the UHF frequencies. This has resulted in the wholesale abandonment of the low VHF band (RF channels 2-6), which is especially bad for DTV. This is one reason why the Channel 6 87.7 Franken-FMs have proliferated.

WXIA and WGTV are the worst DTV stations for me as well.

At one time, Star 94 had THREE transmitter sites. They assured them redundancy. The transmitter configuration with two amplifier chains is called parallel redundancy and has been around since the late 60's.
They are fed from a common exciter and the outputs are combined before going into a common antenna.
And most stations had a backup exciter that would automatically switch in. Often it was mono and engineers could tell in the field if they were on the backup exciter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just got this from the CE at iHeart. The original tower at the Richland site contains the backup antennas for 101.5, 106.7 and Channel 46. It also carries the antenna for the 92.3 translator.

Just got this from the CE at iHeart. The original tower at the Richland site contains the backup antennas for 101.5, 106.7 and Channel 46. It also carries the antenna for the 92.3 translator.

I wonder if that Channel 46 backup was at one time their original transmitter when 46 was located there and that candelabra was the only one there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom