• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WISX- Mix 106.1 Stunting?

It sounds EXACTLY like Hot 96.9 Boston same v/o's and everything. Ramiro....Chio.....it's basically the same thing just a different market. Wait didn't we think all think Beasley would drop Ben for this format. Do I sense some lingering anger with iheart over the whole wired thing still. Any thoughts?

It sounds EXACTLY like Hot 96.9 Boston same v/o's and everything. Ramiro....Chio.....it's basically the same thing just a different market. Wait didn't we think all think Beasley would drop Ben for this format. Do I sense some lingering anger with iheart over the whole wired thing still. Any thoughts?

Did we all think that? I don't remember that happening. An individual or two I do remember putting it out there, sure.

As to lingering anger--who, exactly?

I think 96.5 and 101 would lay claim to the title. 106 had become pretty much--by virtue of adding the 80s back in and the entry of 96.5--one of three largely similar stations.

Even without that in play, though, 93.7 is a (virtual) non-entity outside Wilmington.

How is it virtually a nonentity when it's city grade (70 DbU) signal covers downtown, and it's protected signal covers all of Philly... and then some?

How is it virtually a nonentity when it's city grade (70 DbU) signal covers downtown, and it's protected signal covers all of Philly... and then some?

They don't target Philadelphia. You'd be hard pressed to find many people outside of maybe along the PA side of the PA/Delaware border who know of WSTW, or are suddenly going to start listening to them because WISX changed formats.

They don't know what else to do with that station......That format will be hot at the beginning but not for long.....they will have 100 throwback song on rotation and people will get tired of hearing the same songs after a few months. I heard they gross 6 million a year in sales so why keep changing formats?? every 2 to 3 years they change branding or change the music or target audience.

The format will need to evolve. The problem with the Hip Hop throwback format is the titles are limited, and Rhythmic titles need to be thrown in. The question is what titles work for the market. History has shown that formats like Jack, all 70's and 80's, Jammin oldies don't survive long with a limited playlist. Nash Icon is a good example of a format that had a limited playlist and now has expanded to some current titles that would fit with the Nash icon listener and playlist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nash Icon is a good example of a format that had a limited playlist and now has expanded to some current titles that would fit with the Nash icon listener and playlist.

Hmmm...the concept all along was to include new titles, because the format had a record label (also called Nash Icon) that released new music by legends. I've always felt this is a great idea for all classic formats, to include occasional new releases by their heritage artists.

You also mentioned Jack, and the concept included that the music was to be rotated and shuffled from time to time to prevent burn. That may be why the format has outlived some of the other examples you give. Jack is still very successful in LA, Dallas, and several other places.

The market is all these counties:

Bucks, PA
Chester, PA
Delaware, PA
Montgomery, PA
Philadelphia, PA
Burlington, NJ
Camden, NJ
Gloucester, NJ

WSTW only covers Delaware County with a full 65 dbu contour, Philadelphia, Montgomery and Chester have partial (practically none in Montgomery) coverage and Bucks gets no really usable signal. Overall, WSTW just barely puts a 65 dbu over 50% of the Philadelphia MSA population.

The market is all these counties:

Bucks, PA
Chester, PA
Delaware, PA
Montgomery, PA
Philadelphia, PA
Burlington, NJ
Camden, NJ
Gloucester, NJ

WSTW only covers Delaware County with a full 65 dbu contour, Philadelphia, Montgomery and Chester have partial (practically none in Montgomery) coverage and Bucks gets no really usable signal. Overall, WSTW just barely puts a 65 dbu over 50% of the Philadelphia MSA population.

I tried listening around the Bucks/Montco border, and it was not a good experience as a listener. Head any further north (generally speaking) from where I was and it only gets worse.

Just heard a 106.1 real promo on radio 1045, I guess if you want listeners you advertise on IHearts top dog in the market :)

Or across the full portfolio. :)

It's actually not a stupid move. With it a known fact that the average listener hears about 6 stations a week, why not keep it all in the family?

It's actually not a stupid move. With it a known fact that the average listener hears about 6 stations a week, why not keep it all in the family?

Totally agree. CBS has been seeming to do a good job giving today's 96.5 the same treatment. Smart.

I would fully expect Real 106 promos to be on all of the iHeart stations in town, not just 104.5.

Hmmm...the concept all along was to include new titles, because the format had a record label (also called Nash Icon) that released new music by legends. I've always felt this is a great idea for all classic formats, to include occasional new releases by their heritage artists.

You also mentioned Jack, and the concept included that the music was to be rotated and shuffled from time to time to prevent burn. That may be why the format has outlived some of the other examples you give. Jack is still very successful in LA, Dallas, and several other places.

True....Nash Icon signed many veteran acts such as Reba McEntire with new material, and the format added those titles. They also have incorporated artists that are relatively new (Kelsea Ballerini and Midland for example). Like any other format, there are markets that have success stories (like Jack), but many did drop the format because it wasn't working. New York and Mobile are two examples.

I have been so out of the loop! I had surgery a while back and the recovery has had me on my back a lot. I was in an uber the other day and the driver tuned to 106.1, liked what she heard, and added it as one of her pre-sets. I wondered if I'd just witnessed someone finding Mix 106.1 for the first time. As soon as the imaging came up, I said to her "Real 106.1?!" and she said, "I know, right?!"

I have been checking out the playlist because I agree this could be a quick-burn format. But so far, it seems like they are figuring out how to have a pretty decent library. There are, naturally, some quirks to be worked out. The Ed Sheeran song (while a very, very good song) really should be deleted. Also, according to the station's playlist online, "Freak Me" by Silk played this morning at 6:50, 7:18, and 7:34! "My Lovin (You're Never Gonna Get It" played at 6:46, 10:18, 10:43, and 1:18. (But wait, En Vogue lovers! There's more! "Hold On" played at 5:44, 8:54, 11:48, and 2:46.)

Trust me: I get how it works. But but playing "Freak Me" every 20 minutes is a pretty big glitch. And that's really quite a lot of En Vogue for one 8-hour period. Haha. Especially considering one of the songs played twice in the same hour!

Anyway, hopefully this works for them. I'm happy to get Ryan Seacrest and especially Mario Lopez off our airwaves. I really hope iHeart doesn't dump them on Q102.

Last edited:
I thought the signal was actually good in Philly proper.

South Philly and the airport vicinity, sure. Northeast Philly, near Somerton et al--I haven't found it to be particularly good. But in any event, as David points out, roughly half the population of the Philly market can't really receive it. It doesn't target Philly. Some people, particularly on the southern end of the market may well have it be one of their choices, a la PST in the Bucks/NE Philly portion of the market when it was on 97.5. But down in Delco and out to the west in King of Prussia etc., it was never really a factor.

Not knocking WSTW--but it's not a player in Philly.

Believe it or not, around 1978 I was hungry for a good top 40 FM signal in this market. WIFI just did not cut it with the spotty signal, compressed stereo separation and overall lousy playlist. When Rock 94, or should I say a week later Rock 93.7 came on the air, I jumped on it and living just south of center city the signal was great, WMMR gave them no problems and WYSP was a bit further out of the area to interfere. For years they were my only listen, enjoyed the automated two current two past hits and a great stereo signal. Then in the eighties Joe Dawson came in and ruined the whole set up. I also enjoyed WPST at the time, also great stereo sound and a bit more cutting edge but a little harder to pull in. So to sum it all up in the 70's decade, when most areas had at least one in market top 40 FM, I had to pull in rim shots for my top 40 fix. Then of course WCAU FM came on the scene but a bit too late for me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom