• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOGL's Top 1000 of the 70s & 80s.

What do you think audience reaction would be if they did this with #1's from like 1980 through 1995?

"Many" still love it? Relative to the target audience, I doubt it meets any reasonable definition of "many."

Many meaning fans of Debby Boone, fans of 70's music, or anyone that likes similar music. Not the majority by any stretch of the imagination, but enough. Go to You Tube and bring up the song and see the ratio to likes and dislikes. This one has a proportion of 6000 positives to just 198 dislikes. Now, I realize this isn't radio airplay, but it goes to show that "many" still enjoy the song.....and "many" of the comments do verify. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC9sEAqEjxs

Don't expect to hear it again.

On WOGL, anything is game. I expect to hear it Labor Day Weekend 2018. But personally, I don't need to wait 365 days to hear any song, I can just fire it up.

No guarantee they'll do this feature again next year. Or if they do, that they'll play the exact same songs.

The station seems to be transitioning to the classic-hits model prevalent in other major markets that still have stations in the format -- '80s-centered, with a few late '70s titles and beginning to introduce the '90s. Apparently, Philadelphia has been a lot friendlier to older music while this sea change has been taking place elsewhere, but change appears inevitable now. I can't imagine this feature returning in current form in 2018 -- it would have no audience other than chart geeks and geezers, none of whom advertisers want to reach. Even a listening graveyard like Labor Day weekend needs to be sold, right?

The station seems to be transitioning to the classic-hits model prevalent in other major markets that still have stations in the format -- '80s-centered, with a few late '70s titles and beginning to introduce the '90s. Apparently, Philadelphia has been a lot friendlier to older music while this sea change has been taking place elsewhere, but change appears inevitable now. I can't imagine this feature returning in current form in 2018 -- it would have no audience other than chart geeks and geezers, none of whom advertisers want to reach. Even a listening graveyard like Labor Day weekend needs to be sold, right?

Yes, they started to change the "median age" of the library towards more recent music around the time of the change in program director in late May. They have now had solid, up-trending books for the last several months, which should encourage them to continue to prune the ancient music. The increases in 25-54 are even more dramatic, and that is what drives a music station today.

Many meaning fans of Debby Boone, fans of 70's music, or anyone that likes similar music. Not the majority by any stretch of the imagination, but enough. Go to You Tube and bring up the song and see the ratio to likes and dislikes. This one has a proportion of 6000 positives to just 198 dislikes. Now, I realize this isn't radio airplay, but it goes to show that "many" still enjoy the song.....and "many" of the comments do verify. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC9sEAqEjxs

I wouldn't judge the song's feasibility for airplay by YouTube. How many people who want nothing to do with it have bothered looking it up, or clicking a suggested link, just to play what they dislike? Moreover, it's not the same experience and set of expectations.

I don't deny fans exist by any stretch. But in this case, the haters win the day.

Many meaning fans of Debby Boone

Both of them?

...fans of 70's music

Meaning, mostly, people in their late 50's and 60's now.

or anyone that likes similar music.

You mean songs that have not endured the proverbial "test of time"? Most of yesterday's hits are today's stiffs.

Not the majority by any stretch of the imagination, but enough.

Enough for what? Not, definitely, enough to help a radio station.

Go to You Tube and bring up the song and see the ratio to likes and dislikes. This one has a proportion of 6000 positives to just 198 dislikes. Now, I realize this isn't radio airplay, but it goes to show that "many" still enjoy the song.....and "many" of the comments do verify

Just WOGL has a cume of 1.25 million persons. And you compare that to the 6000 likes for the song on YouTube? Start with the fact that most people who search for that song on YouTube, as bizarre as it sounds, like it. Who is going to search it out to dislike it? Not many.

The song has 1.8 million YouTube views. That, in itself, is tiny when you look at the billions of views that Despacito has.

My mother loves YLUML, when Debby's version was new (I was in 11th grade at the time) and since. In fact she had the church organist play YLUML before her wedding to my stepdad in 1980.* She finds it inspirational, and so do I, even if to me it's a little sappy. I've never heard any version other than Ms. Boone's (and that organist's).

*This is in retrospect, 37 years later (and 2 years afer my stepfather's death), but I would've preferred "Crazy Little Thing Called Love". :)

ixnay

Enough for what? Not, definitely, enough to help a radio station.

Won't hurt them either...WOGL last three books are 7.2, 7.5 and 7.4, first place, three sessions in a row. They can get away with it. You can play a so-called mediocre song and have week long holiday specials and they continue to do very, very well. And that's since two other week long specials at Memorial Weekend and the 4th of July. And their listeners don't mind at all.

Last edited:
Won't hurt them either...WOGL last three books are 7.2, 7.5 and 7.4, first place, three sessions in a row. They can get away with it. You can play a so-called mediocre song and have week long holiday specials and they continue to do very, very well. And that's since two other week long specials at Memorial Weekend and the 4th of July. And their listeners don't mind at all.

It' really likely that the new PD and their gradual cutting of 60's and earlier 70's music will also result in killing those specialty shows as they refocus the station on 25-54.

Music Choice has neither advertising nor ratings to worry about, so its playlist is likely to contain just about anything. That's not the worst song it plays by any means.

Year in and year out, their Christmas library is an absolute abomination. I mean, I want to hear more than just the couple hundred songs that get played on the radio but they play so many songs and artists that no one's even heard of, let alone wants to hear. If I never hear a Ferrante & Teicher song again, I'll be just fine with that. LOL

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom