• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Crime down 23% in Bristol, CT in 2016 - I call bull

There was an article in today's Bristol Press that crime was down 23% in Bristol in 2016. I call bull on this.

I know of at least 10 times where the cops responded to incidents at the grocery store I was working at. Of the 10 8 of those were for shopping lifting. (5 of those involved energy drinks and other things, the others involved Tide detergent and other things). Another incident was because a creeper was following a woman around the store. And another incident was because an employee's car got broken into. (Is it really considered getting broken into if you were stupid enough to leave the car unlocked? The employee was arrested because when he was telling the cops what got stolen he including "3 dime bags of weed").

Then two of my former co-workers at the grocery store also work at the liquor store in the same shopping center and told me about several shoplifting incidents.

Then I'm friends with "manager" at Subway in the same plaza. I put manager in quotes because he's a floating manager and the owner of this Subway sends him to other Subway's he owns. He told me one Saturday morning a woman threw a brick through the window of a vacant store in the plaza. Apparently she was angry that the business had closed. The business "Jump N Jammin' was an indoor bounce house type place. And was located in the same strip of stores where Subway is located.

That seems like an awful lot of crime when crime is supposedly down 23%.

So, what you're saying is that your anecdotal evidence is more accurate than (presumably) police department statistics.

Right.

Just guessing, but does shoplifting count as much in the statistics as major crimes like murder, rape, armed robbery, etc.? Yes it's a crime but usually nobody's life is in danger, so it may count as much.

So how many robberies were there in your area a year ago?

Or maybe go beyond that into a 5 year study. Better yet, where is the current information coming from? Is there a link to an actual news article??

Most jurisdictions no longer treat shoplifting as a criminal offense (unless the amount stolen is very substantial).
Most go to civil recovery, which is like suing the thief to try and get your money back. Lots of police departments
don't even respond to shoplifting calls.

The other issue is that local officials will often manipulate crime statistics so as not to harm the reputation
of their town or the local economy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom