• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1700 am

Drove by the transmitter site today on FM 121 between Van Alstyne and Gunter and noticed the antenna was gone. I guess the transmitter building will be gone in short order.

Kinda sad to see it go. In the days before the FM signal for KTCK, 1700 was a godsend for those of us up here in Big Sky Country.

Are you talking about KKLF?

But how does the antenna just disappear? The license is still active.

That's just strange. I assume then that KKLF is completely off the air. Last I heard a year or two ago it was Tejano music, but either thieves took the tower, or the licensee (Claro Communications) decided to close it up without turning in the license.

That's just strange. I assume then that KKLF is completely off the air. Last I heard a year or two ago it was Tejano music, but either thieves took the tower, or the licensee (Claro Communications) decided to close it up without turning in the license.

Most likely a sale and a flip coming up. I haven't tuned 1700 since KVNS went sports, but I remember KKLF produced a fair amount of interference.

1700 is on. I heard them at 11:40 today from Northwest Dallas.

The signal seems considerably steonger than in the past. Still Tejano.

That is the Daytime site they are no longer using. KKLF has been using the Night site at reduced power in Collin County for a couple of years now. Texoma loses another AM station as the former KDSX makes its final move out of the area. The area only has 2 AM stations left, KJIM and KFYN in Bonham. You can add KGAF and KSEO if you count Gainesville and Durant.

Last edited:
I wonder if the DG horse ranch bought the property the transmitter and tower were on. The trees have been trimmed next to FM 121 and the rest cleaned up. Could a new owner cancel the lease? This is the site roughly four miles west of Van Alstyne on FM 121.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom