• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Goldmine (92.7) Question

If they get their hands on KMVP, a rimshot makes a good flanker for those uppity AM Sports Parking Lots with their FM translators, or as a spillover for 98~Seven

Given The Fanatic is having growing pains with the FCC slow on approving their nighttime power filings and "pesky LPFM's" drowning their East Valley translator dreams, this could be an opportunity. There is one too many rimshots playing whatever that stuff they call "hip-hop" these days, and I'd imagine the Brentlingers and Szalays would sell at the right price...

Given The Fanatic is having growing pains with the FCC slow on approving their nighttime power filings and "pesky LPFM's" drowning their East Valley translator dreams, this could be an opportunity. There is one too many rimshots playing whatever that stuff they call "hip-hop" these days, and I'd imagine the Brentlingers and Szalays would sell at the right price...

They should have kept the translator "serving" Mesa and Gilbert on 99.5. 99.3 is barely audible in Red Mountain Ranch, and with 99.1 close-by (I'm not sure if they've moved off of Usery Mountain yet), that frequency is a non-starter in NE Mesa.

They should have kept the translator "serving" Mesa and Gilbert on 99.5. 99.3 is barely audible in Red Mountain Ranch, and with 99.1 close-by (I'm not sure if they've moved off of Usery Mountain yet), that frequency is a non-starter in NE Mesa.

The Fanatic shut down their East Valley 99.3 translator after a complaint from Scott Kramer, operator of KRWV-LP in Gold Canyon. They moved off of 99.5 because KIIM in Tucson and the KRPH booster near Lake Pleasant were overpowering them. Ron might just be best off buying the 101.9 translator license from Riviera and move it to Fountain Hills with a southwestern beam. He shouldn't be interfering KQSS that way. The downside to operating translators is interference and LPFM's claiming they belong on the frequency because they were there first.

The downside to operating translators is interference and LPFM's claiming they belong on the frequency because they were there first.

True, dat. And the ones with good coverage (like 92~Seven) fetch big bucks. Just scratchin' my fez over the $1.8m price tag.

Well now this thread has gone full circle. As you may remember the original question was regarding the "good coverage" of 92.7 in the near East Valley. Never really got an opinion on that.

Well now this thread has gone full circle. As you may remember the original question was regarding the "good coverage" of 92.7 in the near East Valley. Never really got an opinion on that.

The eastern part of the 60 dbu for this translator is "north of Paradise Valley, eastern side of Scottsdale, middle of Mesa and right between Chandler and Gilbert.

The 60 dbu covers about 35% of the Maricopa County (Phoenix MSA) population.

For whatever reason, the Lumberyard translator on 92.7 K224CJ-FM has bad coverage in Tempe, even though it is close to the transmitter on South Mountain. The signal drops out completely on the US 60 Superstitition Freeway from Priest Drive to Rural Road and doesn’t come in clear again until you are east of Dobson Road. I’m thinking there is a null in the transmitter right there in Tempe because the line of sight to the transmitter is blocked by the eastern end of South Mountain. Further east in Mesa and Gilbert, the signal comes in much stronger than in Tempe, even though it is further away from the transmitter. Go figure!

For whatever reason, the Lumberyard translator on 92.7 K224CJ-FM has bad coverage in Tempe, even though it is close to the transmitter on South Mountain. The signal drops out completely on the US 60 Superstitition Freeway from Priest Drive to Rural Road and doesn’t come in clear again until you are east of Dobson Road. I’m thinking there is a null in the transmitter right there in Tempe because the line of sight to the transmitter is blocked by the eastern end of South Mountain. Further east in Mesa and Gilbert, the signal comes in much stronger than in Tempe, even though it is further away from the transmitter. Go figure!

Lumberyard 14~Forty comes in on the 60 around Priest and Rural Roads..even at night. Plus you always have 93~Three HD~Too for your oldies fix. Now, riddle me this: KSLX & KAZG were always a pair, but KAZG airs on KDKB HD~Too, while KDUS airs on KSLX HD~Too. And KUPD, which has always been paired with KDUS, is Mom's only FM without HD. Go figure!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom