• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KNTH AM 1070 Translator Audio

Glad to hear the new north-side translator for KNTH AM 1070 at FM 103.3. BUT, the expected FM audio excellence is not only non-existent, it’s considerably worse than the AM. The sound of the FM audio signal is actually terrible – sounds like it’s stuck in a lock box at the bottom of the ocean. It’s hard to figure the point of launching an FM translator whose audio spectrum is far worse than the originating AM signal.

Yes, you are. I have one engineer for five locations spread out all over the place.
1. Studios in SW Houston for all three
2. KNTH up on 1960
3. KTEK Alvin
4. KKHT 50 miles east of Houston in Devers
5. KKHT Aux in Baytown
Imagine the travel time it takes between all of those locations. We have ongoing projects at all of those places. It's been handled one at a time.

I'm curious what sort of equipment's being used on 103.3 if it sounds so bad?

I had somebody call yesterday telling me how good it sounds. There are a lot of variables here. What receiver was used? Was it at home? Was it in the car? It's subjective. I will mention to my engineer. In the meantime, I'm hitting the hay. 2AM comes early.

I had somebody call yesterday telling me how good it sounds. There are a lot of variables here. What receiver was used? Was it at home? Was it in the car? It's subjective. I will mention to my engineer. In the meantime, I'm hitting the hay. 2AM comes early.
It sounds good when I drive 45 north by Airtex

Just compare the AM 1070 signal with the FM 103.3 signal, go back and forth, it's easy to hear that the FM (which should have better audio quality) actually "sounds like it’s stuck in a lock box at the bottom of the ocean." I've tried several different radios in several different locations - - Since when did AM radio sound superior to FM? Chuck, I feel for ya, brother, with all the great Salem-signals which I listen to - seems like this newly launched FM was fixable before it aired. Testing, anyone?

The KNTH 103.3 audio is somewhat muddy, and is noticeably lower than other FMs. No such issues with sister KKHT 100.7.

I haven't been close enough to the KTEK 96.1 translator to make any jedfements.

It's ridiculous to think that we didn't test it before it went on the air. This problem happened AFTER it had been on the air for awhile. We are waiting for a fix from Nautel. When that happens, it will be repaired. As far as the "Salem signals" are concerned, I am well aware of their inadequacies and understand the sarcasm. I am a native Houstonian and have spent most of my 45 year career, right here. When 1070 KENR went 24 hours in 1972, little did they know that within 10 years, Houston would outgrow the signal. While most of the population expanded west and southwest, we couldn't. Our obstruction is 1070 KOPY in Alice, in addition to 1090 KULF and 1050 KCHN. KKHT is a move-in, which puts it halfway between Houston and Beaumont. When that translator on 100.7 in Sugar Land comes on the air, it will affect KKHT's signal. KTEK is a daytimer. We do the best we can with what we have. In my travels to Angleton yesterday, KTEK's 96.1 had a good clean signal between Pearland and Angleton.

Earlier, I replied, "...with all the great Salem-signals which I listen to - seems like this newly launched FM was fixable before it aired." No sarcasm intended nor implied about the other Salem signals, they're as good as they can be on my radios. Sorry to report, there's little change in the KNTH FM signal tonight since the AM signal still sounds brighter & crisper = better frequency response. Should be the other way around.

Earlier, I replied, "...with all the great Salem-signals which I listen to - seems like this newly launched FM was fixable before it aired." No sarcasm intended nor implied about the other Salem signals, they're as good as they can be on my radios. Sorry to report, there's little change in the KNTH FM signal tonight since the AM signal still sounds brighter & crisper = better frequency response. Should be the other way around.

It was fine when it 1st came on. AGAIN, I must reiterate that this happened AFTER, it was on. There was a software issue with Nautel sometime after it was installed. Feel free to email me anytime and I will pass it to my engineer. Or, if you like you can email Douglas directly with your observations: [email protected]
I'm sure he will appreciate your input.

Given the talk format, this station should eliminate the stereo pilot and go mono. It'd cover more terrain.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom