• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOGL's Top 1000 of the 70s & 80s.

I have been listening to this countdown and I really enjoy the amount of 80s music that is being played on this countdown. I know in another post about the station revamping these countdown's. Well, they certainly did, there is no 60s or 90s songs in this countdown. Do you think WOGL is going to tighten their playlist and not play any 60s or 90s music and becoming Philly's Greatest Hits of the 70s and 80s? I remember they did this in 2004 and were called Greatest Hits of the 60s and 70s. Then in 2008, they were changed to Greatest Hits of the 60s, 70s and 80s. I hope they do not cut out all of the 90s songs, because I do like 90s music too. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this?

Has anyone posted a pdf of the 1000 songs they now air? I want to scan the list and see if I want to return as a listener.

I do not see a PDF file for this Fakeem. They used to add these to their websites. I do hope they post this as well. If not, you can view the songs by going to the website and clicking on the playlist. I would prefer to see this on a PDF as well though.

Interesting that all three 1989 Milli Vanilli songs aired in this. Good countdown.

I agree. it was a very good countdown. I believe Milli Vanilli had one more song that was a top 5 All or Nothing, but was not a fan of that one lol. It is def a lost hit. I would like to see them expand their playlist and play some of these songs during the week as well and not just on countdowns.

I agree. it was a very good countdown. I believe Milli Vanilli had one more song that was a top 5 All or Nothing, but was not a fan of that one lol. It is def a lost hit. I would like to see them expand their playlist and play some of these songs during the week as well and not just on countdowns.

Lost hits are often lost for a reason.

But that aside, if the audience tells you they don't particularly want to hear certain songs on a regular basis, why would you play them?

Lost hits are often lost for a reason.

But that aside, if the audience tells you they don't particularly want to hear certain songs on a regular basis, why would you play them?

A lost hit feature during the regular lineup are songs not asked for by audiences, they are added features to create the "Oh Wow" impression for your audience. But I agree, that 4th Vanilli song can stay lost!

A lost hit feature during the regular lineup are songs not asked for by audiences, they are added features to create the "Oh Wow" impression for your audience. But I agree, that 4th Vanilli song can stay lost!

I'm an audience member and by and large I don't want "oh wow" moments because, by and large, they're often "oh yuck" moments. '80s on 8 on XM being a good example--one "lost hit" per hour, and easily 9 out of 10 times it's a change-the-station moment for me. I'm sure to some subset of people, each of those songs, to some degree, is a positive experience. But the threshold, certainly on broadcast, has to be a bit higher. You can't regularly throw things they very specifically don't want to hear at them and think it's going to go over well.

Well PD change or not, WOGL has begun airing all the number one songs this Labor Day Week, thru the holiday weekend. Looks like late 60's thru some 90's number one songs, in alpha order! Specialty programming lives on WOGL. Now here's the ultimate question.....Why they play "You Light Up My Life" from 1977, or skip it like they did last holiday weekend?

Already, early on, a couple differences vs. the July 4th countdown.

I have a question as I've checked in on the list. As they repeated A to Z the last week, there were different songs inserted that may not have been played the first time or second time etc.

Why is that?

I have a question as I've checked in on the list. As they repeated A to Z the last week, there were different songs inserted that may not have been played the first time or second time etc.

Why is that?

Interesting, not sure why they would do that, unless it's timing issues as they tend to finish at midnight on the dot, their time. Btw, the forbidden song did air the first time around, you know, the one that was #1 for 10 solid weeks in late 1977. Let's see if it airs tonight as they are currently in the W's.

Btw, the forbidden song did air the first time around, you know, the one that was #1 for 10 solid weeks in late 1977.

They might play it under the idea that listeners will say to themselves, "I can't believe I liked that song back then". The fact is that this is one of the poorest testing songs from that era. It's one of the ones for which listeners select the answer that means "I detest it. I'd change station or turn off the radio if I heard it today".

That song is the radio equivalent of a loud fart in church.

They might play it under the idea that listeners will say to themselves, "I can't believe I liked that song back then". The fact is that this is one of the poorest testing songs from that era. It's one of the ones for which listeners select the answer that means "I detest it. I'd change station or turn off the radio if I heard it today".

That song is the radio equivalent of a loud fart in church.

Well WOGL did play it again, just minutes ago. But David, it is a holiday night and if you are going to play a song that tests poorly, they chose the right time. Frankly to me, instead of saying I'll switch the station, I said...It was interesting to hear a song on the radio that is virtually unplayed and has been for decades. And you know, people who bought the 45 back then and heard it again tonight, 40 years later, might have said......."oh wow".

Yeah, many may detest it, but many still love it and it just played on a major market radio station and across the USA on the internet.

"Many" still love it? Relative to the target audience, I doubt it meets any reasonable definition of "many."

I'm confused. Are we still talking about "You Light Up My Life"? I don't really have a reaction one way or the other to that song. Well, not that I know of. I can barely bring the song to mind. Is it a universally-reviled record at this point?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom