• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KPHX no more

No carrier at 1480, and their (minimal) web site says they quit broadcasting progressive talk. Anyone in the know?

First KCKY-AM goes silent and now KPHX 1480 AM? AM stations are dropping like flies! The KPHX website has nothing, just a ticker tape with that message that they are no longer broadcasting Progressive Talk in Phoenix. Not only that, they are currently broadcasting nothing at all.

Maybe KPHX will come back with their “Lounge Sound” format. I always liked that music and it was very unique to the Phoenix area.

A sure sign of the Apocalypse if Kah Pay Ahchay Eckees turns it in. YIKES!

One tweet from a former host suggests a format flip is in the works, potentially to Spanish.

I have to imagine that when the sports programs disappeared in February (as CBS SR went to KQFN), the station lost a good bit of ad revenue, and it didn't get the expected Trump bump.

Since the owner is José Molina, going to Spanish language is definitely not a wild guess. José was partner with Teddy Fregoso in XEPRS-1090's Spanish language years. He's definitely comfortable with the language.

The real issue is trying to figure out what can be put on a Spanish language AM that will be of any possible interest to today's Spanish dominant listeners who have more than a half-dozen FM choices in Phoenix.

How has KFYI done with Trump in the White House, compared to Obama?

In pure 12+ numbers, KFYI is up just a tiny bit in a three month average of the first quarter of this year. It went down each quarter, starting in Fall of 2015, going from a 5.7 to a 5.0 to a 4.0 to a 3.3 to a 2.8 to a 2.5 and then up in Q1 of this year. They are flat in April and May when you average the two.

On low rated stations, I don't trust single surveys (months) and like to look at a minimum of 3 months of data).

The real problem is that the station is ranked below #20 in 25-54.

Another progressive talk station goes under? I guess if one (KPTK 1090, now CBS Sports) couldn't survive in ultra-liberal Seattle, it would be questionable in more moderately political Phoenix (I'm guessing Phoenix is more moderate politically than Seattle is).

The real issue is trying to figure out what can be put on a Spanish language AM that will be of any possible interest to today's Spanish dominant listeners who have more than a half-dozen FM choices in Phoenix.

Caution: Some objects may be closer than they appear.

Allow us to translate (we speak Old Gringo): The real issue is trying to figure out what can be put on any AM that will be of any possible interest to today's listeners who have more than four dozen FM choices in Phoenix.

Last edited:
Another progressive talk station goes under? I guess if one (KPTK 1090, now CBS Sports) couldn't survive in ultra-liberal Seattle, it would be questionable in more moderately political Phoenix (I'm guessing Phoenix is more moderate politically than Seattle is).

Maricopa County (the county Phoenix is in) did go red by 3 points in 2016. Trump also won Pinal County by nearly 20 points. Also, progressive talk failed recently in ultra-liberal Madison, Wisconsin but is still hanging on in Chicago.

Since the owner is José Molina, going to Spanish language is definitely not a wild guess. José was partner with Teddy Fregoso in XEPRS-1090's Spanish language years. He's definitely comfortable with the language.

Just ask Pedro Marques at KSUN. Does he still have the night club revenue propping up the radio station? For years, he had the Spanish-language broadcast rights to Suns and Diamondbacks games, now the D-Backs en español are on a rimshot FM.

Last edited:
Maricopa County (the county Phoenix is in) did go red by 3 points in 2016. Trump also won Pinal County by nearly 20 points. Also, progressive talk failed recently in ultra-liberal Madison, Wisconsin but is still hanging on in Chicago.

Meanwhile, KFYI is in what, 20th place 25-54?

This is not an issue of left versus right. It's just that political talk is over in any demo that makes decent money and Ancient Modulation is over in any demo that makes decent money.

Sports radio, which is never all about sports, is what captures the attention of men 25-54. But after all of the sports parking lots are full, it's pretty slim pickings.

I think that Clancy had it right when he put KGME on 550. Today, KGME is always going to be second tier up against a full market FM, but I'd wager it's currently outbilling 550... and 98.7 outbills them both.

There was a time when I would have bought into a small AM radio station. Now, I just don't see the future in Ancient Modulation, unless it's a means to get a toehold into a 250 watt FM translator.

Sports radio, which is never all about sports, is what captures the attention of men 25-54. But after all of the sports parking lots are full, it's pretty slim pickings.

I think that Clancy had it right when he put KGME on 550. Today, KGME is always going to be second tier up against a full market FM, but I'd wager it's currently outbilling 550... and 98.7 outbills them both.

I don't know how KGME is billing, but they've cut their first-string local talent and won't have the Westwood One NFL broadcasts this fall. Outside of Dan Patrick and Colin Cowherd, they have no reason to exist. As far as KDUS, they're staying afloat because they kept the Chuck Artigue model of running a tight ship while most of their local shows are brokered.

As far as KDUS, they're staying afloat because they kept the Chuck Artigue model of running a tight ship while most of their local shows are brokered.

This is also how Salem keeps its lights on. Brokered programming is quite profitable. Barter programming with PSAs filling the local avails is not.

Who knows, maybe the future of 1480 is being the Valley's #1 Desi Hit Music Station...

I don't know how KGME is billing, but they've cut their first-string local talent and won't have the Westwood One NFL broadcasts this fall. Outside of Dan Patrick, they have no reason to exist.

Fixed. If Cowherd is any station's reason to exist, it has no reason to exist. :D

As far as KDUS, they're staying afloat because they kept the Chuck Artigue model of running a tight ship while most of their local shows are brokered.

They have local shows middays, but outside of Bob Kemp, they have little reason to exist, either.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom