• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A trip to North Dakota (Preditions)

Hello, I'm Schlep82. I am going to talk to You about My vacation. My vacation will be in Bismarck, North Dakota the capital of North Dakota.
I have never been into North Dakota in My life. I have gone to multiple vacations to Florida before with some of them DXing.
Back to the North Dakota vacation trip... I am expecting to DX some of the AM radio stations I've heard about.
I'll be expecting 1520 KOKC Oklahoma City, OK, 1500 KSTP Minneapolis, MN, 1160 KSL Salt Lake City, UT, 1090 KAAY Little Rock, AR and other radio stations I may want to hear.
I've heard 1090 KAAY Little Rock, AR in Santa Claus, IN. and 1520 KOKC Oklahoma City, OK in Cincinnati (I think?)
I have used a website that displays all of the Day and Night coverage maps and to predict all of the AM radio stations.
Here's the website if You want to see : http://www.nf8m.com/patternmaps.html
This website can help if You want help with Nighttime coverage.
This discussion will be about what kind of radio stations will be coming in in North Dakota to help Me (US Clear Channels, Mexico, Canada, and Cuban stations).
Anyways, Happy travels!

Note : This is a prediction of the AM radio stations of it's coverage to Bismarck, North Dakota. I will be in My vacation in July 7 - 20th. After the vacation, There will be an aftermath post of those radio stations.

Thanks radioman148! I am looking forward for this trip for the AM radio stations. Hopefully, I can discover new stations, and hear the same radio stations such as My homestation 700 WLW with an interference with Bismarck's 710.
I know that WCKY is handling a special nighttime coverage map, I may not receive 1530 WCKY unfortunately.

First of all, have a safe and enjoyable trip. And as radioman said, let us know what you hear. As the regulars are aware, I traveled in my work for more than three decades. During the course of that, I experienced 49 states, most of Canada, and eight countries. North Dakota used to be a fairly regular stop for me, and I can tell you that it's one of the friendliest place in the country.

You are correct in the stations you can expect to hear there. KAAY will probably be the weakest due to the possibility of transmitter site issues, but it still should be a fairly easy catch. WCKY should also do-able right after sunset. They don't shift to their night pattern until sunset in Sacramento, California. Just off the top of my head, other easy targets should include, WBAP (820), WCCO (830), KOA (850), CBW (990...night and possibly day), WHO 1040, and KFAB (1110), as well as the Chicago non-directional "blowtorches" on 670, 720, 780, and 890 (but not WMVP 1000, which is directional to protect KOMO in Seattle).

Happy hunting!

I've gotten all kinds of radio stations I've predicted. Except for 1520 KOKC, And 1090 KAAY. Those two radio stations is mixed and I predict those two radio stations are in the mix.

@ Schlep 82 :

There had been discussion here -- I know because I asked the question -- about what spot in the Contagious 48 states would be the ripest spot from which to hear AM stations from all 50 states.

A resolute caveat for discussion shifting matters away from, say, the obvious 'Nebraska' or 'Kansas' was because there are a number of East Coast states without 50,000 watt signals. Maine, NH, VT and DE come to mind.

The theoretic 'Hot Spot' from which to DX all 50 states on AM shifted to around Northern Michigan after a while -- the Upper Peninsula.

Anyway, North Dakota certainly is situated close enough for you to have a bash at about 40 states.

What kind of radio and antenna will you be using?

Do you plan on 'taping' any or all of this?

Thanks for the coverage-map page. That's a new one for me!
(I have some trouble scrolling the entire page. Perhaps someone here has a tip).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom