Changes at CBS Radio-Entercom San Diego
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Changes at CBS Radio-Entercom San Diego

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    247

    Changes at CBS Radio-Entercom San Diego

    CBS Radio has laid off Jeff and The Showgram after six years at KYXY and is currently running jockless in the morning. I've been hearing rumors that A. J. Machado from Energy 103.7 may move over to KYXY as their new morning host. If that's the case, Entercom will likely flip Energy 103.7 to a new format due to its lackluster ratings once they close their merger with CBS Radio. In the May ratings book, Energy 103.7 had a 2.4 share, while Z90.3 and Channel 93.3 had a 4.2 and 4.8 share, respectively. Therefore, Energy 103.7 would be one the first CBS Radio stations to be blown up under the Entercom ownership.

    Entercom will also move their studios from their current Mission Valley location to Kearny Mesa, and sell the CBS Radio building on Linda Vista Road. Interestingly, Entercom's new studios location happens to be right across the street from iHeartMedia's San Diego studios.

    The 92.1 signal that simulcasts 97.3 KSON will still be divested as planned, although it's unsure on who will acquire 92.1.
    Last edited by miketheradioguy; 07-03-2017 at 11:40 PM.

  2. #2

    What a coincidence!

    Quote Originally Posted by miketheradioguy View Post
    CBS Radio has laid off Jeff and The Showgram after six years at KYXY and is currently running jockless in the morning. I've been hearing rumors that A. J. Machado from Energy 103.7 may move over to KYXY as their new morning host. If that's the case, Entercom will likely flip Energy 103.7 to a new format due to its lackluster ratings once they close their merger with CBS Radio. In the May ratings book, Energy 103.7 had a 2.4 share, while Z90.3 and Channel 93.3 had a 4.2 and 4.8 share, respectively. Therefore, Energy 103.7 would be one the first CBS Radio stations to be blown up under the Entercom ownership.

    Entercom will also move their studios from their current Mission Valley location to Kearny Mesa, and sell the CBS Radio building on Linda Vista Road. Interestingly, Entercom's new studios location happens to be right across the street from iHeartMedia's San Diego studios.

    The 92.1 signal that simulcasts 97.3 KSON will still be divested as planned, although it's unsure on who will acquire 92.1.
    Gee! This sounds an awful lot like one of the articles I read about this on Sunday. It has amazing similarities! See for your self. https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/...ram-gone-kyxy/

  3. #3

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by voice of reason View Post
    Gee! This sounds an awful lot like one of the articles I read about this on Sunday. It has amazing similarities! See for your self. https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/...ram-gone-kyxy/
    Another change that should happen would be Christmas music moving over from KYXY to Sunny 98.1 starting next holiday season, which would allow KYXY to move into a Hot AC direction.

  5. #5
    As of July 31, 2017, KXSN has dropped AC for Classic Hits from the '70s, '80s, and '90s.

  6. #6
    Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    34,974
    Quote Originally Posted by only1moore View Post
    As of July 31, 2017, KXSN has dropped AC for Classic Hits from the '70s, '80s, and '90s.
    This sounds like excellent pre-merger strategy so that they don't end up with two very similar players with lots of shared cume.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by only1moore View Post
    As of July 31, 2017, KXSN has dropped AC for Classic Hits from the '70s, '80s, and '90s.
    I wonder what will happen to KEGY Energy 103.7 when the merger closes. I'm still predicting that it will flip formats when the merger closes.

  8. #8
    I'll admit this one surprised me. However, when I listened via TuneIn on the way home from work (about 10 mins), I couldn't tell there had been much of a format change. I don't think I heard a single song the original Sunny didn't play.

    As for KEGY, I suspect this change probably makes a format change there less likely. If anything, I suspect it will be a minor tweak.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    I'll admit this one surprised me. However, when I listened via TuneIn on the way home from work (about 10 mins), I couldn't tell there had been much of a format change. I don't think I heard a single song the original Sunny didn't play.

    As for KEGY, I suspect this change probably makes a format change there less likely. If anything, I suspect it will be a minor tweak.

    Shifting Sunny 98.1 from AC to Classic Hits was a smart move Entercom has done, because it allowed them to provide a Classic Hits station on the American side of the San Diego market as well as eliminating the musical overlap of soon-to-be-sister station KYXY. My biggest concern is who will buy KSOQ 92.1 and how its coverage will be augmented under the new owners.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by miketheradioguy View Post
    Shifting Sunny 98.1 from AC to Classic Hits was a smart move Entercom has done, because it allowed them to provide a Classic Hits station on the American side of the San Diego market as well as eliminating the musical overlap of soon-to-be-sister station KYXY.
    While I don't know the demo-specific numbers, Sunny was the top station in the market. That marks twice that Entercom has flipped 98.1 when it was at the top of the ratings. Whether or not it's a smart move is something we'll learn with time. Certainly, Entercom does nothing haphazardly, but there are far more stories of top rated stations changing formats and ending in disaster than there are of them ending in success. That's probably why it sounds a lot like it did as the market's leading AC. It may have dropped the currents, but Sunny didn't seem to play a lot them in the first place.

    My biggest concern is who will buy KSOQ 92.1 and how its coverage will be augmented under the new owners.
    I wouldn't be concerned with that much at all. I doubt 92.1 will be much of player in the market, and, short of getting a translator or simulcasting another station in the market, its coverage won't likely be augmented. It would need Mexican concurrence to do that, and I don't see that happening with a 91.7 and a 92.5 on the other side of the border. There's no real way that signal can ever be more than a bit player in San Diego.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us