• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1430 WXKS power?

Last couple of days have been trouble picking up WKOX 1430AM in the Suburbs.

Have they been on low power or anything?

Thanks!

(Sorry for the headline...it's WKOX not WXKS)

Sounds like their modulation is down too, not sure about power.

Low modulation and a motor boating sound....I was driving all over Boston and ntoiced this everywhere I went...not just ina noisy location.

Is anyone in their building even monitoring the station...or is it all operating out of a closet?

(Sorry for the headline...it's WKOX not WXKS)

I don't tune them in anymore when I want to hear Rush. I get better reception off of sister station WGIR 610 AM out of Manchester, NH.

However, despite the call letter change, 1430 will always be - to me, at least - WXKS(AM), and 1200 will be WKOX. To me this is symptomatic of the chaos permitted on the broadcast bands today: endless call letter swaps; frequent COL modifications; power downgrades; FM translators and LPFMs rendering the FM band crowded beyond all reason. Makes me wish I were the one who had the foresight to have chosen the screen name "Tired Of It All". Some of us really love broadcast radio; I've been in love with the medium for over 56 years, but it seems to be turning away from me. And I don't believe millennials are going to embrace radio the way my generation did.

You are welcome to point out to me why you feel broadcast radio is headed in the right direction.

....this is symptomatic of the chaos permitted on the broadcast bands today: ....power downgrades;

I can only think of one "power downgrade" and that was B101 in Providence....and that was coupled with a power UPgrade of 101.7 in Boston.

Have there been numerous power downgrades that you know of? I can't think of many....

And I don't believe millennials are going to embrace radio the way my generation did.

In our day, radio was a unifying source. We all came together (to the same place(s))for our favorite tunes and DJ's, etc.

The media world has changed due to the numerous other choices now available to people (esp young people)...and the changes radio had to engage in to be competitive.

Radio-locator says KOX is 5 kW day 1 tower, 1 kW night 2 towers.Is it possible "the tower is being painted" or something, hence a temp power decrease? And if not for the fact that no FCC filing has been made or noticed, I'd suggest maybe WMEX might be putting a tower up there just as WNTN did with JIB? (In that case 740 had to temp go off air)..
Again, no official declaration of such a thing.

Sounds like their modulation is down too, not sure about power.

A quick phone call and I was told they "are working on it".

When I asked if they were on low-power or something he said: "It's not working the way it should".

What's interesting to me is how long this has gone on and no one there seemed to know about it.

Do you think anyone in the JAM'n or Kiss108 building is listening to Talk1430...or is it just a "radio station in a closet".

Do you think anyone in the JAM'n or Kiss108 building is listening to Talk1430...or is it just a "radio station in a closet".

It certainly was that when when they aired progressive talk. Sometimes two commercials would play at the same time, then 30 seconds of dead air. Sometimes the network news would end, and they would not switch over to the program that was due...so more dead air. But the worst thing they did was....on weekends, they would air "best of" shows from the previous week, complete with the news, traffic, and weather from the earlier broadcast. So you'd be driving somewhere on Saturday, and hear a traffic report about a backup, but the backup was actually from the previous Thursday...hahaha.

I remember once calling Kiss 108 on a weekend (maybe 15 years ago), to ask if they knew their xmitter on the Pru was cycling on and off. They didn't and thanked me for letting them know...haha.

Seems back at full volume.
For awhile today 1330 was off but 106.1 on.Then I heard it come back on and they were adjusting volume etc

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom