• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bridgewater Raritan Manville

vb2285

Inactive
Inactive User
How come when I drive through Bridgewater, Manville, Raritan area I start to lose NYC signals? Isn't that area close to Newark and NYC? It's funny because I get NYC signals just after I get to Brick then I lose them going south.

I would check Radiolocator and get an idea of the range of the NYC stations that you are losing. One possibility is that that Philadelphia stations on adjacent frequencies are moving in at that point. The terrain may have something to do with losing signals.

Manville and Raritan are down in a valley so it may be a problem with terrain in that area. I used to work in Bridgewater and I don't recall having any problems getting the NYC stations.

I'm pretty certain you're mentioning FM signals, vb, correct?

If you mean AM signals, though, you're getting the effect of many directional towers in the Meadowlands sending their signals in a different direction from you. WMCA, WPAT, 970, 1380, 1430, 1480, WWRL, WEPN, etc, all located their multiple towers decades ago in or near somewhat inexpensive real estate that used to be called The Secaucus Pig Farms.
That locale got slightly, uh, re-imaged as The Meadowlands.
However you refer to the region, most of the AMers send their signals essentially SE, through Manhattan and into Brooklyn and Queens.

A lot of it also depends on receiving equipment. If we're talking car radio (which apparently we are), reception is a function of the antenna. Crappy antenna equals crappy reception.

Brick is along the coast...very different situation.

The Watchung Mountains in the Berkeley Heights, New Providence, Watchung area are definitely a factor in diminishing the signals coming from NY, in the Bridgewater area. I found Philadelphia stations came in clearer in that area, especially WMMR, due to no real high terrain in between. I remember seeing on either the DX and Reception Boards or the New Jersey boards that a certain road in Bridgewater, WBEN from Philly's hash drowns out NYC's PLJ going down one of the hills.

As for Brick, NJ. It's only 10 miles farther from NYC than Bridgewater, but there's low sea level in between.

Last edited:
The Watchung Mountains in the Berkeley Heights, New Providence, Watchung area are definitely a factor in diminishing the signals coming from NY, in the Bridgewater area. I found Philadelphia stations came in clearer in that area, especially WMMR, due to no real high terrain in between. I remember seeing on either the DX and Reception Boards or the New Jersey boards that a certain road in Bridgewater, WBEN from Philly's hash drowns out NYC's PLJ going down one of the hills.

As for Brick, NJ. It's only 10 miles farther from NYC than Bridgewater, but there's low sea level in between.

That makes sense now. Although I drove through Berkley Heights and New Providence and never had a problem with NYC FM signals. I do notice however the strongest of the NYC signals in Bridgewater Raritan Manville area is 92.3 and 94.7. I think you can even get 94.5 PST

That makes sense now. Although I drove through Berkley Heights and New Providence and never had a problem with NYC FM signals. I do notice however the strongest of the NYC signals in Bridgewater Raritan Manville area is 92.3 and 94.7. I think you can even get 94.5 PST

94.7 broadcasts from West Orange (NJ), not NYC, so that is geographically much closer to Bridgewater than the stations from NYC.

Similarly there's a road in Holmdel (next to a cemetary no less) where the Philadelphias on 100.3 and 101.1 take over from Z100 and CBS-FM...then you get back on Route 34 or Line Road and it's all New York again.

Similarly there's a road in Holmdel (next to a cemetary no less) where the Philadelphias on 100.3 and 101.1 take over from Z100 and CBS-FM...then you get back on Route 34 or Line Road and it's all New York again.

Lol the ghosts must be impartial to Philadelphia or R&B and A/C music

Wow! I wonder if you can pull in WJBR 99.5 from Wilmington in that area as well. I was staying in Trevose, PA a few months ago. I was on the 5th floor of Crowne Plaza, facing northeast. I was able to null out WRNB and get Z100, even get a glimpse of WCBS on 101.1 and that was only 14 miles from the Philadelphia transmitters!

Wow! I wonder if you can pull in WJBR 99.5 from Wilmington in that area as well.
WJBR always had a pretty awesome signal, especially north. I was always surprised they didn't go after more Philadelphia area business.

I know WRFF comes in a lot stronger than it's NY neighbor (WAXQ) in that area, as I have a better time picking it up when I drive to my mom's house. The intersection of 287 and 22 is notoriously bad for NY radio signals and has been for as long as I can remember. I'm pretty sure the Watchung mountains do not help.

Does anyone think things will improve for FM Stations that move to 1WTC?

I think WPAT-FM will be slightly better. They're running reduced power at Empire...so, between the additional height and being able to use their fully licensed power, some slight improvement is likely.
I believe the other commercial FMs currently plan to remain at Empire.

WNYC was rumored to move as they are also on reduced power at Empire. WKTU was also on 1WTC due to spacing issues they have at Empire.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom