• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

98.3 LPFM for Rent on Craigslist

DavidEduardo

Moderator/Administrator
Staff member
https://houston.craigslist.org/bfs/6203809524.html

FM Radio Station available x rent (Sugar Land)

FM Radio Station available for rent; or air time available; signal reach Houston, Katy, Richmond, Rosenberg, Sugar Land; the entire Fort Bend County. Call for more information at (show contact info)
Radio Positiva 98.3 FM. On line: radiopositiva.us TUNEIN (radio positiva 98.3 FM. You can broadcast in English, Spanish or any other.

Someone should ask "how much". And maybe ask if they know that it can't be rented for commercial purposes... besides getting an understanding of how a 15 watt LPFM with no 60 dbu anywhere in Harris County can "reach Houston".

Last edited:
I have a part 15 FM transmitter. Maybe I should go on Craigslist as well. The only way my transmitter could reach Houston is if I drove it over there.

I didn't think you could "broker" an LPFM legally, especially the full broadcast day. Even if you can, explaining tp your lessee about how non-comm LPFM works seems like it would be tons of fun.

From my understanding, in the most literal interpretation, a LPFM cannot 'sell' time. Granted, a LPFM can set a price based on actual expenses incurred for the time. The fine print can say 'a minimum donation of...'. That minimum donation does not have to be actual expenses but any amount the station chooses. In any event, the LPFM must adhere to all the requirements of FCC Rules.

In fact, recently a LPFM in another state had an offer from a person to 'buy' time for high school sports this fall. The LPFM operator told the potential client they could not sell time to a client that ran their own 'sponsors'. His broadcast attorney told him FCC Rules stated a station cannot sublet any portion of the broadcast day. Instead the operator offered the potential client a percentage of money collected from station sponsors wanting to be a part of any high school sports broadcast in order to offset the person's expenses but the station was forbidden to air sponsorships of a client on such a station although a sponsor of the station could be acknowledged on the air. I know that sounds a bit confusing. More simplified, if the station sells a sponsor, it is okay but if a time buyer on the station sells a sponsor on his show, it cannot air on the LPFM.

On the surface, this appears it may be a violation to 'sell time' or 'lease' an LPFM. Keep in mind, no matter the 'pitch' by the LPFM, the FCC only cares that the rules are followed on the air. In other words, how they frame the pitch does not matter but the execution on the air does.

Personally, if I were the licensee, such an ad would be something I would not consider, feeling it welcomes scrutiny from those, including the FCC, that know the rules.

I'm about 20 miles from the KIRP transmitter and can get a weak signal. The station is fairly solid on my car radio along Highway 6 between I-10 and I-69. KULM in Columbus doesn't seem to be a problem. But yes, they are greatly exaggerating their coverage area, and there is another translator launching on 98.3 that will severely cut into their coverage, not to mention first adjacent KTJM.

I think KEOR "sells" blocks of time for their LPFM religious operation, but it seems to be on the level from what I've gathered on their website.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom