• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBCN Rocks Again

So that's where "Smoke" went.

Southern Rock rocks btw.

The olden days when WAAF was heavy with Southern Rock was a good time.

Was one of my favorite stations for the short time it had the format!

It was interesting but technically a disaster. The whole thing was automated -- reel-to-reel tapes, I'd imagine, like what John Garabedian was doing at WGTR Natick earlier in the decade -- and the timing kept getting screwed up, with announcements popping up in the middle of songs, or even other songs starting before the song currently playing was done. Some of the mash-ups were comical: Crystal Gayle "duetting" with .38 Special, that sort of thing.

So that's where "Smoke" went.

Southern Rock rocks btw.

The olden days when WAAF was heavy with Southern Rock was a good time.

Love Southern rock and I'm no Trumpster. Marshall Tucker Band, especially. Sounds like a station that could develop a niche following in NC among conservatives and non-conservatives, although likely too old to appeal to advertisers.

Do people in parts of the country with X-band stations routinely tune that part of the AM band? Here in Connecticut, a new station could pop up on 1660 and hardly anyone would notice without a heavy advertising campaign, since X-band stations other than TIS aren't licensed up this way.

Last edited:
In Boston 100.7 had a Country-Rock format that was mostly Southern Rock briefly in the late '70s as WTKK "TK 101".

Close, Eli; it was actually WTTK that was "TK 101".

96.9 was WTKK, another station I truly miss. Within the short span between June 2012 and Jan 2013, I lost both WODS and then WTKK. I used the first person singular in that last phrase because it seems to me that only a handful of the posters here actually gave a rat's patootie about either station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom