• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Anyone ekse missing The Edge?

I'm missing the Edge, but I really like 91.7FM.

It's been a good replacement. My tastes are trending more toward AAA than Alternative here lately anyway.

It would be interesting to see if Entercom could flip one of their newly acquired stations to Alternative (or any form of rock) following the merger with CBS Radio. Out of all the stations Entercom would own post-merger, I think La Grande 107.5 would be the most likely station to flip, considering its low ratings against Univision's Qué Buena 94.1.

Another format possibility for KMVK could be Urban Adult Contemporary, considering that Smooth R&B 105.7 is on a rimshot signal and both Urban Contemporary stations 97.9 The Beat and K104.5 have full coverage of the market.

It would be interesting to see if Entercom could flip one of their newly acquired stations to Alternative (or any form of rock) following the merger with CBS Radio. Out of all the stations Entercom would own post-merger, I think La Grande 107.5 would be the most likely station to flip, considering its low ratings against Univision's Qué Buena 94.1.

Another format possibility for KMVK could be Urban Adult Contemporary, considering that Smooth R&B 105.7 is on a rimshot signal and both Urban Contemporary stations 97.9 The Beat and K104.5 have full coverage of the market.

I don't miss the Edge at all. But I do miss 94.5 the Edge and the fact that we do not have a decent alternative format (other than KKXT but that's more AAA). Entercom owns some really great alternative stations (i.e KRBZ/96.5 the Buzz in Kansas City, KNDD/107.7 the End in Seattle, KKDO/Radio 94.7 in Sacramento, etc.) that play more indie/newer alternative with 2000s and very few 90s (more than your typical "Smells Like Teen Spirit"/"Seven Nation Army"/"Royals" style playlist). So would look forward to see 107.5 flip to alternative if Entercom does so. But I could also see Cumulus blow up 93.3 to try alternative now that Edge is gone.

I do not wanna see another urban station here. I think we have enough of that already.

I don't miss the Edge at all. But I do miss 94.5 the Edge and the fact that we do not have a decent alternative format (other than KKXT but that's more AAA). Entercom owns some really great alternative stations (i.e KRBZ/96.5 the Buzz in Kansas City, KNDD/107.7 the End in Seattle, KKDO/Radio 94.7 in Sacramento, etc.) that play more indie/newer alternative with 2000s and very few 90s (more than your typical "Smells Like Teen Spirit"/"Seven Nation Army"/"Royals" style playlist). So would look forward to see 107.5 flip to alternative if Entercom does so. But I could also see Cumulus blow up 93.3 to try alternative now that Edge is gone.

I do not wanna see another urban station here. I think we have enough of that already.

I watched a video on YouTube about possible format changes that Entercom could do post-merger and shared it on another thread. Although I supported his idea of swapping frequencies for AMP 103.7 and 100.3 Jack FM, most of the user's other ideas aren't good.

I did read somewhere that suggested Cumulus should change 93.3's format to Alternative, but I would like to see if Entercom could return Alternative to the Dallas-Fort Worth market.

The reason why I considered Urban AC is because Smooth R&B 105.7 doesn't cover the full market. It would allow them to cover the format on a full market signal, or if Urban/Radio One had the money to acquire K104.5 and Smooth R&B 105.7 from Service Broadcasting, I could see them moving Smooth R&B to 97.9, giving full market coverage for the Urban AC format.

Or Country... or Spanish language. I also believe that 93.3, 102.1, 102.9, 103.7 and 106.1 have the crap Top 40 covered. It's all the same!

Or Country... or Spanish language. I also believe that 93.3, 102.1, 102.9, 103.7 and 106.1 have the crap Top 40 covered. It's all the same!

Dallas-Fort Worth already has 2 Country stations both owned by Cumulus. 107.5 is already Spanish, and that's the station that would flip formats post-merger.

I did read somewhere that suggested Cumulus should change 93.3's format to Alternative, but I would like to see if Entercom could return Alternative to the Dallas-Fort Worth market.

Even in markets where alternative gets good ratings, it tends to underperform in revenues. So I doubt any company will blow up a profitable format for alternative. Alternative is best done as a non-commercial format.

Even in markets where alternative gets good ratings, it tends to underperform in revenues. So I doubt any company will blow up a profitable format for alternative. Alternative is best done as a non-commercial format.

I didn't know that Alternative does better as a non-commercial format, although flipping 107.5 to Alternative seems to fill in the hole left by KDGE.

Anyways, I found this video on YouTube made by HobbyManZxc who made possible format predictions for CBS Radio/Entercom's Dallas-Fort Worth cluster. I shared the same video with Kent and DavidEduardo, and I would like to know your opinion on these predictions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dVoo_r513Y

I didn't know that Alternative does better as a non-commercial format, although flipping 107.5 to Alternative seems to fill in the hole left by KDGE.

The goal isn't to fill format holes, but to fill revenue holes. If there's money left in Dallas with the country format, you'll see a third country station at some point. It may not be a bit ratings winner, but country makes money.

I said Alternative does better as a non-commercial format because that way it can be the format its audience wants. As a commercial format, it plays too make familiar songs, too many older songs, and plays them to often to appeal to the typical music fan. That's what would happen if a commercial frequency flipped to alternative. It might fill a format hole, but a lot of the format fans would complain about the music.

As far as the video predictions, I would never recommend moving formats. Always a very risky thing to do. The brand is associated with the location. Moving them around for no apparent reason (at least I didn't hear any in the video) is expensive and a waste. It costs marketing money to drive people to the new location. You lose audience until they find it. Also, the lowest rated sports station will make more money than the highest rated alternative station. The goal is making money. Remember that.

Last edited:
As far as the video predictions, I would never recommend moving formats. Always a very risky thing to do. The brand is associated with the location. Moving them around for no apparent reason (at least I didn't hear any in the video) is expensive and a waste. It costs marketing money to drive people to the new location. You lose audience until they find it. Also, the lowest rated sports station will make more money than the highest rated alternative station. The goal is making money. Remember that.

DavidEduardo pointed out very well that these predictions are coming from someone who has a personal agenda. HobbyManZxc only wants Amp and Jack to trade places just because of 100.3's history as a CHR station before the Jack era. There's no reason for Entercom to blow up 105.3 The Fan if it makes a lot of money, and a Soft Adult Contemporary station for the Dallas-Fort Worth market is totally unnecessary. In other words, HobbyManZxc only looks at radio as a personal jukebox and doesn't consider any business necessities, including cluster strategies for both sales and ratings.

The best form of Adult Contemporary I would consider for Dallas-Fort Worth in my opinion would be Urban Adult Contemporary, given that the format only covers half of the market.

Hey Guys Its Robert From HobbyManZxc Thanks For Shearing My Video I May Live In Austin But Dallas Is Way More Close To My Heart!

Hey Guys Its Robert From HobbyManZxc Thanks For Shearing My Video I May Live In Austin But Dallas Is Way More Close To My Heart!

I talked to other people on this website about your format predictions you made for CBS Radio/Entercom's Dallas-Fort Worth cluster. Unfortunately, nobody supported the ideas from your video.

You had some good ideas, like the one where 100.3 and 103.7 would swap frequencies. However, most of your predictions aren't logical. As for what you said about 105.3 The Fan not doing anything, it's doing something alright, and that's making money. Since the advent of PPM, a lot of commercial smooth jazz radio stations changed formats due to the format not being PPM-Friendly. Besides, you can find The Oasis on 103.7's HD2 channel. Soft AC is also another unnecessary format, because KLUV already plays what you would consider to be on a Soft AC station. I would consider Urban AC a likely format for 107.5, mainly because it only covers half the market and both Urban stations cover the full market. My other format predictions are Alternative or another form of Rock, mainly to give iHeartMedia's 97.1 The Eagle a competitor or possibly fill in the format hole left by KDGE.

I could almost see 107.5 going urban but I have my doubts. Hasn't 93.3 tried that? They've flipped so many times now its hard to keep track and the 93.3 signal is pretty comparable to 107.5's. Seems like given 107.5 coverage area that Urban or Spanish is probably the way to go.

Right, make it an Urban again like it was some 30 years ago as KNOK.

107.5 was an Urban radio station(KNOK & KDLZ) from the 70's right up to December 1988 when it flipped frequencies with KMEZ (100.3) and became KJMZ.

and months after this thread was created, the Entercom Merger with CBS Radio was completed and on day one of Entercom ownership of the now former CBS DFW cluster of stations, one of Entercom's newly acquired DFW station was flipped to Alternative Rock, and it was not 107.5, it was KVIL which is now ALT 103.7, DFW's New Alternative after being a top 40 station for a year and under the AMP brand from January to the day of the flip to Alternative Rock.

so the Entercom flipping a station to Alternative Rock prediction was right, just we predicted the wrong now Former CBS Radio station was the one getting flipped.

and also 103.7's format flip happened on the 1 year anniversary of the death of the Edge and nearing the 10 year anniversary of one of the key reasons why The Edge died, which is the rebirth of 97.1 The Eagle, which turns 10 on Dec. 18.

IMO, The Edge died a long time ago (2000?) when it moved from 94.5 to 102.1. Wasn't this when CC bought AMFM?

IMO, The Edge died a long time ago (2000?) when it moved from 94.5 to 102.1. Wasn't this when CC bought AMFM?

Couldn't agree more. 94.5 was always up to newer alternative (at the time) with a nice blend of 80s/early 90s alternative rock. With the move after CC took over AMFM/Chancellor, the music got very stale by playing too much of the same 5 songs from the same 5 bands, rarely any newer music, and the good DJs got replaced by voice tracking. It was sad when the Eagle sounded better between 2000-2004 before they flipped to AC. Around 2005, Edge became active rock/alternative which was a nice change for a while until Eagle came back in 2007. Since Eagle's return, Edge went back to their stale playlist and bland DJs until their demise last year.

With Alt 103.7 up and going, it's nice to hear more currents/recurrents than what the Edge was doing. If only Alt would quit playing stuff from Eminem, Outkast, Ellie Goulding, or any other pop/rap singers, that would be great.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom