• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Out of market stations in the ratings?

Tomgsinger

Frequent Participant
Have stations from other markets (Worcester, Manchester, Providence, Portsmouth, etc.) appeared in the Boston market ratings before? Only asking because I saw that WCIB used to be in the Providence ratings, and was wondering if the Boston market ever saw similar scenarios/situations, aside from WXLO, WAAF and WCTK. Does anyone have data on listenership from out of market stations from the present day (2015-now, let's say)? I have been searching for this information for a while, by the way.

before they stopped reporting non subscribing stations, WFNQ out of Nashua NH would show up, they have coverage down to Woburn and along 495 so PPM's would record any listeners in those areas

before they stopped reporting non subscribing stations, WFNQ out of Nashua NH would show up, they have coverage down to Woburn and along 495 so PPM's would record any listeners in those areas

Or Boston market PPM panelists would register listening to those out of market stations when they traveled out of the market borders.

My favorite was a 1979 showing of a San Juan, PR, station in the New York City book.

Since many markets surrounding the 48 PPM markets are dairy markets and stations would not be encoded, I went back to the last book for Chicago in the diary. 108 stations showed up with numbers in the last book under the "old" methodology.

Same analysis for New York City showed 160 stations.

Maybe it was skip or tropo ducting !

Neither. It was due to the Christmas season travel of New York Puerto Ricans to San Juan (where Christmas festivities last from early December to about the 10th of January) writing WZNT in their diary at a time that WZNT had a 33.5 share in the local ratings in what, then, was a 30-station market.

Good point on the traveling listener, I had not considered that possibility .

Where we see a lot of that is in adjacent PPM markets, such as San Diego, LA and the Inland Empire. All stations are encoded, and loads of out of market stations show in each book.

Where we see a lot of that is in adjacent PPM markets, such as San Diego, LA and the Inland Empire. All stations are encoded, and loads of out of market stations show in each book.

...which is exactly why I want the old methodology to be back.

Several Providence and Manchester stations would consistently show up in the Boston ratings, and most of the Boston stations would do the same in the Providence and Manchester ratings. When Boston had no country station, WCTK Providence and WOKQ Portsmouth would have a decent share of listeners.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom