• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tuscon KJZZ

Even the FAA can't spell. Tucson airport is designated TUS.

I've even seen it spelled Tuxson and Tuxcon.

The translator on 98.9 is still off the air. When it is on the air it has a signal that's very strong for a translator.
A few years ago the Arizona Daily Star did a whimsical editorial about what sort of place Tuscon must be.
One thing I've noticed is that when you call a customer service number they seem to go out of their way to hire agents who can barely speak English. Many pronounce it Took Sun and have no idea where it is. This includes airline reservation offices.

The translator on 98.9 is still off the air. When it is on the air it has a signal that's very strong for a translator.
A few years ago the Arizona Daily Star did a whimsical editorial about what sort of place Tuscon must be.
One thing I've noticed is that when you call a customer service number they seem to go out of their way to hire agents who can barely speak English. Many pronounce it Took Sun and have no idea where it is. This includes airline reservation offices.

I can see why they say two syllables. It's actually said that way by even TV newscasters in Spanish. Given that the origin of the name was the native name Chuk Shon, it could be said that the Spanish pronunciation is actually more faithful.

Even the FAA can't spell. Tucson airport is designated TUS.

It's not a typo. The Tucson airport code--when they were only two letters--was originally TZ. When codes were changed to three letters, Tucuman Argentina got TUC, and Tucson originally was assigned TUO. A few years later (some time in the '50s) it was changed to TUS.

Then there's the Tucson Airport Authority. They just love to refer to their airport as TIA (for Tucson Int'l Airport), and tend to keep TUS somewhat hidden in their press releases, et al. And the local media goes along with it. BTW, the code TIA is currently assigned--to Tirana Albania.

So it is TUS, but it's not "Tuscon."

It's not a typo. The Tucson airport code--when they were only two letters--was originally TZ. When codes were changed to three letters, Tucuman Argentina got TUC, and Tucson originally was assigned TUO. A few years later (some time in the '50s) it was changed to TUS.

That is very interesting. I lived there a long time, three different times, and never knew the background.

In case anyone else is wondering why Chicago is ORD it's because originally local location names were used as airport designators and not city names (in some cases). ORD stands for Orchard Field, the original name of the airport. During WWII it was named for "Butch" O'Hare, one of the hero pilots of the battle of Midway. So it became O'Hare International Airport but the designation ORD remained.

We are back on the air as of Monday, July 2. Bad connector at the antenna was repaired by our amazing rigger Jason Copenhagen!

You're slipping with your Phoenix upgrade, wattsup. Gates Air and not Nautel?

Not so quick EricStein! We are moving the Nautel over from the temporary site! The FAX 10 was just installed to tide us over. Follow social media for progress photos. Only got the electric hooked up the other day. Patience, grasshopper.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom